Fridge in Basement Question

itsbeertime

So, there is so much more room in the basement than I've ever had that one of the first things we did was go to W-mart and buy a little dorm fridge to keep in the basement. :) It's just a 1.7 cubic foot AC power kind with no freon. It does generate a little heat. Can anyone think of any issues this might cause if it's running with the doors closed?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well sure itsbeertime from the refer that I have in my basement. I have the medium size refer in the basement for liquid refreshments and we have the larger size upstairs in the closet. DW uses that one for the kitchen overflow. They both run when everything is closed up and we have had no problems.
Peace
Dave

Mels Musty Music

itsbeertime

Think I got the same fridge for our basement from Walmart last year. Spent 3 months traveling in the Southwest (in some pretty hot weather) last winter with no problems. Switched it to the inverter when traveling and back to AC when parked. Paid for it in less than a month with what I saved from not having to buy ice.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The only down side I can see is 1. added weight. 2. less money because you have to buy extra beer for the fridge.

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
Hmmmm I was contemplating the same thing..... now I think I will move forward.

Is there an outlet already in the basement?

Here's to a cold brew!

itsbeertime

Thanks for all the replies!

@Hank: Inverter! That's what I keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder! And for sure on the money saving not buying ice. :)

@Jim: This thing is really light. And MUCH lighter than a cooler full of beer and ice. One other downside...I have to share it with the teenage daughter. :( I gave her the door. :)

@Mark: I don't know if the Sundace has an outlet, but the BC and BH have an outlet and cable jack in the basement. :) TV is next on the list. :) Pretty soon I'll have all the toys those folks we camp next to at Richmond twice a year with the American Eagle do, for 1/6 the cost or so. :)

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I've been using the little frig in the basement since we've had the BH. No problems with heat. I use the inverter on long trips but within a few hours it stays nice and cold without. It saves a fortune on ice on my Destin trip each year.

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
How much do those fridges cost ? We have already spent about $ 25 for ice on this trip.

Steve, Big Lots in the Richmond, VA area has the Haier 1.7 cu. ft. factory reconditioned compact fridge with manufacturer's warranty on sale for $50. It has an adjustable thermostat and a 2 liter bottle storage area. It was in the sales flyer that came in the mail today. I don't know how widespread the sale is.

I don't know if Haier makes a good fridge or not but the price looks good.

Howard

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Elizabeth went on line and found a scratch and dent dorm size freezer. It is actually a dual purpose depending on how you set the thermostat. It can be used as a fridge or freezer. We have been using it as a freezer. We don't have an inverter and have never had an issue with any thawing at all. We don't boondock so it is only off long enough to get to the next RV park.

itsbeertime

I was wondering, for those of you who have a fridge, what do you have under it to get it high enough to open the door over the lip of the compartment? I have a temporary base made of orange lego blocks and the styrofoam packing that came in the fridge box but I want something a little nicer. I don't want to add a lot of weight though. It needs to be just about 3" high x 17-1/2 x 19-1/2.

itsbeertime

I built a box with 1x4s and a piece of plywood. It isn't as heavy as you would think and works perfectly.
Yeah, I guess a few small pieces of wood like that won't weigh much. I can paint it black and put some of the rubber anti-slip stuff on the top. Thanks!

boatdoc

We have the AC/DC fridge/freezer upstairs where the W/D go and down below in the basement we keep the icemaker. Great combo in our minds and we don't give a nickle to the ice bandits anymore. The neighbors like the icemaker there also and they're welcome to it. Takes less than 10 minutes to make the first batch.

We carry a small upright freezer in the front basement area. We start it up, let it get cold & place pre-frozen food in it. There is no outlet in this compartment, but we just drop an extension cord down through the gap next to one of the front landing gear legs. We either plug into a 20 amp receptical at the campsite electrical pole or we plug into the outlet in the universal docking station. We can easily travel 8 hours or more and the food will not even begin to thaw. We just have to remember to plug the freezer in when we ger to a campground.
On a long trip from our home in southeast Texas to San Diego last year we were able to save a lot of money on perishables by using this little freezer. We are on a trip right now that has taken us to Montana for over 6 weeks and we have saved using the freeezer again. It has really paid for itsself.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We have the AC/DC fridge/freezer upstairs where the W/D go and down below in the basement we keep the icemaker. Great combo in our minds and we don't give a nickle to the ice bandits anymore. The neighbors like the icemaker there also and they're welcome to it. Takes less than 10 minutes to make the first batch.

What icemaker do you have and where did you get it?
Thanks

Triber

I bought a "wal Mart Special" 1.7 cu.ft. fridge in Yuma last winter. Paid $66 bucks for it. I have it in the basement and it works fine. No problem with the door closed. It is true that it weighs less than a cooler full of beer and ice and is a lot less messy!

The only problem is that my wife uses it for overflow groceries which means most of the time, there is no room for beer. Thinking of a lock on the door!