TV Jeep Grand Cherokee

Suzy

Is anyone using a Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7 liter V8 w/factory towing package (Class IV) to pull their travel trailer? We're looking at purchasing a NT 26rks and have been told by the dealership that it's not a problem. However, everything I have researched indicates that the vehicle would be marginal for towing this size TT. Any advice you have will be appreciated.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
4 X 4 or 4 X 2? It makes a big difference in your case. Also find out what axle you have. (3:73 etc)

Go find a scale and weigh the Jeep with you and the family plus what you would carry for camping INSIDE the car. Then with the actual weight and the sticker in your door for GVWR and such go here:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

Add 1000 pounds to the dry weight of the TT for a realistic number.

Suzy

The Jeep is a 4 x 4 and the axle is 3.73:1 ratio on P245/70R16 tires. The rear axle has a max load capacity of 2950 lbs.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
The 4 X 4 is good for off-road traction but bad for rear-end loading/tow capacity. Take the info you have and run the numbers on the calculator I sent you in the earlier post.

DMitch

I can pass along my own experience. I towed a 19' Forest River Hybrid with my Grand Cherokee 4.0L. The trailer weighed about 4500 lbs loaded. Did it pull it, yes it did. That said the Jeep is just no heavy enough to be pulling that much or more weight. Plent of power but in my humble opinion not enough vehicle.

All the best,

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I can pass along my own experience. I towed a 19' Forest River Hybrid with my Grand Cherokee 4.0L. The trailer weighed about 4500 lbs loaded. Did it pull it, yes it did. That said the Jeep is just no heavy enough to be pulling that much or more weight. Plent of power but in my humble opinion not enough vehicle.

All the best,

I am sure when the numbers are run in the "calculator" they will see that as well......

I agree with you wholeheartedly. A 26RKS is not made to be pulled by a Grand Cherokee SAFELY! The tail will be wagging the dog!

I pulled a Trail Manor 2720SL (Heavy pop-up on steriods as I called it) with my Grand Cherokee NO PROBLEM but it would not even be considered for my NT 28RLS....

Suzy

Your responses confirm what we suspected. Thank you! We've decided to take a look at the 21FBS & see if that might work with the TV. We'll do the numbers today. Any opinions on the TV and the 21FBS?

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Your responses confirm what we suspected. Thank you! We've decided to take a look at the 21FBS & see if that might work with the TV. We'll do the numbers today. Any opinions on the TV and the 21FBS?

That one is a better fit for that TV but you really need to run the actual numbers with your TV and the factored TT numbers to see. Length-wise you are now in safer territory for sure.

I would STRONGLY suggest an Equalizer WDH/Anti-sway hitch also WITHOUT A DOUBT! Make a deal on it the same time you buy the TT and you will have a better cost-savings and a proper set-up. WATCH THEM INSTALL THE WDH AND ASK QUESTIONS SO WHEN YOU NEED TO ADJUST IT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH IT.

EDIT: ALSO A PRODIGY BRAKE CONTROLLER!!!!

My .02

Last edited:

Jerry Nelms

Traveler
Several years ago I pulled a 24' Sunnybrook, weight approximately 5000 lbs, with a 6 cylinder Jeep Grand Cherokee for approximately three years. We never had any issues but we did use anti-sway controls. We never pulled it very fast but we did pull it. Last year we purchased a Sundance 2800RB TT and are pulling it with a leased Jeep Commander with a 5.7 Hemi. The Commander is a little more vehicle with plenty of power but we do use dual anti-sway controls to help with stabilization. However, we purchased the TT because we knew we would keep the Commander only until the lease expires in February and will not get another. We will get a different SUV in February since we own a party business and my wife must be able to make large balloon orders. A pick-up will not work for this situation. We are thinking Suburban, Yukon, or Expedition.