Chev 2500HD or 3500HD

dphillips56

lst time RV buyer
We are about to purchase our first rv -- a Bighorn 3600RL, but we're unsure whether we'll need the Chev 2500HD or 3500HD (we're sold on the duramax engine) Anybody have advice for us newbies?

jimtoo

Hi Debbie,

First welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here, and they have a lot of good information.

I have an 04, GMC 3500 dually, crewcab, duramax. For the difference in price between the single wheel and dually it is not that much, and for me, it makes all the difference in stability when towing. I feel so much safer, and feel like I would have more control in case of a flat on the rear of the truck. You will most likely have a pin weight of 2700 to 3000# when your loaded to go camping. Your 3600RL will have a gross weight rating of up to 16,000#. I think you will be much better off with a 3500 dually.

My 2 cents.

Jim M

aussiedog

Chevy 2500

We just returned from our first RV (5000 mile) trip. We have the smaller Big Horn (love it!) with the Chevy 2500 Duramax and had no problems at all.

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
The OLD 2500HD vs the 3500HD question... There is no right answer. There are many factors to consider.

We recently spent time with a couple that uses a semi to tow their fifth wheel. His semi never is over worked. Best of all, one can buy a 5 year old semi for $20-25K that is in great shape. Compare that to the $38K for a new Duramax pickup.

So many choices.....

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
We are about to purchase our first rv -- a Bighorn 3600RL, but we're unsure whether we'll need the Chev 2500HD or 3500HD (we're sold on the duramax engine) Anybody have advice for us newbies?

With a "margin for safety, wear and tear, plus stayin within the parameters of the truck itself" YOU NEED the 3500HD Duramax/Allison combo.

I know alot of people out there are pulling with the 2500 but for no more than the 3500 costs this is actually the vehicle you need.

Depending upon the 2500 you are looking at: "work truck, LT1, LT2 or LTZ the weight as specified for the vehicle is the STRIPPED WEIGHT of the work truck. On the scales with mine I weighed in at 7,220 versus the "book" at 6,200!

9,200 GVW only allows me 1,980# for DW, other stuff in the TV and PIN WEIGHT!!!! Towing is not affected however you must have the 3500HD for the extra hauling capacity!

If you want a GREAT AND BRAND NEW 2008 2500HD (Duramax/Allison) with Linex and truck chest I will gladly sell you mine at a great price so I can buy a 3500HD. First $32K gets it! Less than 4k miles on it and it has never towed anything!

HRAI

If you want to be legal, get the 3500 dually. The 2500HD CAN definitly do the job, but if you get into an accident or are spot checked, you will be in trouble. I have a 2500HD pulling a 3300BHS and it is overweight by approximately 800 pounds per gross vehicle weight rating. I'm ok by every other aspect (GFAWR, GRAWR, GCVWR, etc...).

Just be sure you read up on weight ratings, limits, etc... There have been many threads discussing this issue. My advice is to be at least legal, not overweight. Sure the truck can pull it, but can it stop it safely. I will likely be changing mine at some point myself...

Guy

porthole

Retired
2500HD SRW and 3500 DRW have the same brakes. The 3500 DRW besides having the extra wheels also has an extra leaf spring.

If you take the time to read all the towing guides even the people with 3500 DRW are overweight with many of the larger toy haulers.

I have 3 "Trailer Life" trailer towing guides in front of me, 2 for 2006 (my truck) and 1 for 08.

My truck, a 2006 2500HD CC SRW Duramax Allison is rated for 12,000 conventional or for 5th wheel, either 14,200 or 15,400, depending on which guide you read.

The 3500 CC DRW Duramax combo is rated for 12,000 conventional or 16,000 5th wheel, subtract 1,300 pounds for SRW.

So even the towing guides will add confusion.

I already had the truck and really like it, so I ordered a trailer that will be within the guidelines of my vehicle (2010 Cyclone 3010, 14K GVW).

If you don't mind the extra size and cost of the dually that should be your choice.

The dual rear wheel is obviously wider, the GM is only available in an 8' bed. That makes the crew cab version a long truck. But you will not need the short bed slider hitch then.

Any pickup the Duramax Allison combo is available in will pull just about any RV made. Your comfort zone and of the course the "weight " will be your deciding factor.

Delaine and Lindy

Well I can speak from experience, I have owned both 2500HD's and 3500HD's and yes there is a difference. The problem with the 2500HD's is the pin weight, 2500HD's just can't handle the pin weight. You can look at all the tow charts you want to. The only way you will know the true weights is you have to put the Truck and 5th wheel on platform scales such as the Cat scales at Truck stops. And you must make sure your full of fuel and have the 5er loaded for RVing. The 5th wheel we have now has a pin weight of 3800 lbs and we aren't full timing. We RV very light, have been there and done that with full basements etc. We have also owned a Landmark and was real close on GVWR, we were fine with the pin weight, but we have a DRW 1 ton Truck. We are in the process of upgrading 5th wheels and are looking very serious at a Freightliner M2 and its not because of pulling or stoping the Chevy 3500 can do it all, but we also have Disk brakes which make stoping to much better. It because of the GVWR. As said before you should be happy with what you drive. I know several will say they are the same but thats just no true. If it were me buying a new Truck go with the DRW's it will be the best option for towing the Big Horn and when you move up to a Landmark, you will have the correct Truck. GBY...

porthole

Retired
2500HD SRW to 3500 DRW only gains 500 pounds pin weight.

Still, the max trailer weight with the 3500 DRW is 16,300, and that is based on an empty truck (7200 pounds).

Like I said, I bought my trailer to be within my truck's guidelines, which wasn't easy.

It would seem that just about every better built trialer and most toy haulers are being towed by inadequate trucks. Most 5th wheel toy haulers are 18K rated, more then any of the GMs are rated at.

Of course it would sure be nice to have the Freightliner or similar in my driveway. Economics say it will not be, and not just because of the cost.
We live in New Jersey and registration and insurance would just be too much for a "once in awhile" vehicle.

Paul & Nan

2500HD or 3500

We pull a 3670RL 2009 with a 2500HD duramax. Does a great job towing. The 3500 (if it is a dually) gives more tire on the road for safety but you will loose about 400 lbs of tow ability. We've had no troubles with the chevy. PaulNone

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
2500HD SRW to 3500 DRW only gains 500 pounds pin weight.

Still, the max trailer weight with the 3500 DRW is 16,300, and that is based on an empty truck (7200 pounds).

NO!!!

My research is on Chevy or GMC 2500HD VS 3500HD (Duramax/Allison) so please don't hold me to the other brands BUT:

2500: 9,200 GVWR - Curb Wt: 7220 - Tow: 15,900 (5ver) Net left for hauling: (PIN,weight, fuel, passengers and gear): 1,980#

3500: 11,400 GVWR - Curb Wt: 7675 - Tow: 15,900 (5ver) Net left for hauling: (PIN,weight, fuel, passengers and gear): 3,728#

The curb weight on the 3500 is estimated but I added the same 1000# (To the claimed factory curb weight) that appeared on my 2500 I did not expect for a reality-based number.

Last edited:

Bogger

The OLD 2500HD vs the 3500HD question... There is no right answer. There are many factors to consider.

We recently spent time with a couple that uses a semi to tow their fifth wheel. His semi never is over worked. Best of all, one can buy a 5 year old semi for $20-25K that is in great shape. Compare that to the $38K for a new Duramax pickup.

So many choices.....

Why would someone compare a 5 year old semi with a NEW Duramax? You can find and compare a 5 year old Duramax, and that would be considerably less than new, and a lot more "everyday" friendly.

Delaine and Lindy

I would say if you find a 5 year old Duramax with a half million miles you will find the HDT with a half million miles isn't half worn out. I haven't seen many Duramax's with a half million miles on the clock. Most HDT's can run a million miles, I know for sure the Detroit Diesel will. But again the HDT's aren't for everyone. And I have owned 5 Duramax's and don't think there is any better V-8 Diesel engine on the road today. The only reason I'm going with a Freighliner M2 is because GM let their great company get away from them, and the Duramax/Allison is awesome. But with the Freightliner M2 I still will have a Allison but will have to settle for a Mecerdes IL 6, but with 330 hp and 1,000 lbs of torq, but I want have to worry about GVWR or pin weight. GBY...

ct0218

NO!!!

My research is on Chevy or GMC 2500HD VS 3500HD (Duramax/Allison) so please don't hold me to the other brands BUT:

2500: 9,200 GVWR - Curb Wt: 7220 - Tow: 15,900 (5ver) Net left for hauling: (PIN,weight, fuel, passengers and gear): 1,980#

3500: 11,400 GVWR - Curb Wt: 7675 - Tow: 15,900 (5ver) Net left for hauling: (PIN,weight, fuel, passengers and gear): 3,728#

The curb weight on the 3500 is estimated but I added the same 1000# (To the claimed factory curb weight) my 2500 had I did not expect for a reality-based number.

This is correct.