Got my truck stuck in mud

sdgirl

Those of you in the So. Cal. Chapter will get a chuckle outta this, for sure! I went to Horseman's Park this past weekend,, very close to the Del Mar Race track,,, for a horse show with my sister. Girls weekend,, no guys. I have a 2WD, 2003 2500HD, towing my 3300RL Big Country that I've had for a little over a year. The "RV" area is dirt, covered with wood chips. No sewer hookup, H2O and Elec only. I'm by myself, as Sis is coming from another direction, with a friend, and the horses. I decide to get there early on Friday, as the San Diego County Fair is supposed to start this same day.. and they always use this "RV" parking area as overflow parking to the fair. I got there with NO problem. It's a 'first come', first serve' kinda thing, so I'm scooping out where to park and find a likely spot. Since I'm alone, there is NO WAY I'm going to try to back into the spot I have my eye on,, so I'll just pull through, trying to avoid cars as I go. All of a sudden,,, I'm not moving. I give the ol' 8.2 liter a little more gas... noooo, still not moving. I give it a little MORE gas... suddenly, my back tires are spinning! Wholy-Moley! What is goin' on?? I hang my head in shame, put the truck in Park, apply the parking break and get out. I check the drivers side rear wheel.. Yeah,, it's in a little bit of a depression, but not THAT bad. I check the Passenger side,,, WHOA! Almost up to the axel! NOW what do I do? Call Hubby? It's only 20 min to the house, but my pride just would NOT allow that. I called my sister, but she was still 45 min. out. So,, I put my Brain back on and took stock of the situation. I was actually in very soft ground, not really mud and it was just where the rear tire was, the right rear being the worst. I figured that if I dropped the trailer, I could get the truck out. So, that was job one. Dropped the trailer fine,,, had to extend the front jacks THREE times to get the truck out, as each time I'd start to inch forward, the truck would come UP out of the hole and hit the Pin Box. But,,, I made it~! Whew. Next,, can I fill in the soft spot, so that I can pull the trialer thru? Thank Heavans, DH did leave a shovel in the basement, so I started on that. Found out that the softs spot wasn't that big,,, leave to me to find the ONLY 2foot by 2foot spot like that in the whole parking lot~! So, here I am, shoveling dirt and wood chips into the spot when a nice young man comes over and says,, "Are ya stuck?" :rolleyes: Well,, Not any more, Thanks for asking! He tells me that he has a diesel and can pull me out, no problems. "You have hooks on the front of your truck, don'tcha?". Yeah, I told him, and thanks for the offer. But let me try this first and if this doesn't work, I'll take you up on that. After I filled in those holes, I walked around a little to make sure there weren't any more soft spots. Not finding any, I felt pretty sure that if I backed up and hooked up a little at an angle, I'd miss the soft spots and could pull the trialer through, missing the "sink hole" that I found. Sure enough, I was able to park with no trouble. All in all, an adventure I would not want to live again,,, however, I'm Extreme glad of two things.
1. That I did NOT find that soft spot with the trailer ;
2. That I actually managed to get out of that situation by myself!

My one regret, now that the Truck and Trailer are safe,,, is that I didn't take any pictures!

itsbeertime

That's a fun story. Thanks for sharing. It's great to see a women able to handle something like that, especially with so much poise. Most guys wouldn't have handled it that well. :)

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Congrats on the great job getting yourself out of that jam. My DH would have thrown things after coughing and belching up a bunch of smoke! You go girl! :D We're all proud of you.

h20skih

Hey just for fun tell your DH that if he would have bought a 4wd truck it probably would have pulled through a 2x2 mud hole.:D Gotta have a little fun rant's about things sometimes!!!:p

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Very good story. YOU GO GIRL!

You proved that all it takes in any situation is a calm-cool head.

I had to buy a 4 X 4 years ago as "I" always found the hole or soft spot when we would go off-road camping with or without a trailer. I got tired of that. It is amazing to me what will get a 4 X 2 vehicle stuck as I am sure you are now aware!:D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well Dena, great story. But since I know you and Roy personally, its not amazing to me that you got yourself out of trouble on your own. I do hope that you and sis had a good time and laugh later. BTW, with Larry's luck, he would have sunk the truck,trailer and all up to the bottoms of the doors. Thanks for the PM. Bob:D

sdgirl

Thanks everyone~! Only fun to share because I DID get out... and Yes, I have already bugged DH about a 4X4~ And Yes Bob,, once we had the trailer setup,,, we had a great weekend~!

jbeletti

Wow - great story Dena. Thank you for having the courage to share it. I think it's a great "you can do it" motivator for any female pulling a rig and a few guys as well.

I have done the same thing you described except in snow and mud and while I got out of it, I ripped that $400, 6" tall custom tail gate right off my truck after the truck climbed out of the holes :eek: You bested me here :)

Nice job,

Jim