Greasing bearings

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Steve, I'm not too sure what method of greasing you are referring to. Hand packing or shooting grease into a zirk fitting on an axle. If you haven't had the bearings on your rig hand packed since it's purchase I would suggest you get that done along with adjusting the brakes withing the first year of ownership. It also should be done annually or every 12,000 miles whichever comes first. The easy lube system should not be relied on for regular bearing maintenance. If you do add grease through the fitting on the axle end, don't over do it or you could damage a seal and possibly contaminate your brake shoes. Only put in a few shots with a hand pump greaser.

SmokeyBare

If you plan on doing the work your self... which I recomend... I'd start from scratch.

Remove the bearings and clean with a good solvent and as Ray said, repack the bearing by pushing grease between the bearings... as you turn the bearing back and forth there by making sure the whole surface is covered.

At the National Rally for Heartland... we were instructed to clean the old grease from the bearing... using a solvent... and immediately cover the bearing with a good wheel bearing grease. They suggested if the bearing is unprotected... it quickly starts to oxidize and that can do damage to the bearings.

They also said the hub of the wheel doesn't need to be "Packed" with grease... but only enough to cover the bearing race. The hub needs room to allow additional grease to be added by a grease gun. If the hub is FULL... it will cause the bearings to heat up... by friction... and can lead to the grease being pushed past the grease seal and onto the brake shoes. They suggested applying grease twice a year by a grease gun.... and yearly re-packing of the bearings by hand. Be sure to use a high quality grease seal... one with 2 wiper blades and a retainer spring to hold the seal tightly to the axle surface.

StevenJ

greasing bearings

I take it by your posts that you don't trust the grease zerk on the end of the axle. I thought the idea is good, but I didn't know if it works. Also I've had many older cars and trucks with 2 wheel drive that you would need to pack the front wheel bearings. But you wouldn't worry about it for 30K to 50K miles or when you did the brakes. Wouldn't the trailer bearings work the same principle?:confused:

SmokeyBare

What I don't trust is HOW much Grease is already inside the wheel Hub. If it's packed by someone who feels.... "A little is good... so a whole lot more is better" ... well then you'll have a problem by adding additional grease.

Starting from scratch... you will know how much room is inside the hub. After you've done it from scratch there will be no question that you can add 2 squirts of grease... a couple times a year.

Trailer bearings do work on the same principal as the old cars we once worked on. I live full time in our BigHorn... I move about quite a bit... but I only grease the wheel bearings once a year... and I only add additional grease 2 times a year. This works for me... I'm betting you'll soon have figured out what works for your RV...

Good Luck !

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

I take it by your posts that you don't trust the grease zerk on the end of the axle. I thought the idea is good, but I didn't know if it works. Also I've had many older cars and trucks with 2 wheel drive that you would need to pack the front wheel bearings. But you wouldn't worry about it for 30K to 50K miles or when you did the brakes. Wouldn't the trailer bearings work the same principle?:confused:
In addition to Marvs most excellent comments:D, The front end of the old Chevy only weighed about 1500-1800 pounds on the front axle. These trailers are heavy. 6000# on one axle:eek:.

Pulltab

At the seminar lippert gave their take on it was, pump grease into the zirk and you were effective changing the grease as it pushed the old grease out the front. I just repacked mine yesterday and can tell you that you would be waiting a lifetime for that to ever happen. Interesting enough when I pulled one of my drums off I had an extra nut just riding along inside the hub. None were missing from anywhere so it was apparenlty just added for my entertainment from some idiot at lippert!

Pulltab

Did I read that right?:eek: Was the nut inside the hub between the inner and outer bearings?
It wasn't stuck between the drum and shoe it was just riding along inside the drum not inside the hub.............fortunately. Inside the drum is bad enough :(

dieselengineer

Charter Member
What size was the nut? If it is 3/8 fine thread, I would check if all five of the bolts that hold on the brake backing plate to the axle are there and tight. It is a good idea to check these bolts when repacking the bearings.

Ray LeTourneau

What size was the nut? If it is 3/8 fine thread, I would check if all five of the bolts that hold on the brake backing plate to the axle are there and tight. It is a good idea to check these bolts when repacking the bearings.
That's exactly what I was thinking but Pulltab had said there were none missing anywhere. It was an extra????

lhetsler

Grease Bearings

Be very careful when adding grease. Jack up one side at a time and spin the wheel while adding to ease the pressure on the seals. Pump slowly or you will break a seal and cost yourself 6 to $800 dollars for new brakes. It is very easy to damage a seal. Trust me I know.

Pulltab

That was the first thing I checked, that is the nut but mine had all of them installed PLUS the extra rider :(

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
have to change out off door side moryde suspension (Moryde warranty). Pull the spring bolts and the bolts are wearing. Will replace them with wet bolts. I did expect this. Pulled the brake drums off and there is slight grease contamination. 20,000 Kms, I guess not too bad. I have greased them through the Zerk's fitting 3 times with only 3 pumps on the grease gun, slowly. So new grease seals and brake linings be ordered tomorrow. Then, lets do the other side for something to do. Luck it has cooled down some so it is OK to work in the morning and evening. The rest of the day will be spent cleaning the brake drums and brake magnets.