Edge m-18 Tow Vehicle

barry-b

i have a six cyl. hyundai entourage. with a tow capacity of 3500 lbs. is this enough to pull this camper especially in new england.

maryj

We don't have much experience in towing but I wouldn't want to max out a Hyundai that much. We have traveled a bunch in the ADK's, Green and White mountains and all have some pretty steep and high passes (altitude = loss of power) and all you have to do is add a full fridge, H20 tank, LP tanks, bikes, and all the other camping gear and you're pretty much maxed out? We have a 1/2 ton, 5.3L V8 so we're no where near max but we still "know it's there"
We love our M-18 so far so my advise to you is to trade-in the Hyundai and get the camper:)
Good luck

rick_h

Hi Barry,

I will get back to you in a week and a half. We have a Pontiac Montana with the same towing capacity. We are getting our M18 this week and have planned our first trip. It has a fairly flat drive with only a couple hills. I'll post here when we get back to let you know how I made out.

rick_h

Hi,

We have our first trip behind us. We towed with our Pontiac Montana and it towed OK until we hit hills. The van really had to work on small hills 2nd gear. I recommend buying the edge and getting a bigger vehicle ;)

We are seriously considering trading our van for a GMC Canyon crew cab. it has a 5000 lb tow capacity.

Larry77

We trading in our V6 4Runner for a V8 after our first trip with our M-18...the transmission was the problem not the engine...we were shifting frequently and I felt like we would eventually burn up the tranny.

ajb

We trading in our V6 4Runner for a V8 after our first trip with our M-18...the transmission was the problem not the engine...we were shifting frequently and I felt like we would eventually burn up the tranny.

What year 4runner did you trade in? Was it a 3.4 or a 4.0L?

Larry77

It's a 2007 4.7 V8 4x4 Limited with a 5 speed tranny...

I guess in 2005 even the V6 got a 5 speed tranny so I might have been fine with just a newer V6, but I enjoy the power in the V8.

P1060843.jpg

ajb

It's a 2007 4.7 V8 4x4 Limited with a 5 speed tranny...

I guess in 2005 even the V6 got a 5 speed tranny so I might have been fine with just a newer V6, but I enjoy the power in the V8.

Thanks for the reply. I just bought a 2009 tacoma prerrunner with a 4.0L V6 and Auto transmission. I think it will be fine with any of Heartland's Edge line.

Andy

ddhburns

We towed the M21 fully loaded with a Toyota 4Runner, 4.0L V6, around Texas with no problem (rated at 5,000 pounds towing capacity). However, for extended trips involving mountains, we wanted something more substantial, so we upgraded to a V8 4.6L Toyota Tundra (towing capacity 8,600 pounds). I can also add that while the 4Runner could get the M21 up and moving pretty briskly, be SERIOUSLY heads-up about STOPPING. The first time you slide through a red light with all eight tires smoking, it'll really get your attention...

;P

a1avet

Liv'in on the Edge with a Vue
So it sounds like a V6 vehical with a 3500 Lbs towing capacity is really not enough to pull the M18 with any load added to it? Is that what I am hearing? I was told by the dealer that they specialize in small SUV and mini-van towable TT's. Oh should have no problem towing it with our 08 Vue XR.

We shall see....When I go on our first medium to long trip I will post our findings. Don't know when but could be next year at the Aug NASCAR at MIS.(Michigan)

Thank you for the info so far.