Speakers in living room

aatauses

We have a BH 3670 and cannot seem to get all speakers in the living room to work, only the 2 next to the tv---the 2 across the room are not working? I think?? I have the cd wired correctly---is there a special switch for the other 2 speakers? Are all 4 speakers supposed to be on at the same time?
The 2 in the bedroom have switches and they seem to work fine.
thanks
aatauses

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I'm not sure what year model you have but in our 08 BC, we throw out the Colby that came with the 5th wheeler and put a 5 channel surround sound receiver. I do think the newer models use different types of units now. It took some juggling with trial/error wiring but now all the speakers/subwoofer works great. It seems like the Colby receiver also did not send the signal out to all speakers, even after checking all the speaker wires, therefore out it went. Before we changed the units, we even had the dealership try to figure it out with no avail. Now I have all five speakers working great and can even balance the sound. Best of luck.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I think your right. When my ipod or computer are used to play music only the two front ceiling speakers are playing. If I play a DVD movie the rear ones work just fine.

itsbeertime

I think most of this stuff is wired wrong. Our speakers (all 4) in the living room work when just playing the radio. But a few we were looking at when we were still just looking only the front speakers worked. The radio itself (along with the rubber antenna) are a piece of junk though.

jbeletti

I rarely use my surround unit in the RV but this may help some better understand.

There are various modes that some brands of surround systems can be put in.

Surround sound does not mean merely that sound comes out of all speakers all the time. TV, Movies, Radio must be playing programs/material that includes surround channels. When surround channels are included and when the surround system is in surround mode, the surround speakers should work.

That said, for 1 (mono) and 2 channel (stereo) programs/material, on some brands of surround systems, there "may" be a setting that allows this non-surround material to play through the rear channel speakers and this may be why some of you are getting iPod songs for example to play through all 4 speakers.

Jim
Not an expert on this...

itsbeertime

Thanks for adding that Jim. I should add that we have the junky Jensen digital radio/dvd/cd player thing, not the nicer (?) outboard surround unit. They wanted another $1000 (HAHAHA!) to add that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have a BH 3670 and cannot seem to get all speakers in the living room to work, only the 2 next to the tv---the 2 across the room are not working? I think?? I have the cd wired correctly---is there a special switch for the other 2 speakers? Are all 4 speakers supposed to be on at the same time?
The 2 in the bedroom have switches and they seem to work fine.
thanks
aatauses

Should have 5 speakers on the ceiling (two over the sofa, three over the TV), along with the subwoofer box in the cabinet under the desk. Or wherever they put it if you have the fireplace. My 3670 has the Samsung DVD combo. The speakers all work with the radio, DVD, or CD, but I cannot get decent surround sound with the TV only. As for the crappy rubber antenna with the homemade connection to the Samsung, disconnect it and run a cable coax via a splitter from the connection for the television. Superior reception. Be sure to turn on the amplifier button for the bedroom TV connection, though.

itsbeertime

@JohnDar: I've been messing with the stupid radio/antenna. How do you get to where the wire is connected to the antenna to disconnect it? I've look for an adapter with the stupid motorola plug on one end and a F connector on the other, but they don't exist.

jbeletti

itsbeertime,

Hope you get your rig to your liking soon. I'm finding your adjectives interesting ("stupid", "junk", "junky").

Be happy and happy camping.

Jim

itsbeertime

itsbeertime,

Hope you get your rig to your liking soon. I'm finding your adjectives interesting ("stupid", "junk", "junky").

Be happy and happy camping.

Jim
Lol. All in all I'm actually pretty happy with it Jim. :) We ordered a lot of extra things that aren't standard options and everything came through just the way we asked. I was worried it was going to be messed up, but not. I was pleasantly surprised. Now my dealer has my laundry list of problems to work out with Heartland. Right now the radio *is* a major complaint since it gets used more than anything else. And my teenage daughter LOVES the "**** off your neighbors" (outdoor) speakers. :) But it sucks when everytime you walk past the radio or close the screen door the radio fades in and out. I mean come on, it's not rocket science.

jbeletti

I hope we get your punch list taken care of. As for the radio, yeah, sounds like something is not right or you are not getting a strong signal. I have not heard of anyone having good luck with the rubber duck antenna. I have heard recently of some having excellent results connecting the bat wing antenna to the radio using a splitter.

Unconventional? Perhaps. Effective? Apparently. Consider it.

Jim

itsbeertime

Thanks Jim. That's what I'm trying to do with the antenna. I guess I'll just have to cut the coax and put an F connector on the end. I already have the splitter out there ready to go. I was just trying to figure out how to do it without cutting wires. Someone said to disconnect it from the antenna but i don't see how I'm going to get to the back of the antenna to do that. My last rig had a metal antenna mounted with a spring on the roof and it worked just fine. Why did Heartland have to try and reinvent the wheel here I don't understand.

jbeletti

Can't tell you why we chose that antenna as I do not know. I doubt you'd have any luck removing the antenna end of the coax. What style connector is on the back of your radio? If it is an F-connector, all you need is a coax jumper (F-male to F-Male) from your splitter to the radio's FM radio input.

If it's some other style connector on the radio, then you may find an adapter at Radio Shack. What is the model of your Jensen unit? Someone else here can find a manual online to review the back panel, determine the connector type and source the right adapter.

Jim

jpjulian

I had to add an audio cable to get the speakers to work off the TV only. Now all I have to do is turn on the surround system and select AUX for the output and all works fine.

jj

itsbeertime

Can't tell you why we chose that antenna as I do not know. I doubt you'd have any luck removing the antenna end of the coax. What style connector is on the back of your radio? If it is an F-connector, all you need is a coax jumper (F-male to F-Male) from your splitter to the radio's FM radio input.

If it's some other style connector on the radio, then you may find an adapter at Radio Shack. What is the model of your Jensen unit? Someone else here can find a manual online to review the back panel, determine the connector type and source the right adapter.

Jim
The connector on the back of the radio is the same style they use in cars (or at least used to use). It looks like a banana somewhat and I think it's called a Motorola plug. I searched the internet already for an adapter with that plug on one end and an F connector on the other. First time in my life I ever searched for something and didn't find it. Unbelievable. The radio is a Jensen AWM970.

itsbeertime

I had to add an audio cable to get the speakers to work off the TV only. Now all I have to do is turn on the surround system and select AUX for the output and all works fine.

jj
I had to do the same. Luckily I have boxes of cables in the garage.

itsbeertime

180px-Motorola_Plug.png

Motorola plug.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
@JohnDar: I've been messing with the stupid radio/antenna. How do you get to where the wire is connected to the antenna to disconnect it? I've look for an adapter with the stupid motorola plug on one end and a F connector on the other, but they don't exist.

Sorry, missed your post. I searched for an adapter and could not find one. Went to Radio Shack and asked and was told it did not exist, which was probably why HL jerry-rigged one. I just disconnected that "adapter" from the back of the Samsung and left the wire sitting in the back of the cabinet. I do need to look for a right-angle coax connector because the cramped space behind the Samsung is causing the insulation cover on the standard cable coax I put in there to tear from the strain. Looking at your picture, that's the banana plug from the antenna. On my Samsung, the antenna input is a standard cable RG-6U connector (I think that's what it's called). Same as a cable TV connector. To interface the two disparate connectors, they made (evidenced by the loose electrical tape wrap) an adapter. You would have thought that somebody in Engineering would know how to spec out the correct parts from suppliers to avoid something like that.

wdk450

Antenna Connector - Testing Speakers

I have a strange antenna connector on my Coby DVD/Surround receiver which I have never seen before in my 40 years as an electronics tech. What I finally used to wire the antenna input to the TV antenna coax wall connector was a "push-on F connector adapter" from Radio Shack. Bend the middle wire on the adapter a little off to one side to make sure it connects with the center connector of the antenna jack.
Here's a link:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103581
I find these are good for the park hookup TV cable, too.

To test your speakers, you need to disconnect the speaker wires from the DVD/Receiver (noting where the wires go for reconnection). A voltmeter set on the lowest resistance scale should cause a noticeable scratching sound when connected across that speaker's wires. You can also connect a AA or AAA battery across the wires and listen for the scratching sound as you connect.
Good luck