ice maker leak fix in 3055 refrigerator

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
This is a bit long, but not as long as the grief it caused.

My wife came into the unit and found a "puddle" in the corner by the left bottom of the fridge, next to the carpet. Curious as she is, she thought that the heavy rain may have caused the water to be blown under the vent area. She dried it out and went on her way. A few days later, another puddle. She turned off the water supply and left the RV for about 2 weeks. When she returned, turned on the water, the puddle is back. SO...I was summoned to fix-it. The imitation wood, pressboard vent under the fridge is now melted into an unrecognizable form of cardboard, and the puddle is weeping up the carpet and woodwork. I first looked at the fridge as leaking condensation on the floor, nothing there. I went to the outside vent to the back of the fridge, removed it, and found a lot of water standing under the refrigerator. I could not find a leak in any line UNTIL the sheet metal cover over the icemaker line was removed. There was the very small pinhole leak that was caused by the "rubbing" of the icemaker line on the metal cover that shields the connection for the icemaker. I am surprised that such a small leak can create so much damage and disruption of marital harmony. I replaced the icemaker line with another Home Depot line and slightly bent the shield so it doesn't rub the new line. a 20 minute project, including disassembly. The connection on the "tee" from the supply line behind the basement wall was also loose, but not spewing. While I had the wall off, I found 2 of the other connections needed to be snugged.
Now, my dilema is to either find a replacement for the cardboard vent, or create a new, improved expanded metal version with a matching wood-tone trim.

tmcran

Man sorry to hear of your problems. The imitation wood is a real draw back to me. I think I would go with a metal grate or anything else but the OEM part. I met an RV'er in Tenn about 2 weeks ago where we were spending a few nights. He wanted to know who made my Sundance. I told him Heartland. He said "oh, that's the RV company that leaks." Well I had to agree-- with my leaking shower, the leaking front bedroom slide,leaking in the basement and etc.. I have had most of these fixed but still holding my breath. Sounds as if you have it under control ...