New tires for the Bighorn

Much to my wallets dismay, I just popped for 4 new Michelin
235/85R16 XPS Ribs. $1064.00 out the door price from my local Ford Dealer.
After talking to several people at the rally and seeing the damage done to one Bighorn I decided to make the move and have some peice of mind.

vangoes

Looks like I will have to replace my tires also; however, they are the original Karrier Loadstars with 14,000 miles and the replacement need does not seem to be a tire issue. After returning from the Rally I noticed that on my off door side the front tire has worn significantly on the inside and the rear tire has worn on the outside (both wear patterns from the last groove outward). On the door side, both the tires look great with no signs of any significant wear. I'm not sure what caused this; if its a toe-in toe-out problem; an alignment problem or what; however, it certainly is not a result of the tires (more commonly referred to as China Bombs). Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Well, I just sprung for 5 Goodyear G rated 614's to replace my E rated Mission Tires which had 13,000 miles but I am on the 12th day of a 51 day summer trip. I was twisting and turning whether to buy the Michelin E rated XPS 10 ply 80 lb PSI Tires or the Goodyears which are 14 ply. I was lucky enough to have the choice with my 16" aluminum rims that had G 3750 lbs stamped on the inside.
As an objective Bighorn owner, I am incredibly amazed how smooth the ride is with my 110lb PSI tires. Hardly any chucks and bounces, while I caravaned behind Bighorns equipped with the E rated tires bouncing and swaying, chucking and jiving from Canyonville, to Winchester Bay. I paid $1346 out the door less $125 in rebates, mounted, balanced with steel nutted stems and taped weights.
The difference in the ride is enourmous. I can understand buying those excellent Michelin's, but the G rated 614's tires are like nite and day. Thank you senior RV savvy campers who insisted I buy the Goodyears. I am smiling ear to ear after driving 1,000 miles and sometimes forgetting I am pulling a heavy rig. My mission E rated tires cost me severe back problems and now I am singing the praises of the famous Goodyear 614's. To me the choice after driving mountainous, curvy roads and having zero problems is clear as a bell.

DMitch

Vangoes - I have been there with the tire wear problem like you have. After fooling around with the dealer who didn't have a clue about aligning trailer axles I took my unit to a shop that aligns heavy trucks and trailers. They fixed the alignment problem in two days. I don't think that most RV dealers have niether the equipment or the know how to align these axles properly. Trust me on this one, I spent a year and a lot of money in tires trying to cure the problem.

Safe travels to all,

D and J

Much to my wallets dismay, I just popped for 4 new Michelin
235/85R16 XPS Ribs. $1064.00 out the door price from my local Ford Dealer.
After talking to several people at the rally and seeing the damage done to one Bighorn I decided to make the move and have some peice of mind.
Hello, Put us on the list for tire problems and damage. I am also looking to purchase different tires. I noticed that you bought 235/85R16, is that the orginal size that was on your trailer?
We have ST235/80R16 on our 2008 3055 RL Bighorn and have had nothing but problems.
We would love it if we could go with Michelin tires but we talked to Heartland and they told us we could not use the 85's. Any info you can share would be appriciated.
Thanks D&J
2008 3055RL Bighorn
2007 GMC 4 door Duramax and Allison Trany

D and J

Well, I just sprung for 5 Goodyear G rated 614's to replace my E rated Mission Tires which had 13,000 miles but I am on the 12th day of a 51 day summer trip. I was twisting and turning whether to buy the Michelin E rated XPS 10 ply 80 lb PSI Tires or the Goodyears which are 14 ply. I was lucky enough to have the choice with my 16" aluminum rims that had G 3750 lbs stamped on the inside.
As an objective Bighorn owner, I am incredibly amazed how smooth the ride is with my 110lb PSI tires. Hardly any chucks and bounces, while I caravaned behind Bighorns equipped with the E rated tires bouncing and swaying, chucking and jiving from Canyonville, to Winchester Bay. I paid $1346 out the door less $125 in rebates, mounted, balanced with steel nutted stems and taped weights.
The difference in the ride is enourmous. I can understand buying those excellent Michelin's, but the G rated 614's tires are like nite and day. Thank you senior RV savvy campers who insisted I buy the Goodyears. I am smiling ear to ear after driving 1,000 miles and sometimes forgetting I am pulling a heavy rig. My mission E rated tires cost me severe back problems and now I am singing the praises of the famous Goodyear 614's. To me the choice after driving mountainous, curvy roads and having zero problems is clear as a bell.
Hello, We want to replace our China Bombs and are trying to understand what tire we can replace them with. The tire now on the trailer are ST235/80R16. I looked up the Goodyear G 614 and see that they are 235/85R16. I talked to Heartland and a couple of tire company's and they did not recommend that we go with the 85's as they said they were larger. When we ordered our 3055RL Bighorn we did get the aluminum rims but we don't know if they have the same rating as yours. Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated .
D&J
2008 3055RL Bighorn
2007 GMC 4 door Duramax and Allison Trany

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I just put on Michelin 265/75/16 on mine. They are a load range E w/ 3415 lbs.

They are 1" taller than the 235/80/16 and 1" wider. I did remove my shocks and upper shock bracket for clearence. Easy trade off.

Either way, the Michelin or 614 Goodyear, two of the best tires on the road today for our use. Well worth whatever you have to do to get them under your trailer.

jimtoo

Hi D&J,

I have an 08 3055RL Bighorn and replaced my Missions with Michelin ST235/85R16 E rated XPS. It did decrease the distance between my tires to about 1 1/2" or 2". But I have just gotten back from the Heartland National Rally, a trip of just over 4000 miles for us, because we took the long way back home. Total mileage since replacing the tires is about 7K or so. I have not had a problem, the tires do not hit the shocks or rub on the frame.

I am happy with my choice.

Jim M

SouthernNights

Hey Jim,
You probably do have better clearence with the 235/85/16. The XPS is a great tire.

I went with the LTX which forced the 265/75/16. I now have 10 tires, all the same between the trailer and the truck.

Think of the possibilities:D

jimtoo

Yep,,, SouthernNights,

I was thinking, for a change, because I have the same XPS 235-85R16E on my truck.:D

Jim M

osims

bsims
I am a huge fan of Michelin tires, have them on the truck and car. I have GY 614,s on the trailer because Michelin doesn't make G rated tires, I heard at the tire store they might start making them in the future.
Bill

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have the Michelin XPS Ribs on my Bighorn 3400RE. Changed them out as soon as I rolled out of the dealership. I have used Michelin tires for years and have never had a problem. I asked the tire guy at the Goshen Rally about the Aluminum rims on my 3400. He said if I had the 7spoke rims with no split in the spoke it should be a good rim. I checked my spare and on the inside there is a stamp indicating the max load of the rim. Mine has 3750 stamped on the inside. They are G rated rims. I am very close to the weight limit of the XPS Ribs.. So.. I plan to put 614's on by next year.

Rather be safe than sorry...
BC

sgtbigb

Check Sam's Club for those G614 RSTs, I was able to order them special for $1001.03 which include installation and road hazard warranty!

SouthernNights

I am a huge fan of Michelin tires, have them on the truck and car. I have GY 614,s on the trailer because Michelin doesn't make G rated tires, I heard at the tire store they might start making them in the future.
Bill

Bill you are correct that Michelin does not make a G rated tire in the XPS for auto. use, but if you are looking for a higher rated tire, check out the LTX line. The reason I went with the LTX is the load capacity-3415 on the 265/75/16. The footprint of this tire is HUGE.
It is still rated at LR E. Not sure why.
The only disadvatage if there is one, is the LTX is open shoulder tire. They may require rotation a little more than a closed shoulder in this application.

geeksrus

What size axles are on your coach?

Eh!

Clark

Traveling back from Cape May, NJ we lost one of our Mission Tires (large chunks of tread peeled off). Thank goodnes the tire held up and we were able to pull off to change it. Just replaced all five with the GY G614RST - $1385 was my price balanced, mounted, filled with nitrogen, and HP stems put in. I had about 7,000 miles on the origional Mission when that happened.
Clark

SouthernNights

Just a follow up on the new Michelins.

Our BC always pulled great, but with the addition of the Michelins it is even better. The trailer did feel a little top heavy in cross winds with the Mission tires. We came out to the coast yesterday in a series of strong thunderstorms and were lucky enough:rolleyes: to be in some strong crosswinds again. Very stable. I was glad we upgraded.

For any one considering changing from the Missions, the Michelins are a great investment. I have no personal experience with the Goodyears on small vehicles, but they have a great reputation in the trucking industry. I am sure either tire would give you good service over the long haul.

Sthramann

Hey Jimtoo, is the switch from 235/80 R16 to the 235/85 R16 still working out for you? I would like to do the same; currently there is 2&5/8 inches between my tires, and I'm wondering if I will have room to make the same choice you made.

Has anyone else made this change?

Boca_Shuffles

Kakampers and Vangoes.

Since you were both at the Goshen rally, were your axles checked there for alignment? They checked my alignment, even though my units was only three weeks old at the time.

Just a thought.