Retrofitting new latches

Peteandsharon

I have seen that the new Bighorns have a new and different latch on the storage compartment doors. That looks nice. Two questions: Does this get around the issue of the old latches having the common 751 key? In other words are these new latches uniquely keyed? Secondly, can these be retrofitted on a 2008 Bighorn?

Thanks,

Pete

Chuck Richard

I remember seeing in an earlier post I think from Jim that the keys are changed which is good but the design is not possible to retrofit to the earlier units. I have a 2009 and also really like the new door hardware.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
What do the locks look like on the Big Horns? I changed my locks out to the round key design as they seem to operate better.

Attachments

• RndLoc.JPG
    RndLoc.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 53

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Great question about changing the locks out. We have tried to get new latches but the standard replacement latches, which also have the same keys, don't fix my BC doors. Sometimes we haven't felt real comfortable leaving out camper and would like to have different keyed locks. Maybe the factory rep can give me a direction on getting different locks.

jimtoo

For new latches you can go to almost any hardware store and buy new locks. They may need to order them for you so they will be keyed alike. You will need the barrel length because they come in several different sizes. Or you can go to a lock smith and he can rekey your old ones or sell you some new ones keyed alike.

Jim M

jnbhobe

Well Guys I get you up to date in a couple of days. I am scedueled for retrofit slam doors on tuesday I'll let you know how they turn out.Jon :confused::confused::confused:

skyguy

We have the new doors on our 2010 3670BH, and have grown to like them a lot! I wasn't sure at first about the main door being on pistons, and not folding all the way up against the side of the RV when the door is open. It probably goes to about 30 degrees away from the sidewall, and that seems to be fine.

The latches are great, but I'm not impressed with the locks - they seem pretty cheap. Once I juiced them up with some silicone spray, they seem to be working much better.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
jnphobe - Would you please let us know how your retrofit turns out as we are waiting on a quote to have ours done. The dealer said they will do it and the tech it is relatively easy. Said the only thing they have to do is square off the corners of the existing opening and the new door will go right in. Let us know how it goes.:)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks Jim for the info. Will double check with our Ace hardware folks. Didn't even think about using them.

geeksrus

For new latches you can go to almost any hardware store and buy new locks. They may need to order them for you so they will be keyed alike. You will need the barrel length because they come in several different sizes. Or you can go to a lock smith and he can rekey your old ones or sell you some new ones keyed alike.

Jim M

I ordered mine from here: http://www.mrlock.com/eshop/locks/mfg/lsda/tubular_cam_locks.html

I got the 1 1/8 locks with matching keys.

Eh!

Pulltab

To the original poster, you can not just change those latches, you would have to upgrade to the complete door assembly. Not exactly sure but I have heard it is about a $1000 charge to update the doors to get the new motorhome type latches.

fhollan

Keyed the Same!

I changed the locks to all compartments last month. A friend, who's also a locksmith came down, looked at them, took measurements, and ordered the locks. They're the round ones and keyed the same. I did use the same cams since the ones that came with the locks were to short. Works fine!

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I have the slam doors. Love them. However had problems with one when we picked it up from the dealer on day one. It rubbed on the top of the frame when we opened the door, figured it would be only a minor adjustment and i accepted the rv and figured i would adjust the door later. After using the door a few weeks it kept getting worse. Tried to adjust it and figured out it was the outer part of the door coming unglued from the styrofoam center of the door. Called heartland and reported my problem. Asked if i could try and glue the door back together as my dealer was 2 1/2 hours away. They said they would send me a new door if i thought i could change it out. They sent the door no charge ($485.00) list price on the packing slip. I was expecting only the door which i needed. I received the complete door, frame and new lock, all installed and ready to install. (made by lippert) no problem changing it out,and installing the unit. (had to work to get the old door out as it was glued and screwed to the rv). Have had the new door in a month or so, guess what, it is starting to do the same thing, coming apart. I think this time i will put 2 pop rivets thru the door on the top to fix the problem. anybody else having the same problem?