Rv cover yes or no

lrball2

We just bought a Landmark Grand Canyon and it will be parked in Yuma Az
year round. I am looking for comments regarding the purchase of a good cover. I would like to protect it from the intense heat in the summer.

As there is little moisture I don't think there will be mold concerns and I am aware of sand particles that may cause rubbing against the gel-coat if they penetrate through the cover.

So basically looking for pros and cons of covering plus a recommendation on a good cover.

We have owned Motor homes for years and are now tried of driving and paying through the nose for fuel. I started researching 5th wheels sometime ago and we settled for the Landmark which we think is a fantastic coach.

Looking forward to your comments....

Larry

davebennington

Welcome to the Heartland family. As far as the cover goes I would say yes cover it, we have a cover for our Landmark Golden Gate and I did not put it on last year and believe me it shows. It is going to take major power wash and cleanup for it to look good again.

Dave

Peteandsharon

We had a cover on our BigHorn this past winter and the jury is still out as to whether I repeat that next winter. I had one of the ADCO covers and it did seem to protect the finish on the sides. That worked well. It was, however, a major pain taking it on and off. Secondly, there is a part of the cover that tucks under the front stairs and that ended up tearing the cover as the wind caused it to rub against the underside of the stairs. And finally, I also noticed that there were places on the rubber roof at the far edges, where the cover rubbed on the roof and actually wore though the roof to some extent. Did not rub through enough to actually cause a hole but with one more winter............. who knows?? You could very much see where the cover was rubbing on the rubber roof.

So, anyway, it does help but it's not without issues. I tried to be as diligent as possible when tieing it down. But you can't tie it down enough to completely stop the billowing in the wind and the slight back and forth shifting that the wind will cause.

lrball2

Thx Pete,

Your comments about the rubbing have me concerned. It is the intense heat during the summer months in Yuma that I want protection also. I parked my Motorhome in Florida fulltime for 5yrs. but I washed it once a month because of the acid rain so did not need a cover as I was living in it.

As for the 5th wheel it will be sitting unattended for the hot months. I was told a good clear wax on the gel coat would be better that a cover. I think the heat is ok for the roof?

Larry

SmokeyBare

We had a county fair board who allowed inside storage for their off season... I sure liked the idea of having the RV inside a building during the winter months...

What about one of those metal car ports type sheds ?? Just a thought...

Peteandsharon

Yeah, the roof thing worries me also. If it weren't for that one issue I would not care about the hassle of getting it on and off or anything else. If I recall correctly, there were 2-3 separate dollar bill sized spots where the cover had obviously been rubbing back and forth on the roof. It had scuffed it smooth but luckily hadn't torn it.

h20skih

For the money we all spend on our fiver's, especially if I had a Luxury one, I would highly suggest inside storage. I've had our Razor inside & heated since we bought it and it still looks brand new! Mine isn't full gelcoat either. I know when I had an expensive SeaRay boat in outside storage, It sure was hard to take care of in hot weather. Just my 2c's.....

ccd001

RV Cover

I thought I should chime in about my experience with the Adco fifth wheel
cover. I have used their cover for 5-6 yrs and have had great results.
I live in Indiana so I cover it in the winter and in July & August when it's
to hot to camp. I now have a BH 3055 and have covered it for 2 yrs and
when I uncover it still looks like it did when I covered it. No mold etc.
I don't have that much trouble putting cover on camper. I use a step ladder to get cover on roof of camper and my better half helps me down
on the ground. I would highly recommend the the Adco cover with
breathable side mesh and the TYVEK which covers the nose and roof of
camper.

lrball2

I am looking at the Goldline Cover which is stronger than Sunbrella or Tyvek. Not too sure on the comparisons but I liked their quality in the product. I am still concerned about rub marks and I am talking to them in this regard.

Larry

lrball2

Thx for the comments, I think I will go with the goldline cover. I will watch things closely for rub marks.

Larry