Heated and enclosed underbelly/tanks

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
So I've seen the flexible duct the goes from the furnace through the floor of the basement and into the enclosed underbelly and it makes me wonder.

Just how much square footage am I trying to heat?

How well insulated is the area that I'm trying to heat?

How airtight is this area I'm trying to heat?

How much heat am I taking away from the main living space?

What do the rest of you think?

jpmorgan37

Mark;
If yours is like mine, the flexible duct that is going into the underbelly is approximately 2" diameter and about 6 ' long. The idea is to keep it above freezing, not hot, although it will make the cold water in the tubing warm when the furnace is running. I've even thought about putting a restrictor or damper in the pipe to reduce the flow through it as long as the outside temperature is at 32 or above. If it dropped much below freezing, then I would open it up some. I don't think we are loosing too much heat from the living area. BTW, did you check the furnace to see that it was secured to the floor? There are some post in here where some of us found that our furnace was not secured to the floor so that some of the heat was not going into the floor ductwork.

John

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thanks for the info John,
Funny you should mention that the furnace may not be screwed to the floor. I will definetely look into that. I have asked the dealer in the past to take a look at the funace for me because after about 20 minutes of running we will get alot of noise from the furnace. If I pull off the wood grill just under my referigerator and put my hand on the furnace the noise stops.
I also considered finding a way to put a damper on the 2" duct that feeds the underbelly. That will be a project for another day.

Thanks again,

Mark