EMS Protection

slb714

Looking at going with the progressive EMS for my cyclone, thoughts on getting the plug in portable EMS PT50C or the one to hardwire EMS HW50C ? I can't decide...help me!!!!!!!!!

Pulltab

Go with the hardwired, you won't have to worry about anyone stealing it and once you have it installed you never have to worry about it again!

You won't find a better warranty from an aftermarket supplier other than Fan-tastic!

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I have the portable PT50 and like it real well. Bought a cable and lock and locks up real good on post.
Bill

talley

:)I bought one and installed myself about two months ago (EMS50C). With it being hardwired, it is there. You don't have to keep up with it... just plug the coach line into pedestal and you are there. No worry about it walking off. Many are comfortable with lock or don't feel one is necessary. But if you go ahead with the hardwired unit there is no question (short of a burglary). Now for the rest of the story... I have full-timed for the past two & one-half years. Had no power problems that I was aware of or which had caused me any damage. My current trip to the Heartland Rally was first since installing the EMS. At one camp location the EMS cut the power shortly after setting up. Indicated low voltage (below 104) as the reason.:( It re-set and after a short time cut power again. It reset again and I monitored the remote EMS monitor and saw readings for a while of 108 & 109 volts. After a while the readings returned to level of 114 or so and I had no other problems. Don't know what was happening or if there would have been and damage if I did not have the EMS... but I sure feel better with it.... and with it hardwired I won't neglect or become too lazy to plug it in.:)

Jerry

Pulltab

Low voltage will KILL a splendide washer dryer in a heart beat! New board will set you back about $300...................almost the cost of the EMS

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had the hardwired unit, with the remote display, installed by my dealer. After looking it over (and moving the main unit from where they put it), I could have easily done the whole install myself. With the hardwired unit, you don't need a padlock, don't need to worry about it growing feet, and if anything does go wrong, Progressive is there to help you.

slb714

To the guys with the hard wire units do you hook it up to protect from the generator power also or just from plug in power?

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
To the guys with the hard wire units do you hook it up to protect from the generator power also or just from plug in power?

I have mine after the transfer switch so it protects from both. Some just put it on the shore power line only. While most generators produce fairly stable power, I did not want to be the one in a million that plugged into a genny that had a problem. Also, I have the gen prep up front and wired a 25 foot 30amp power cord to the factory installed junction box. I did not want someone to inadvertently grab that cord and try to plug it into a park power pedestal if I happen to not be around when setting up. I always try to think of what "might" happen and err on the side of safety.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use the portable one and use a bicycle cable lock to lock it to the power pedestal. I like the portable one because I can take it to the pedestal to check the power before we even back in. If power is bad I can move to another site.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I have the portable 50 amp EMS and its very cool. I do exactly what Jim does, so I can check the power source before I hook up. I would have had to hire someone to hardwire it, and EMS told me that replacing the hardwire model creates more costs. On the other hand I am taking the chance of someone stealing it from the pedestal. Hopefully my good karma will protect me LOL.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One question I have.. If you get a bad electrical charge and it destroys the voltage protection device, do you think if the thing melted, melted the wire going into the trailer, could it possibility damage the trailer. If for some reason it caught fire from a bad fault how would you put it our or the wiring to the device.

Yes an external can be stolen. You can lock it on the pedestal but they can unhook it from your coach or if you have it wired into the coach they can cut the cord and get the device also. I would really dislike (hate) to have mine stolen but I would dislike it even more if they stole the entire power cord. But if they were after copper they will most likely take the power cord also.

What we can try to do, is depend on our fellow RVer's to keep a watch out for each other and get involved if someone is poking around someone’s coach..

BC

porthole

Retired
Got it- the "EMS" was confusing me (being in the fire service)

I have looked at similar items for my past trailer but since it was used when I got it never bothered.

But have been considering something of this nature for our new trailer when built.

Just a toss up over the surge protector type or the transformer type.

At marinas the voltage can fluctuate so much that many of the bigger boats use some for of transformer.

I never checked the voltage at any of the campgrounds we have visited. But, considering out new trailer will have 3 TV.s 2 AC's a W/D and who know what else I will be putting something in.

At the minimum the entertainment center (Cyclone) will be run off a UPS (battery backup).

I use two UPS's now, one for the computer one for all the AV equipment in the main TV room.

Just like to have clean power for the expensive stuff.

lhetsler

Ems-pt50c

I use progressive industries EMS-PT50C and recently it was showing that I needed to replace the surge unit. I called Progressive Industries and they said I should send it in. I did and 6 days later I got it back. This was excellent customer service and I just wanted to give them credit. To fix or replace their products in just 6 days included shipping time to them and back to me was outstanding.

Now I have protection during this busy camping season. And the cost was 0, they stand by their product.

And I don't know that there was anything wrong with the unit, it may have just prevented a meltdown in my Bighorn. It may have just been doing its job. I am glad I had it.

Mariposa

I had my EMS from Progressive fail. One call and a new unit was sent, without any questions. Was told to use the box and send the old one back. good service was a surprize for me.
Bob

4ever

Where have you guys mounted the hard wired units? I have a Bighorn 3410RE with the power cord reel. Any sugestions?

Thanks

Ted