Awning (not electric)

sjrellis

Is there a trick to putting it in and out a one man operation? And is a ladder required? It just seems more difficult than it should be. Does anyone have a brochure that shows exactly how to do this? I don't know if Heartland used the same awnings product wide before they went to electric or not. I saw "Dometic" on the underside of the rail(?) while it was out today.

On another note, has anyone replaced the manual awning with an electric one? Thoughts on doing so?

Bobby A

At first I was intimadated by all there is to do involving putting the awning in and out. But once you do it a few times it will become very easy for you. Just take your time, it is a one person job. Yes, you may have to use a step stool or ladder on one side. Not sure if it is doable to change it to an electric one.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If I was with you I could show you how to do it in about 30 seconds but to explain it in writing that is a different story. There is a release latch on the arm. When you release the latch it will roll up almost by itself. You have to be careful or it could rapidly roll in slamming into the side of the coach. My advise to you would be to have someone show you the next time you are out camping. Don't be embarassed to ask, we all were in those shoes once. Can you convert it to electric, yes but it is pricey. Also read your owner manual for the awning, it has instructions in it.

sjrellis

Also read your owner manual for the awning, it has instructions in it.

I thought about that after I posted. I'll check it and see what I find. Thanks.

(I won't be embarrassed to ask for help, but you know how you men are!;))

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
There is a sequence that "has" to be followed. Get a friend to help you put it out, then put it back up. Write the steps down in order. Then you put it out, then put it back up following your directions. Then you get to do it again and leave it out, once you get the directions down.
Not sure if this helps but should be close.
1. Unscrew the big knobs on the inside of the 2 arms, they must be loose,
2. If you have the retainers on the inside of the arms, release them.
3. Use the handy long metal rod to release the catch at the very top right of the awning.
4. Pull the black nylon cord with the metal rod and pull the awning all the way out.
5. Slide the two metal arms out and away from the rv and lock into place.
6. Put pressure on the arms and tighten up the black knobs on both.
7. Release the handle on each arm and raise the awning up, higher by your door, lower on the other side. "always" do this and you will never have a problem with rain water collapsing the awning. (when you do need a new awning, leave the awning level and catch all the rain you can, insurance will cover the new awning thru your rv dealer, i'm told)
8. Go into rv, grab a beverage and enjoy.
9. Reverse the steps to put back up.
10. Never try to put it up or take down after you have had several of the adult drinks as the sequence can't be followed.

charlie51

Just remember when you get ready to let it back in against the rv, to hold pressure on it or the tension on the springs will cause it to slam all the way in against your rv. You don't have to when letting it out, but it's a must when letting it in, this is where a second person is helpful though not required. Just get your routine down and stick to it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just remember when you get ready to let it back in against the rv, to hold pressure on it or the tension on the springs will cause it to slam all the way in against your rv. You don't have to when letting it out, but it's a must when letting it in, this is where a second person is helpful though not required. Just get your routine down and stick to it.

You'll only "slam" it up once before getting the idea down.:eek: Fortunately, it was on the old TT and on our driveway right after we got it. Didn't have a campground full of people rolling on the ground laughing their keisters off. The sound is unmistakeable.

skyguy

And always remember this motto:

It's always better to have the awning in, and wishing it was out, than to have the awning out, and wishing that it was in!

If you think you should put the awning in, then do it now - don't wait until the wind pipes up and really makes a mess of things....:eek:

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
Kenny's steps are perfect, and it is a one man job.

Practice it... hold that black strap tightly.

Hunter

Newby
I assume the awnings are the same as on my North Trail.
I took video during my PDI. If you would like .. a small size movie - of the awning - that you can watch in quicktime, just send me an email with AWNING INSTRUCTIONS in the subject line, I would be happy to send it to you.
jeannineb@rogers.com

SmokeyBare

Someone here at the Rally in Goshen has changed his manual awning to an electric one... and has put the manual one up for sale... hoping to find a new owner before he leaves the Rally grounds...

He too was tired of needing a step stool or ladder to open his old awning... Heartland was very helpful to make the switch while he was parked on his Rally site... He was surprised and very very happy with the chance to get this done so quickly !!

One more Happy Heartland Owner !!!

Marv