Black Tank Flush leaking in Bathroom

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Flushed my black tank today (3670 RL) 08 model. Got a bad water leak inside bathroom wall:mad:. I know the line goes up inside the wall and the reason for it. Had water on steps and in the kitchen, plus in the basement. The wall the line is in is beside the toilet.
What Is the best way to access the line? Remove the inside wall in the bath!
It's a pain that a person has to go thru all this trouble because someone didn't tighten a fitting tight enough. (Quality Control):mad:
Got to check the converter and make sure it didn't get wet.
Bill

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, try removing the round access plate below the shower fixture. Reach in there and feel around for your back flow check valve. It may be in there and if so should be easy to check and tighten the fittings. I was at the factory yesterday and the Big Country has a similar position for the shower and they have started putting the valve in that wall. They may have started putting it there for yours too. Won't hurt to check.

tmcran

I have yet to use the back flush system in my 2009 Sundance 2998RB. I have heard of a number of folks that get flooded when they use the back flush. I did remove the access panel in the shower below the fixture. Not sure which lines to check for. I just barely get my hand in there. I did tighten the ones on the hot and cold lines. Is the Sundance like the others? I have a wand I can put down the toilet and have used that ok.

bsummit

Ray, I found mine behind the wall just to the right of the toilet. It was a pain to get the panel off but I made it. The fittings were loose and I tightened them up and had my DW watch the diverter valve for leaks while I turned the water on for flush and she got a good shower. I guess the valve is bad and I think a seam in is leaking also.
I thought about doing away with the valve and replacing it with a 90 deg fitting and leaving it in the wall or pull the lines down and putting the valve in the area down below. Anyone else with suggestings or comments please chime in.
Bill

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have a Big Country for over 2 years and a Sundance for a year before that and haven't had any problems with the back flush system. Hopefully it's as simple as just a loose connection.

Ray LeTourneau

I thought about doing away with the valve and replacing it with a 90 deg fitting and leaving it in the wall or pull the lines down and putting the valve in the area down below. Anyone else with suggestings or comments please chime in.
Bill
The valve is a safety feature that prevents any water from the black tank coming back through the line into a fresh water hose, connection or any escape of contaminated crappy water. I think it's a better idea to replace it but route it somewhere for better access in case it fails again. I believe according to the RV manufacturers code in needs to be installed higher than the highest fixture in the RV, that being the shower.

bsummit

UPDATE Well after several hours after the leak I have discovered the converter is fried. Why did heartland put that valve above the converter?
And another thing, they need to consider mounting the converter in a more convient location. You have to remove all the partition's, vac and everything else in the way to get to the converter. I am not a happy camper.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Actually, they may have moved the converter. On my 2009, it's accessible by removing the basement wall panels, but the vacuum cleaner is not in the way. It sits on the floor panel above the black tank...under the toilet. As for using the black tank flush unit, from all of the problems that may arise, I think I'll opt for using my thru the toilet wand and the Drain King sewer adapter.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I use my San-T-Flush on my BH. It is very noisy and I would like to replace it. I have a friend that removed the back flush that ran up behind the toilet room and ran a hose to the black tank opened up the hose inside that cleaned the tank. I think he installed a new ant siphon valve and it runs better.

I also take a hose into the toilet room and fill the toilet and drain it at least 2 or 3 times a month. I believe this keeps my toilet and lines clear better than anything else.

FWIW
BC

Niles

Help me understand this, is the flush line ran up the wall to a check valve then back down the wall to the tank?

itsbeertime

Help me understand this, is the flush line ran up the wall to a check valve then back down the wall to the tank?
Yes. I need to check mine and see if it's in the shower access hole. Someone from Heartland (I think) said recently that they started putting it there where at least you can get to it. With all the problems and leaks you would think they'd work on fixing this.

SmokeyBare

The Check Valve must be located by CODE... higher than any trap in the plumbing system.

The Valve is in place to prevent the risk or chance for any contaminated water from back flowing into the fresh drinking water system. This could happen if the pressure of the water system was lost. Such as a break in a water main.

Ray LeTourneau

Yes. I need to check mine and see if it's in the shower access hole. Someone from Heartland (I think) said recently that they started putting it there where at least you can get to it. With all the problems and leaks you would think they'd work on fixing this.
I had mentioned earlier that while I was on the Factory tour, I saw 3 Big Countrys in process and the anti-siphon valves were located behind the shower access hole in that particular model. It would make sense for them to locate them in that position on any model where that would work. I'm pretty sure they don't anticipate them leaking but as we all know, leaks happen. I had commented to Brian Walczak, our tour guide, that I thought it was a great idea to locate the valve there.

Niles

Thanks, I agree that behind the shower would be the answer. I am sure that mine is in the wall, which doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling at all. But I haven't had a problem with it either,and if I do will just reroute it up the shower and disconnect the existing one, a couple of coupling should be easy to do, I HOPE.:rolleyes:

bsummit

An UPDATE on my situation. I got the valve replaced in the bathroom wall and it was not fun but it works and it don't leak. I also got the burnt Converter replaced and that was a holy terror to get to that, many hours time to replace. I relocated the converter and mounted it higher than floor level. Camping world had the Inteli Power 9260 on sale for 159.99. Filed a claim with my insurance and should break even after my deductable. Bottom line, I don't want to do this again for a long time.
Bill

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I had mentioned earlier that while I was on the Factory tour, I saw 3 Big Countrys in process and the anti-siphon valves were located behind the shower access hole in that particular model. It would make sense for them to locate them in that position on any model where that would work. I'm pretty sure they don't anticipate them leaking but as we all know, leaks happen. I had commented to Brian Walczak, our tour guide, that I thought it was a great idea to locate the valve there.

Mine is not located behind the shower access. It is in the wall between the toilet and the kitchen sink.

And it leaks.

tmcran

Checked my 2998RB. There is a second connection in the shower access hole with a black plastic cover on top. Looks as if it covering an electrical connection??? any ideas?

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Ray, I found mine behind the wall just to the right of the toilet. It was a pain to get the panel off but I made it. The fittings were loose and I tightened them up and had my DW watch the diverter valve for leaks while I turned the water on for flush and she got a good shower. I guess the valve is bad and I think a seam in is leaking also.
Bill

My BH had the same problem with the valve breaking and fried my converter. My dealer showed me how to take the paneling out of the closet behind the toilet. After removing the trim it was not a problem. The dealer had replaced the valve with another plastic valve instead of a better brass valve. I just removed it, bypassed with an elbow fitting, checked for leaks and now I feel safer without that cheap piece of plastic in line. I was fortunate that mine happened in warranty.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I can say with certainty that the anti-siphon line is NOT behind the shower wall access hole in my '09 BH3670. Only thing you can reach through there are the fittings for the shower valves.