Prospective Owner Questions

My wife and I are nearing retirement and have plans to buy a 3/4T towable, nicely appointed, under 34 feet in length 5th wheel to travel. Our research has narrowed us down to Crossroads (Cruiser/Kingston) and Heartland (Sundance/ER/BC). In looking at a BC 3250TS yesterday, we were extremely impressed with that floorplan as well as with the overall quality and attention to design details. However, we did think of a few questions about the BC 3250TS we looked at though after we got home.

1) If a VENTED combo washer/dryer unit is installed in the bedroom closet, where is the vent exit location on the exterior of the coach?

2) We greatly prefer the high gloss gel coat exterior that is optional on BH units over the laminated fiberglass sidewalls on the BC 3250TS we looked at, however when we got home and checked the Heartland website to make sure gel coat is an option, it is not listed. The question is can a BC be ordered with high gloss gel coat because it looks so much better with the front and rear gel coat fiberglass caps? If so, approximately how much extra cost and weight does it add?

3) Any chance a 3250TS floorplan will be offered in the BH line in the future?

Thanks for your time in answering my questions.

Dave Salmons

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Welcome prospective owner of the 5th wheeler. We are not fulltimers yet but have had 2 Heartland campers which we have thoroughly enjoyed. Heartland makes a great camper which we have put many a miles on, both in the Sundance and now with the Big Country. We have had our 3250 for over 2 years, putting over 12,000 mile on it. We just got back from a 17 days trip out west and did not have any problems at all. With the open floor plan, we have even had up to 8 people sitting/eating without feeling overcrowded. Have even put up a card table inside for additonal eating space. I think you will really like it.
Sorry but I can not answer your questions but one of the moderators will get back to you soon.
Byrd

itsbeertime

1. Have no idea.

2. I was under the impression that gelcoat was an option.

3. We just ordered (and picked up) a BC 3250TS and added many BH options that are not listed as BC options. No problems. We even did some custom options and they were happy to do those to. All you have to do is ask. :)

B

bwwalczak

Thank you for your inquiry.

On Big Country there is not an vent to the exterior installed from the factory.

Big Country does not offer gel coat option like Big Horn. This option is very expensive. The fiberglass product we use is far superior to the fiberglass that was produced several years ago.

Bighorn has no plans to build this layout.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me directly:

bryanw@heartlandrvs.com

Thanks very much for all of your responses. I must admit though that I'm disappointed to hear that the only way to get gel-coat siding on a Heartland 5th wheel is to buy a BH or LM. Those units are all too long and heavy for us except for maybe the smallest 34'-4" BH model, but it does not have the side aisle all in one bathroom we would want. It's also too bad that the only combo washer/dryer that can be used is an unvented model, which we are not interested in at all.

I know gel-coat is not cheap, however if a customer wants it and is willing to pay the extra premium for it, wouldn't it be good to offer potential customers that option...especially when Crossroads offers it standard on Kingston and as an option on Cruiser.

After looking at the Heartland RV's that we have seen so far I think they are great products built and backed by a fine company, however when it comes time for us to purchase I don't see us buying anything without gel-coat sidewalls and gel-coat caps. Maybe by the time we are ready to order some different floorplans and options will be available from Heartland.

Thanks again to all for your responses.

Dave Salmons...

skyguy

I know I'm in a big minority about this, but we have a BH, and decided NOT to upgrade to the gelcoat sides.

1. Adds like 600 pounds!
2. Much more maintenance - in Colorado, the UV is very harsh, and it's real tough to maintain gelcoat to its high gloss.
3. Can't tell the difference from across the driveway anyway. (Unless you know what you are looking for)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think you misunderstood about the washer/dryer combo. Heartland does not put the vent in, the installer of the washer/dryer does. We had ours installed by the dealer (in the 3670, it goes in the bedroom closet). The vent is located almost directly behind it on the side of the trailer, just behind the front cap. You do not want an un-vented dryer...anywhere.

If you look above my head in the photo, you can see the chrome vent cap.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
In my opinion the gelcoat is grossly overrated. I've had several rv's and if you use a wash/wax when you clean it, it will stay looking good for many years. Stand back 10 ft. And you can't tell tell apart.

John:

Thanks so much for your reply and picture of your dryer vent location. I did misunderstand Bryan's comment and your picture cleared that up for me.

Dave...

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
In my opinion the gelcoat is grossly overrated. I've had several rv's and if you use a wash/wax when you clean it, it will stay looking good for many years. Stand back 10 ft. And you can't tell tell apart.
Agree 100%.
If you are looking for shiny or easy removal of bugs etc. use a product called Poli-Glo. It is a polymer that will bond to the the fiberglass.

The finish on the BC is almost shiny anyway. As Bryan said, much improved over the glass used a few years ago.

Last edited:

itsbeertime

I agree with gelcoat being overrated. Yeah, it's all nice and pretty but there is the extra weight and expense and upkeep. I didn't even think about asking if I could have had it added, and I asked about EVERYTHING. :) I'm pretty pleased with my non gelcoat sidewalls. From a few feet away you can't tell the diff. Now if only the decals were all straight...

Thanks again everyone for taking time to respond to my questions. Your good comments and suggestions are all based on first hand knowledge and experience, so I'm thinking now that maybe my wife and I should re-think our position about gel-coat sidewalls being a "must have".

Dave Salmons...

jimtoo

We had a 06 Bighorn and traded up to an 08 Bighorn. We paid the extra bucks for the gel coat and dual pane windows. We really do not see the dollar value in the gel coat. But, we think the dual pane windows are a great value, helps on heat and cooling and noise.

Jim M

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
JohnsonChili021-2-2.jpg
//heartlandowners.org/image.php?u=504&type=sigpic&dateline=1240338557
After rv'ing...........before rv'ing.

JIM - AFTER LOOKING AT YOUR ABOVE PICTURES, I THINK YOU NEEDED THE TINTED GLASS TOO IN THE RV. THAT SUNLIGHT IS AGING YOU REAL BAD. KENNY