TV Commercial Rant...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are setting here still at the Elkhart County Fairgrounds, trying to get accustom to our new Fur Kid. I am trying to get some financial bills and other things done over the internet.

Pat is watching TV and I am on the computer. She is watching a program on TV and then a commercial comes on and the volume is so loud you can not talk to each other. Turn down the volume and when the program comes back on it is so low you have to turn up the volume.. Then guess what.... here comes another commercial and you have to turn down the volume again.

I stay up later on most occasions later than Pat. I am watching a program and then on comes a commercial. So far I have not bother her because of the loud commercial.

I wish there was a way to keep the volume at one level. I do not understand why the show a movie or what ever at a low volume then have the commercials at such a loud volume.

Oh Well FWIW..
BC

nscaler2

Been goin on forever

There used to be some kind of FCC rule against what you have witnessed. It goes on all over the country it is very frustrating. Like you said, especially at night. Anyway either the rule went away or the FCC is looking the other way when things like this happen. Advertisers have to make sure you can still hear their add while you are in the kitchen getting a cold brew. :D:D

porthole

Retired
I have found this to be a bigger problem on the "cable" channels then the networks.

And I watch mostly the "cable" channels.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I remember hearing about a device that will actually mute commercials. Dont ask me how it works-No idea and don't remember where I even heard it.

And it might even be a scam but maybe worthwhile to look into.

Delaine and Lindy

We just use the re-mote button (mute) now but have written our congress persons. We watch mostly Sattelite system as we have Direct-Tv (HDTV). Very little Local Cable. GBY....

porthole

Retired
I remember hearing about a device that will actually mute commercials. Dont ask me how it works-No idea and don't remember where I even heard it.

And it might even be a scam but maybe worthwhile to look into.

Same way the VCR's that use to be able to block commercials work. There is an instant of "black" between programming and commercials.

Don't know if that is still the case though. Most of the time I only watch TV with a DVR now.

enthuz

Fixed Audio Out

Several TV models have an audio setting called "Fixed Audio Out" or something similar in its setup or audio menu. This is to attenuate the volume level for this same reason as you stated.

If you know the make and model # of your TV, then I can check to see if it has it or not.

jbeletti

TV Sound Regulator - $50

Does it work? Don't know :confused:

home2.jpg

VixPix

The only good thing about these high volume commercials is that they provide us with a 'wake-up' notice if for some reason our attention has waned while watching the primary program? LOL

thanatos

There was a bill introduced in congress last year called the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act (C.A.L.M.) have to love those government acronyms, H.R. 6209. It is suppose to limit the volume of commercials to the average sound level of the program. Right now the sound limit of commercials is set to the maximum volume of the show, so one loud explosion/scream/gun shot and that's the commercial's maximum volume. I don't know the current status of the bill.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It would probably have gotten watered down like the "Do Not Call" legislation. Just love the boiler room charity calls filling up my Caller ID box.