towing wth F250 powerstroke

bobadri

I am concerned about towing a Grand Canyon with a 2005 Lariat crew cab 6.0 diesel short bed. My main concern is weight. Any comments?

L'l John

I would suggest that you check your owner's manual to see what your maximum towing capacity for 5th wheel trailers is.
I know that mine is only 14,200 lbs. which limited me to most, but not all of the Bighorn line. Not any of the Landmarks.

Cooper

I pull a 36ft Golden Gate with and 2006 F250 4X4 crewcab. It pulls and stops great. I have pulled it from Dallas to NC and back no problems at all. I would check your weight but I think my GG weight more.

jpmorgan37

I have no problem with my 2500 HD GMC. I added the Firestone Air Bags to keep things level and the Edge module to level out the hills. I don't think you'll have any problem.

BluegrassMan

Hey Guy's:

After seeing all the "newer" rigs, I feel kind of in the back seat. But, that said, I have a 96' 2500HD Dodge V10. My max is 13,600 for the trailer. I have NO problems, even on the steepest hills. BUT, I know that someday WE will be checked against our GCVW's. Some of us will be S.O.L.! Until then there are MANY Farmers, RV'rs, etc. that are just a tad over!

Midastouch

Well ... I have an 05 F250 Diesel Crewcab 4x4 Longbed and I plan on towing a Grand Canyon soon! Will be ordering shortly and I don't plan on having any problem going wherever we need to go!

terawatt

I tow my Bighorn 3500RL with my F-250 Crew Cab short bed 4X4. According to Ford, since '05 the F-250 has a fifth wheel towing capacity of 15,400 pounds (a little more with a V-10 because of less engine weight). I couldn't get a straight answer on the maximum pin weight, but I have had no problems. All they could tell me was the maximum TT hitch weight (using an equilizer hitch) is 1250 lbs and a fifth wheel would be far greater. My back end sinks about 3-4 inches when hooked up.......Hardly noticable (1920 lbs at the hitch pin).

Sawbonz

I tow my Golden Gate with my 06 F250 PSD. I know I must be overweight, but with the airbags it doesn't look it, and I accelerate and decelerate just fine, thank you. I worried about it until someone brought up the cars that we drive. Have you ever weighed one and looked to see what the payload is? I know that in high school we crammed 9 of us with books and football pads into a 280Z. We must have been 1000 pounds over, but nary a hiccup.

Midastouch

I was curious about how those of you with the 05-06 PSD's handle the integrated brake controller (if you have one) on the Fords? Do you install another one (add'l brake controller) for use with the fifth wheel or use the factory 7 way plug/brake system already installed?

Tom of Ypsi

I have the integrated brake control and love it. Towed through the mountains of KY, Tn and GA recently with no problems and it worked as good as Ford says it is suppose to. On my last truck I had a prodigy and find the Ford IBC much better.

terawatt

Midastouch,

No need to install another brake controller. In my case, I had a plug installed in the bed of the pickup that was spliced directly into the existing trailer wiring. I think it is pretty ingenous by Ford to allow your trailer to utilize the same ABS as the truck does. Tom, I bet you enjoyed the standard transmission/engine brake just as well as the IBC. I don't know how people tow without it.

terawatt

J

jerry97

I had a 2005 Lariat CC 6.0 diesel short bed 4x4. It tipped the scales at 7840 with 1/2 tank of fuel. I was looking at a 2005 Landmark Grand Canyon but decided I would be over the GVWR of 10K for the F250.
7840 + 2300 dry hitch weight plus wife, 60 pound Lab, full tank of fuel, 5th wheel, and other miscellaneous stuff. I traded the truck for a 2006 F350 with a GVWR of 11,100. That gave me a little breathing room. Not a lot but I feel better not being over weight. The F350 is not a dually. I drive it daily from the suburbs of Atlanta, GA to downtown Atlanta and didn't want the headache of trying to maneuver a dually in the big city.