Help!

kjazz

I have an '08 F-350 King Ranch long bed truck. When I went to pick up our new RV today and have our hitch installed. I was told that they could not put a king pin hitch in our truck and that they would have to use the already installed gooseneck hitch.(installed by the previous owners of the truck) The guy said that the gooseneck hitch was not the problem...it was because there was no place on the truck to place the mounting brackets? Anyone have any ideas on this one? I thought they could install the brackets around the gooseneck and we would be on our way. If this is hopeless, are we OK with the gooseneck hitch?:confused:

CrazyScotsman

Not sure about that, nor what kind of hitch that you were getting installed.I think with the B & W hitch, you used the mount for the gooseneck to hold it in place.
As I say I really don't know, but neighbours B & W has what looks like the ball thingy from his GS hitch holding his 5th wheel hitch in place..

nhunter

On my 06 F-350 they had to remove the rear over load spring bumpers, put the mounts in and reinstall the overload bumpers.

rogerlouden

Congrats on the new rig! I have the same toy hauler that you have and I pull with a gooseneck. There are people on this site that will tell you it's totally wrong but it works great with 0 problems. Go with the shortest gooseneck hitch and drop down the hitch bracket on the camper to level the trailer.

Niles

We have the B & W companion hitch in ours, just a different fifth wheel hitch, it works great. I think the gooseneck hitch will work also, just if you have a problem, not everyone can help you out with a ball type of hitch. The B & W just goes in the hole for the ball hitch. Nice part when you take the hitch out no rails in the bed.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well this is a bit confusing. Kjazz, if you have a gooseneck hitch, is it a B&W turn over ball? http://www.turnoverball.com/turnover.asp

If it is you may use the Companion 5th wheel.. http://www.turnoverball.com/rv.asp

If it is not the turn over ball then you might have to do something different.

Also.. DO NOT use a gooseneck hitch on your 5er before you check with Heartland and Lippert. I believe you may find that if you do that will void the warranty of the hitch and frame. These trailers are not built to take the stress of a gooseneck hitch.

BC

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
While many hitch types can and do work, fifth wheel hitches are highly recommended for very heavy loads by the majority of manufacturers. Of course, sometimes you are limited by the design of your truck or other considerations as to the type hitch you can use. Here is some general info from Offroaders.com on fifth wheel hitches.

"Here is a brief list of hitches and what they can be used for:
  • Ball Hitches: For light to medium loads.
  • Gooseneck Hitches: Heavy loads.
  • Fifth Wheel Hitch: Very heavy loads.
  • Weight Distribution Hitches: Heavy to very heavy loads.
  • Receiver Hitches: Very light loads (spare tire etc).
The fifth wheel trailer hitch offers a number of advantages, that other trailer hitches don’t.
  1. Easier to maneuver: Because the hitch is mounted inside the bed of the truck, it makes it easier to turn corners.
  2. Better Stability: These hitches make the trailers far more stable than other hitches. Stability is always a plus when hauling a heavy load!
  3. Towing Capacity: You can haul considerably more weight with a fifth wheel hitch. Your typical ball hitch doesn’t even come close to being able to haul the same amount of weight.
  4. Safer: It’s much safer because it is more stable, especially for someone who is a beginner, to tow your loads using a fifth wheel hitch.
No matter how you look at it, the fifth wheel trailer hitch is the best hitch for hauling heavy loads. It’s unequaled in stability and towing capacity..."

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have an '08 F-350 King Ranch long bed truck. When I went to pick up our new RV today and have our hitch installed. I was told that they could not put a king pin hitch in our truck and that they would have to use the already installed gooseneck hitch.(installed by the previous owners of the truck) The guy said that the gooseneck hitch was not the problem...it was because there was no place on the truck to place the mounting brackets? Anyone have any ideas on this one? I thought they could install the brackets around the gooseneck and we would be on our way. If this is hopeless, are we OK with the gooseneck hitch?:confused:

I bought and installed a Reese 5th wheel hitch in my 08. I found out there are 2 differiant lower installation brackets for the 2008+. One is a custom fit and the other is "universal" which i used. The driver side frame bracket is really hard to install so they may have gave up. You may choose to remove the existing hitch and start over. Could you post some photos of what you have on there now?

fhollan

B & W Hitch!

When I bought the vehicle listed below in 07, I traded in a 96 F250 7.3. The 06 had a hole in the middle of the bed where the previous owner pulled large horse trailers with a gooseneck. The hitch in the F250 could not be installed in the F350. Something about the rails. So the RV dealer recommended the B & W. I didn't go wrong there. I love it!

kjazz

Thanks!

Thanks for all the good info. Since we have our first trip scheduled for tomorrow I had to act fast. I called the service guy and asked if he could leave the plate in (so we wouldn't have a hole) and just take the brackets off of the ball hitch that was already in there. (Atwood fold over ball) It turns out that the previous owner had a custom bracket made to fit the truck to start with. He said he was willing to try that and after having to take the truck bed off he finally got it done. Thanks for the good input...after all the replies I knew I had to find a way to get the 5th wheel hitch in there. We are new to this and the safer and easier the better for us and everyone else on the road with us. I ended up with a Curt 20K and I think I will like it a lot!:D