Newbie to try Full-Timing

Hey Everyone,

My wife and I (newly weds) are thinking about fulltiming. We are only 25 years old and currently we live in PA. I've been working for a Defense contractor for 3 years now and their may be an opportunity to work in Baltimore, MD for a few years.

This post is going to be fairly lengthy so we want to apologize in advance. Any thoughts, opinions, and or suggestions are GREATLY appreaciated :)!

Ok here goes...

First, we just joined this forum yesterday, so we are slowly starting to read about fulltiming and winterizing, etc. This is definitely a learning process and we're glad there are other RV'ers willing to share their experiences and knowledge.

Currently we do not own an RV, but we do own a 2002 Silverado 3500 CrewCab Duramax Dually, which I'm sure should be able to tow a fifth wheel very well.

We are looking to get a Cyclone 3850 or similar toy hauler to carry our ATVs. We both love the interior styling and of course i love the fact that it has a small garage.

The reason we are looking to go "fulltiming" is simply because of the cost in Baltimore, MD. Average rent is 1100-1200 month. So we figure we can purchase a toyhauler for a 12 year loan, pay a monthly rate at a campground, electric, rv insurance, and still be around that rent figure. Why waste all of that rent money when you could be paying off a new 5th wheel?

We are avid campers and love the outdoors, and we've wanted a toy hauler for a few years now.

I'm just trying to determine if this is a feasible thing to do or if we should just rent in Baltimore.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That 3500 Dually will do a great job with most any 5ver. Just remember it is not new so you need to perform maintenance on it to ensure it is still in good condition with the extra stresses of that 5ver behind it. I am sure that the Duramax/Allison is barely broke-in but run checks on all systems if you plan on a long trip.

The full-timing in a campground is a great idea actually.

The Cyclone 3580 is a great RV but you will have to be careful as it is capable of carrying much more than your dually is rated.

Your specs should be close to the below:

3500HD Dually: Curb wt: approx: 7672# (Weigh yours!)
GVWR of TV: 11,400#
Tow: 15,900# AT MAX (5ver)
Pin and cargo: 3,728# at MAX (With above approximated curb wt)

The 3850 has a 2,871 pin weight EMPTY already cutting into the gross hauling weight to now bring you down to 857# left for passengers, fuel and other such stuff you would place in the vehicle OR that would sit forward of the wheels on the RV adding to the pin weight.

Just trying to help you going into this eyes wide open with safety and facts as a primary consideration.

HAPPY CAMPING and please keep us up-to-date on your decisions!!!!

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
i think you have a great idea, my wife and I have been full timing for nearly two years now and enjoy it very much. We left our jobs before retirement and work at campgrounds around the country usually north in the summer and south in the winter. We have met many wonderful people and enjoy the campground atmosphere much better that when we were living in the sticks and bricks. I say go for it just keep in mind you must downsize a lot as the weight of the trailer can easily get away from you.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

The Cyclone 3580 is a great RV but you will have to be careful as it is capable of carrying much more than your dually is rated.

Your specs should be close to the below:

3500HD Dually: Curb wt: approx: 7672# (Weigh yours!)
GVWR of TV: 11,400#
Tow: 15,900# AT MAX (5ver)
Pin and cargo: 3,728# at MAX (With above approximated curb wt)

The 3850 has a 2,871 pin weight EMPTY already cutting into the gross hauling weight to now bring you down to 857# left for passengers, fuel and other such stuff you would place in the vehicle OR that would sit forward of the wheels on the RV adding to the pin weight.

Just trying to help you going into this eyes wide open with safety and facts as a primary consideration.

HAPPY CAMPING and please keep us up-to-date on your decisions!!!!

Ron thanks for your input. With myself, my wife and a tank full of fuel my dually weighs a whopping 8000lbs haha. very heavy truck. My truck has a class 5 sticker in PA. The GVW of my truck is 11400 which you are correct. The class 5 in PA goes from 11001-13000 GVW so maybe I can up the GVW on my truck...not sure though. If we are going to go fulltiming I want to make sure everything will be safe, secure and legal (underweight).

As for doing maintenance on my truck it's regulary checked, but I will definitely keep a closer eye on it.

Thanks again for the input. If we decide to do this, I will keep everyone updated!

i think you have a great idea, my wife and I have been full timing for nearly two years now and enjoy it very much. We left our jobs before retirement and work at campgrounds around the country usually north in the summer and south in the winter. We have met many wonderful people and enjoy the campground atmosphere much better that when we were living in the sticks and bricks. I say go for it just keep in mind you must downsize a lot as the weight of the trailer can easily get away from you.

Don, we agree with you. We feel this might be a great idea. Can I ask you how do you work at the campgrounds? My wife would be interested in this while I will be at the office. any suggestions?

As for meeting people, for the most part, you cant beat campers. The majority of them are very nice down to earth folks enjoying the outdoors. You cant beat the outdoors, and the camping atmosphere as you stated.

We are hoping this will all work out.

Also while looking at the Cyclone 3850 or 3950...what would be a good price say on a new one or a leftover 2009? We have never purchased an RV so I have no clue what a good price is. I will definitely go to the best priced place and somewhere the people are nice. I'm pretty decent at negotiating on bigger purchases (ie cars, trucks, atvs, etc) but have never attempted to on an RV. Is there much room for negotiation?

davebennington

Bill,

Welcome to the Heartland family, I am sure you will get a lot of responses to your questions.

I do not know where in the Baltimore area you will be camping, but you will need to look into a place that will allow you to have a big propane tank installed, it does get cold in that area as well as some snow. That said good idea I wish my wife would do something along those lines. She likes her house with out wheels.

Dave

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Bill, I do not know where in the Baltimore area you will be camping, but you will need to look into a place that will allow you to have a big propane tank installed, it does get cold in that area as well as some snow. Dave

You would probably need to "skirt" it also for insulation.

HappyKayakers

I would be very leery of fulltiming in the north. We spent one winter in the Texas panhandle and learned quite a bit about heat tape on freshwater hoses, freezing sewer hoses and poorly insulated RVs. If we hadn't been working in the campground, we might have gone broke just paying for propane and electric to stay warm.
Have you joined any other forums? You might want to ask if anyone currently fulltimes in that area and how they cope with the cold weather and how much it costs.
Or try emailing some RV parks in the area with the same questions.
Not trying to discourage you, just let you know that things are different in an RV.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Full-timing in Winter - NO not in Florida......

Here you go we have our very own expert:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9950&highlight=WINTER+FULLTIMING

Bill,

Welcome to the Heartland family, I am sure you will get a lot of responses to your questions.

I do not know where in the Baltimore area you will be camping, but you will need to look into a place that will allow you to have a big propane tank installed, it does get cold in that area as well as some snow. That said good idea I wish my wife would do something along those lines. She likes her house with out wheels.

Dave

Dave we are thinkin of the campground near Freeland, MD...just across the PA border. I think its called Morris Meadows Farm or something like that. Living in PA it does get pretty cold and I would assume its the same in MD.

The hard part in MD is trying to find a long-term site with a decent rate and also a do-able commute into Linthicum.

Do you have any suggestions?

I'm hoping if we go this route, my wife will love it and not hate it. We both love to camp and hopefully we will enjoy living in our RV.

I would be very leery of fulltiming in the north. We spent one winter in the Texas panhandle and learned quite a bit about heat tape on freshwater hoses, freezing sewer hoses and poorly insulated RVs. If we hadn't been working in the campground, we might have gone broke just paying for propane and electric to stay warm.
Have you joined any other forums? You might want to ask if anyone currently fulltimes in that area and how they cope with the cold weather and how much it costs.
Or try emailing some RV parks in the area with the same questions.
Not trying to discourage you, just let you know that things are different in an RV.

HappyKayakers, we have camped out in a truck camper in the winter and it wasnt too bad. But you know as well as I do a truck camper is SMALL:eek: compared to a 40ft Toyhauler haha. I do appreciate your input and the "winter" idea has come to mind a few times worrying about it. Maybe I will call a few campgrounds and get their opinions/suggestions

Here you go we have our very own expert:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9950&highlight=WINTER+FULLTIMING

Rockerga thank you ver much!! When I read this post and how htNeighbors winterized his Cyclone it eased the worry of how are we going to survive through the winter.

Thanks again for the thread!

tnhbush

I live in Odenton, MD and there is a KOA at the 97 / 32 / 301 intersection. Here is the link to there site, http://koa.com/where/md/20139/ I looked at this CG for a quick shakedown run due to the dealer being just down 301. (Leo's) It looked good and I really liked the back section. I'm not sure of the pricing. One thing I can say about the winters here there is less snow in this area due to the bay but it still can get cold. The last few years it has not been very cold at all.

Good luck.

Thanks for the link. I gave them a call but they dont have long-term rates. The lady was nice, but she said there is a maximum of a 2 week stay. I thought it was a little odd, but nonetheless it isnt going to work...hmm do you have any other suggestions? There is the "Take It Easy" campground, but its over 80 miles one way to Linthicum haha...little too far.

davebennington

Bill,

You might want to try the campground in Fredrick,/Hagerstown/MD area alot of folks commute to balt. as well as wash.DC from this area.

Here are a couple:
Hagerstown / Antietam Battlefield KOA
11759 Snug Harbor Lane
Williamsport MD 21795

Crow's Nest Campground
335 West Main Street
Thurmont, MD 21788
(800) 866-1959
renna9@cs.com

Ole Mink Farm Inc
12806 Mink Farm Road
Thurmont, MD 21788
(877) 653-6465
minktale@verizon.net

Yogi Bears Jellystone Park Hagerstown
16519 Lappans Road
Williamsport, MD 21795
(800) 421-7116
camp@jellystonemaryland.com

Maple Tree Camp
20716 Townsend Road
Gapland, MD 21779
(301) 432-5585
treehousecamp2@aol.com

I am not sure if they are a year around or not it has been awhile.

D.