Help with refrigerator coming open

tkrejdl

Help we are having a problem with the door of the refrigerator staying shut when we are traveling. I always check it before we leave and it seems tight but when we get to the campground there is always something for the refrigerator on the floor. Does anyone else have this problem ?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That's a tough one to diagnose without seeing your latching mechanism. Check the side of the door on your fridge and on the inside of the frame, the perimeter of the opening to see if both are aligning correctly. Dometic has changed the way some reefers latch. After you close the door, can you pull it open without squeezing the release? Maybe a loose door hinge is allowing the door to "bounce" enough to allow it to get past the latch...Latches when sitting still and releases when going down the road.

GeorgeH

If it's same as in a 3055RL, door has spacers in hinge to raise up and down which changes alignment with the latch.

lhetsler

Refer door

When closing the door make sure you hear a distinctive click that tells you it is latched shut.

zztop

Refer doors

We had that problem last year on our second trip. The door actually fell right off and broke the pin in the hinge. Do not carry any items in the door. We had a new door installed. We are in Canada now on our way to Alaska. Now, the oakwood panel is dropping out or just sliding to the floor when the door is opened. There is a plastic flange the width of the door with 4 little clips that is supposed to hold the wood panel on the door. I think it is going to take screws, screwed in through it, to do the job. The plastic flange is a joke! If anyone has some ideas please let me know....

Our unit is just 1 week out of warranty.

ZZ

zztop

Your Dometic refer warranty is greater than 1 year. Contact Dometic directly.

Dometic USA
800-544-4881
Dometic's Website
eMail Dometic

Jim

Jim,

I contacted Dometic today. We just returned from Alaska last night.They said that there were supposed to be 2 dowels in the door to hold up the wood panel on the door.
They are sending the dowels and a new plastic flange to me. They will not cover any labor. They said that I should be able to fix it myself.
I guess that is the best I can ask for.

ZZ