BH 3670 - Mfg sticker says only 80 PSI?

wdk450

Group:
I don't forsee being able to weigh my rig anytime soon. The official Heartland sticker on the rig says inflate all tires to 80 PSI. The tire markings say for the rated 3750 lb (?) tires should be inflated to 110 PSI. The GVW of the rig is 16000, with 2 7000 lb axles.
Which is right???

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
For your trailer inflate the tires to 110 psi. Call heartland customer service, give them your model and vin number, and they should be able to send you a replacement sticker with the correct information.

Tire pressure

Are you saying you put your tires at 110 psi in cold condition? I thought my dealer rep said 95 psi when the tires are cold.

ct0218

The pressure ratings for tires are when cold, not when they warm up. It is molded into the tire "110 PSI Cold". Your dealer is wrong. You never check your tires hot, nor do you underinflate so that they reach the max inflation when hot. The tires are designed to take the additional pressure build after they warm up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is no tire pressure sticker on my unit, only one that says to check the lug nuts. The tech during the PDI told me to keep them at 100 psi minimum. I've got them at 110.

ct0218

It really doesn't matter what the sticker may or may not say, you go by the tire manufacturers molded pressure rating, or by the Goodyear load/pressure chart if travelling light. Most are heavier than they think they are, by the way.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The pressure rating posted on cars, trucks, RVs and other vehicles are designed for the best ride. To be the safest use the maximum inflation imprinted on the tire. If the dealer tells you otherwise then they are incorrect. Also this information was verified when I attended a tires safety seminar given by a retired Goodyear tire engineer. He said the same thing. Go by the pressure printed on the tire, and for the most accurate inflation it should be done cold. If your tire is low and air must be added when it is hot, be aware you will not get the correct reading so if you add air you will need to correct it after the tire has cooled.

wdk450

Liability:

Gang:
First of all Heartland service would not send me a new sticker. The rep said "we tell people to go by what is printed on the tire, not what is on the trailer sticker".
Knowing that low tire pressure is the number one cause of tire failure, and the expensive damage that typically happens when a 5th wheel blows a tire, along with how dangerous this can be to the people in the cab of the truck, I can't believe that Heartland is sticking its neck out so far liability-wise on this issue. Labeling 80 PSI as the recommended tire pressure when the tire says 110 psi must make some liability lawyers saliva start to run.

lhetsler

Tire pressure

Everything I have read and I made it a point to read a lot, because of all the tire controversy, says the number one reason for tire failure is underinflation followed by over weight conditions.

I struggled for weeks to decide what pressure to use. I have never thought of 110lbs in a tire, but then I probably have not had G rated tires before.

I finally settled on 105lbs. When they heat up I have found they can go to 124lbs, but understand that is taken to account when rated.

But I agree, go with what the tire says, because you are most likely at or near the maximum weight.

I have found very even tire wear using this pressure.

talley

Well, now I am a little confused!:confused: I may be reading too much into some of the comments. Do we have two camps of "tire pressure" theory, or not?? Are some saying... #1) use the PSI molded into the tire and others ... #2) use a guide with PSI determined by the weight actually carried by the tire? Or, if there no conflict does everyone agree that #2 is the preferred method if you have the information, and #1 is the default PSI.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ooops! Looking at the weight sticker on the front of the trailer, it does state the cold tire pressure should be 110 psi. There is no sticker with tire pressure requirements near the tires, however.

porthole

Retired
Do we have two camps of "tire pressure" theory,

No - the correct pressure is molded into the tire, doesn't matter what any sticker, manufacturer or dealer personnel told you.

Now, if you don't have the correct "weight rating" with "correct" pressure then the wrong tires are on the trailer.

jbeletti

Bill,

The 80 PSI sticker on your rig is wrong. The plant employee who put it on grabbed the wrong sticker. Use the tire markings for PSI. 110 PSI for load range G. Or only if you know your tire-by-tire weights, use the load inflation table. For simplicity and knowing I am at my trailers GVWR, I use 110 PSI.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When we attended the RVer's "Boot Camp" at the Escapade there was a Tire and Weight Safety Seminar. The presenter was a 37 year retired Goodyear Tire and Rubber employee. His job with Goodyear was a tire engineer. He is an expert on tires. His take on the tire issue was this: The tire pressure on vehicle stickers is the "minimum" pressure and manufactures put this rating on for a softer more pleasant ride. Since RVers most of the time load their RVs to at or over (57percent of RV weighed by the RVSEF are overweight) their designed weight ratings, he recommends using the maximum COLD inflation printing on the side of the tire. He also recommended if you find a tire is under-inflated and you have to add air when the tire is hot it is better to inflate to max cold and be slightly over inflated than under inflated. His reasoning on this is under inflation causes heat and heat is a tire big enemy. You can always drop pressure but not always add pressure. The bottom line on his recommendation was to use the inflation on the side of the tire and not on the vehicle sticker. As far as I am concerned, I will go by his recommendation as he is an expert in the field who helped design tires for 37 years.

One final thing I wanted to add is during my years as a driving police driving instructor, all the training I ever received was to use the maximum COLD inflation and not to use the inflation that was on the vehicle. What the vehicle sticker said was 32 PSI, what the tire said was 44 PSI. We used the 44 PSI. I have actually seen the bead on the tire fail when a SEVERE evasive manuver made. And this happened at maximum inflation. Just think what could happen at a reduced inflation.

Sorry this was long but I thought it might clear up some issues. So use the inflation printed on the side of the tire. A G rated tire is 110 PSI COLD. An E rated tire would be 80 PSI COLD.