M19 or M18?

Hello all,

My wife and I are trying to decide between the Edge M19 and Edge M18. Currently, we are strongly leaning towards the 19 for a multitude of reasons. We do not have the luxury of looking at these prior to purchasing (we live in Alaska, and the only dealer up here does not have any in stock), so if any of you went through the same decision making process, we'd love to hear from you as to what you ended up with and why. I am a complete novice when it comes to travel trailers, so the more pros and cons the better...

If any of you have the M19, our two biggest questions right now are

1) What is the size of the convertible dinette when it's made into a bed?

and

2) We use coats up here. Lot's of 'em. Is there any closet space for bulky coats in the M19? There are no interior pics of the M19 on Heartland's web site, and I've only been able to locate a few pics on line.

Thank you very much
Colin & Catherine

M

Mcreech

The M19 dinette turns into a 88X40 bed and there is a Pantry next to the refer that you could use for hanging coats, other then that you have the cabinet in the back...

Redfish

CNC,
I have the M21. Its tanks are not insulated. Assuming the M19 is built the same, I would like to know what you do for insulation.
Thanks,
Redfish

Well, Redfish... I'll let you know as soon as I do. We are still awaiting delivery. The dealer just pulled them off the barge, so maybe tomorrow? I'm a newbie to all this, but I can't imagine it'll be too tough to insulate the tanks. If it gets too cold, we plan on dry camping. Then I'll be more worried about the R-5 floor and R-7 walls... but we have LOTS of warm clothes. ;)

Colin

annirroc

Hi. We just picked up our M18 and LOVE it! Went through the same decision-making process ourselves and after finding a dealer that carried both so we could explore each one, the decision wasn't a hard one.

The M18 has a slide which makes the interior SO much more roomy than the M19 - really. Also, the queen bed is permanent, i.e., you don't need to pull down the table and couch area to sleep each night if you want to use the queen and not the double under the bunk. Not sure how many people you need to put up but if it's just you and your wife I'd go with the M18. There's a single bunk over the queen which we are pretty much using for our clothes and spare blankets right now (maybe grandchildren some day?) - the jackknife sofa fits our 14 year old daughter nicely as well - she's 5'6".

If you have the towing capacity for a bit more the M21 is even nicer because both sides of the bed are accessible (which means no climbing over your spouse in the middle of the night if you need a bathroom break!)

Also, I think the M18 has a bigger wardrobe than the M19. We live in northern Alberta and understand COLD - we can fit about four big jackets and a couple of rainsuits in our wardrobe.

All the best with whatever decision you end up making - the Edge is a great little trailer!

PS: If you're camping in pretty cold weather, you might want to look at an all-season camper, e.g., Arctic Fox. Quite a bit heavier so there are pro's and con's to consider - something we looked at but don't have a heavy duty truck (and not interested in getting one) so we went with the lighter option. As far as light trailers go - and we've looked at a lot - the Edge is perfect!