2005 Ford F250 PSD 6.0

sjarrell

Success through Design
Good day gentlemen, I have a question for you guys. This is my first diesel truck so I am not sure if this is normal but I tend to think not. The other day I noticed for the second time that when sitting at idle with the AC on, when I start to take off.......nothing happens for a few seconds. What I mean is that the truck literally moves at a snails pace. I am assuming that the parasitic loss from having the condenser on coupled with the inherited turbo lag is what is causing this, but I nearly got creamed by a tri-axle because my truck would not move. I tested with the AC off and all is normal. SO do any of you other guys notice this type of low end power loss when you have the ac on? It is fine once it starts moving but there is no speed to it.

-Steve

nhunter

My 06 has a 1 - 2 second turbo lag. These trucks have a variable vane turbo. That means the fins are almost flat at take off to allow the exhaust to get moving. After the exhaust is moving the vanes flare out to "catch" more of the exhaust gas. It could be the A/C is causing some more draw. If it smokes black a bit then it could be your EGR valve sticking open and allowing to much exhaust gas back into the engine. Here is a link to common 6.0l problems, causes and TSBs from Ford.

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60bulletin.htm

sjarrell

Success through Design
Thanks, I'll check it out. There was no smoking at all. Just happens when the AC is on. Very weird...........

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Our 05 Dually is no tire-burner, but we haven't noticed any change in AC or no AC acceleration. If it is the EGR valve, it may still be covered under the emissions warranty. Ours was and was replaced at no charge.

bgscott

I feel a slight lag if I really get on it but I don't think I have the problem you are describing.