Poor Digital Reception (Rural)

navyAZ1

Hi All, we are having a problem getting the new digital TV channels. We camp host in a lot of rural areas where we used to pick up a fair amount of analog TV but now that everybody has gone to DTV the reception is awful. I know Wineguard makes an add on antenna that helps with this but we don't have a Wineguard antenna it is a "Signal Commander" and the Wineguard add on won't attach to it. Does anyone know if there are any other solutions out there that would fit this existing antenna?:confused:

jbeletti

Does your TV have a digital TV (ATSC) tuner built into it? If not, are you running a separate DTV tuner?

If you are running either of the above and you are in an area where analog reception used to work well for you, then you should get a decent DTV signal.

The DTV signals are in the UHF band so your standard batwing should work. Tell us more about your setup.

Jim

SmokeyBare

I've been giving thought to adding omni-directional antenna to our BigHorn.

Here's a Link to one choice>> http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi1500099.html

I've not read much about them yet... but the fact that you can get the signal from any direction... and not need to fine tune the antenna by swinging it back and forth in search of the signal... makes me feel it might be a good choice. Once the analog signals are gone... I'll have lost my edge for finding the best signal. With our Olevia TV's... the signal strength meter is only appears when you do a "Channel Search" looking for over the air signals. Maybe someone will come up with an attachment to show the signal strength.... like the Dish Signal meter. I can only hope !

Marv

Attachments

• 1500099.jpg
    1500099.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 15

navyAZ1

We have a Jensen digital/HD TV in the living room and an old analog with a DTV converter in the bedroom. What is weird is we will get a few stations clear early morning and late afternoon but in the evening around 7:00 pm we loose the good signal. I was told by one of our campers that that add on by Wineguard helps with this problem but as I said it won't fit on our antenna.

jbeletti

Marv,

I think I saw one of those omnis on one of our brands at the plant. Be nice to get a review from someone on them.

navy,

Sounds like you have all the gear. I am wondering if your system is not passing UHF frequencies? That does not explain why some stations cut off at night though.

The wire that comes down from the antenna likely goes to the back of a powered wall plate. That plate likely has the amplifier on it too. Take the plate out and check all the fittings to make sure there are properly crafted.

Consider dropping a lead from the antenna, through the window directly to a TV, then let it scan for channels. Maybe there is an issue with your downlead or the wall plate.

Jim

navyAZ1

Marv,

I think I saw one of those omnis on one of our brands at the plant. Be nice to get a review from someone on them.

navy,

Sounds like you have all the gear. I am wondering if your system is not passing UHF frequencies? That does not explain why some stations cut off at night though.

The wire that comes down from the antenna likely goes to the back of a powered wall plate. That plate likely has the amplifier on it too. Take the plate out and check all the fittings to make sure there are properly crafted.

Consider dropping a lead from the antenna, through the window directly to a TV, then let it scan for channels. Maybe there is an issue with your downlead or the wall plate.

Jim

I'll try that, I know I found the cable connection on the antenna was very loose and it helped with the picelizing a lot so guess I'll go thru and check all other related connections.

Thanks,

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
The last few weeks, the local TV channel was showing a coverage map for the area showing that their new digital TV coverage area would be less than the old analog TV coverage area. There is much improvement that needs to be made with the new digital coverage area that these TV stations are broadcasting out to us.

wdk450

Dtv - vhf - uhf

Gang:
We have been hearing about this from the biggest Sacramento Station, KCRA 3, for a while, and i know something about the subject from my experiences as a Navy CTM and 30+ years as a civilian electronics tech.
The stations that were on analog channels 2-13 were broadcasting an a part of the electromagnetic spectrum known as Very High Frequency (VHF) at an assigned transmitting power and antenna highth. With the move to digital broadcasting all TV stations were reassigned to the Ultra High Frequency section of the spectrum, using the same antenna highth and radiated power as before. Simply put, the higher a radio frequency is the more "line of sight it is". That is, the less the signal conforms to the terrain and fills in shadowed lower elevations.
KCRA has applied to the FCC for higher power and is finding a higher spot for their transmitting antenna to TRY to duplicate their old VHF coverage. Yes, rural areas will get the short shrift in the DTV conversion, no matter how much the stations try to mitigate this.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Gang:
KCRA has applied to the FCC for higher power and is finding a higher spot for their transmitting antenna to TRY to duplicate their old VHF coverage. Yes, rural areas will get the short shrift in the DTV conversion, no matter how much the stations try to mitigate this.

Bill,

is it feasible for stations to build relay towers to help strengthen their signals in rural areas?? I was thinking like the cell towers we see poppin up all over the place

Keith

wdk450

DTV Repeater Towers

Yes, it is feasable to set up "translator" transmitter sites, but these must be on a different frequency than the original station signal to avoid interference in areas that both signals could be received. Remember, that broadcasting is a private business, and there is no requirement by the FCC that they reach certain geographic locations or populations. The decision to increase broadcast capabilities is mainly an economic cost/benefit decision on the station's bottom line, although some (like KCRA) seem to be taking a moral course trying to reach the areas they reached before the digital changeover.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I'm getting REALLY aggravated!!!!

:mad: We are 35 miles from downtown New Orleans camping. I have Direct TV to the LR, antenna to the BR. New flat screen with built-in tuner in BR. We get good reception on 8 out of 12 stations most of the day - higher numbered channels. Our favorite station, WDSU - NBC, is never good (channel 6). The park has just installed WiFi. Could this be distorting our signal? I'm at my wits ends with this whole situation. I will be calling WDSU this week and ask them, AGAIN, for some answers. This is rediculous. Any suggestions, other than what I've read previously on this post. :D

SmokeyBare

One might suggest the cable and dish TV companies had some influence on Congress decision to these changes....

Looks to me many folks will need to go with one of the Pay-type TV services if they want the type of quality... in some cases... any Coverage... that they once had with over the air signals.

...I'm from the Government and I'm here to HELP.... expression comes to mind... :(

wdk450

It Depends . . .

:mad: We are 35 miles from downtown New Orleans camping. I have Direct TV to the LR, antenna to the BR. New flat screen with built-in tuner in BR. We get good reception on 8 out of 12 stations most of the day - higher numbered channels. Our favorite station, WDSU - NBC, is never good (channel 6). The park has just installed WiFi. Could this be distorting our signal? I'm at my wits ends with this whole situation. I will be calling WDSU this week and ask them, AGAIN, for some answers. This is rediculous. Any suggestions, other than what I've read previously on this post. :D

Goldenbetty:
Since different stations have different transmitter sites and elevations, different amounts of radiated power, even different phasing (signal beaming), different stations from the same city can come in differently in outlying areas. But having difficulty just 40 miles away in relatively flat Louisiana seems suspect. Have you checked with RV neighbors or park owners on their experiences in receiving this channel? It's always wise to eliminate your antenna/cables/receivers as a problem source.
Here is a link to the WDSU signal. The area between the circles are the places that used to get the analog signal, but can't get the digital signal strong enough for a picture.
http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_report2/New_Orleans_LA.pdf

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Thanks for ya'lls input. We are in the area in St. Tammany that should be receiving the station without a problem. I'll do more investigating. Thanks.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I purchased the Wineguard UHF add on and installed it on my antenna, last year while in Whitefish MT. we only received one channel that was watchable this year with the antenna upgrade we receive six channels so I am pleased with the $26.00 upgrade.

Don

SmokeyBare

Heartland uses a few different antenna on their RV's. Not all come with Wineguard... Mine came with Antenna Tek.

WingMan will Not work on Antenna Tek

Marv

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I have Antenna Tek too.

What a shame. Just when I was really feeling good about the situation. How about Radio Shack? They usually have the answer to everything.

jpjulian

we sometimes lose our digital signal when certain devices are turned on such as an exhaust fan. there must be some kind of electrical interference going on.