Thermostat

nhunter

Has anyone switched out their mechanical thermostat to a digital one? We keep breaking the switches off of ours with it mounted in the hallway and thought a digital one with no switches would be better.

amullis

Thermostat "Switch Fix"

nhunter.....I did not replace my thermostat ....I made a Lexan guard to protect the switchs from being moved or broken by everyone and my self included. I have a machine shop so this was an easy fix. Air circulates throughout the guard. Slots were milled on two sides and the ends are open. Works well for my unit 3400RL . Hope this is a helpful idea for you.

DSC00960.JPG DSC00961.JPG

Last edited:

ChopperBill

I replace the old Atwood thermostat in my truck camper with a digital one. Very easy to install and works much, much better.

Yes the programmable Hunter thermostat works> I installed one and it is so nice to wake up to a warm rig. You do have to manually change between heat and ac but both are programmable. I did not install the high low fan as there is not room for the switch on that model but I only used high anyway. I would recommend you go with the programmable one.

I picked up the programmable Hunter at WalMart yesterday and installed it. The model is 44155C and cost $25 at WM. As stated, it is nice to wake up to a warm rig.

There was a slight difference in the wire colors in our Landmark from the diagrams in the installation links. The GND (ground) wire was green rather than black. I connected it to the RC/RH jumpered terminal in the Hunter. The Lo-FAN wire was brown rather than the orange shown in the diagrams. Connected it to the G terminal in the Hunter. I did not use a slide switch for the Hi-FAN (blue) wire. I just taped it and left it disconnected. Same with the 7.5 volt red wire.

I picked up the programmable Hunter at WalMart yesterday and installed it. The model is 44155C and cost $25 at WM. As stated, it is nice to wake up to a warm rig.

There was a slight difference in the wire colors in our Landmark from the diagrams in the installation links. The GND (ground) wire was green rather than black. I connected it to the RC/RH jumpered terminal in the Hunter. The Lo-FAN wire was brown rather than the orange shown in the diagrams. Connected it to the G terminal in the Hunter. I did not use a slide switch for the Hi-FAN (blue) wire. I just taped it and left it disconnected. Same with the 7.5 volt red wire.

I have read hear on other threads/posts to always run the a/c on Hi speed, if you run it on low there is a chance of something freezing up, it could of been the condenser but not sure, you may want to do a search or maybe someone will chime in hear on this issue, just an FYI,

Now that Ray has tossed the programmable word out there, I wonder if a truly programmable thermostat would function in our rigs. From my experience with one in our previous home, it's basically an electronic clock that turns on the A/C or furnace at preset times to preset temperatures. My guess is that it would function, but would it really be of any benefit in a RV?

Yes you can install a programmable thermostat in an RV, at least that's what I did in the last 2 SOB's and it will work. I used a ritetemp 8022C thermostat I found at HD because at the time I couldn't find a Hunter 4299B. However we don't use the programmable feature even at the house! We like the temp to be consistent so we just set the temp on 1 digit and leave it! I might install the Hunter in the BH but for now the analog works fine. I found the ritetemp idea via a writeup on the RV.Net but it needed a few changes. I did a write up on how I did it. Here's the link: http://www.rvhorizons.com/rvtech6.html

It's been a long time since I had a programmable unit (in the previous house). I forgot that even though we could program temperature changes for when we were home vs. at work, we still had to manually change between A/C and heat. It did not automatically switch to maintain a constant temperature. I was told later by a HVAC tech that it was more economical to just set a comfortable temp and leave it there. Modulating it actually forced either unit to work harder.

Yes all the programmable thermostats that I've seen still have to be set it for AC or heat. Probably because the thermostat part of the AC and heat works in reverse of each other, ie, when it gets colder, the furnace stays on, but on the other hand, if it gets colder, the AC will turn off. Still need a touchie, feelie human to operate a thermostat! ;)