brake setting

slaytop

If you are using a Tekonsha Prodigy controller, what is your average setting for the Landmark RV? Which boost level do you use?

When I first pulled my Landmark a brake light wire was connected in error to the plug. //heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/confused.gif Although full power was going to the RV brakes they didn't lock up. Now that the correct wire is attached I want to be sure that I'm sending enough current to operate the rig safely.

busted2341

I thought it was only mine. I also have the Prodigy and cannot make the brakes lock up as the instructions say for brake adjustment. I hooked all wires up as the other brake controler I had. Could that make a difference?

slaytop

Busted2341, I only have an opinion but not enough experience with this coach to be certain. A heavy coach with fresh tires may have too much adhesion to skid on dry pavement. I can feel the brakes dragging but I'm nervous about not having enough power applied to get stopped in an emergency. That is why I am curious about the settings forum members are using.

A member of another rv forum found that he could'nt get the wheels to skid if the brakes were out of adjustment. When they were tightened they would skid. I'm not for grabby brakes but I do want things to work properly.

Larry

busted2341

I can feel them working, expecially when the booster is set, which is a neat addition. I have warmed the brakes and done everything the book says to do. I guess I'll need to check the brakes on the trailer, since in another thread someone complained about the brakes not being set at the factory correctly. Another thing I need to do with this brand new coach. QC still lacking a little.

slaytop

I was reading the "setting the power" section of Prodigy again and it states "If the trailer wheels lock up, slightly reduce power..."

There is no requirement for the wheels to lock up but if they do, reduce the power setting to a point just before wheel lock up.

I don't want to give the impression that the brakes are insufficient because they won't lock up. ABS prevents lock up on the TV to avoid skidding and the trailer wheels should not skid either in an emergency stop.

Wild Wind

We live in the country on a dirt road, and I usually test the brakes on the loose gravel for adjustment. I also check skid marks for each wheel. If I am still not sure, I have my son(who is also a good mechanic) walk beside the trailer. You do not want the brakes to ever lock up on pavement.