Wal-Mart Overnighter

rogerlouden

Just a quick question on Wal-Marts policy on letting campers use their back lots for overnighters. I had to use one last year for lack of anyother place to park (4 of July weekend) and I did call ahead to make sure. Can one just pull in or is it best to call in advance?

Thanks,
Roger

jbeletti

Great question Roger.

Most Walmarts around North America do allow overnight parking. Where it is not allowed per local ordinance, it is usually posted.

As a practice, I always call ahead and ask. Then when I get there, I never set down the jack, never unhitch and always go in to shop.

Others will chime in with their experiences and practices.

Happy camping :)

Jim

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
When I arrive at a Walmart if there are not other units I walk into the store and ask or at Super WM speak to the security guard driving around. They will tell you where to park.
Good Luck
Wayne

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Roger, like Jim and Wayne said, always ask. Last week we spent a night at the Marion, IL Walmart. I did call a month in advance to check if overnight was allowed. I do know that not all of them post if it is not allowed. Also remember overnight etiquette, don't put your slides out and set up the lawn chairs and barbeque. And do shop as a way of saying thanks. And if my gennys were working correct I would be at the Effingham, IL Wallyworld instead of this $26 CG.
Peace
Dave

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
As an alternative, we have stayed overnight at Cracker Barrel restaurant twice. Most have a specific parking area designated for RV's. On both occasions we had dinner in the restaurant, and then as a courtesy asked the on duty manager for permission to stay the night. Same general guidelines as for overnighting at wally world, don't extend the slides, or bring out the lawn chairs and barbecue. Although I stay hitched, I do drop the front jacks for additional lateral support. I must add that the first time, the Cracker Barrel delivery truck showed up at 3:00AM and parked next to us with the reefer running until employees showed up for work at 5:00AM:(. The second time, no delivery truck, but the trash pick-up truck arrived at 4:00AM and emptied the dumpsters (very loudly) that were also located in back in the RV parking area:eek:. Still it served our purpose to get some sleep and rest prior to continuing our journey.

rogerlouden

Thank you to everyone for the info. Just for your information when your up in my neck of the woods ( ND and Min.) Cabelas ,a very large hunting store has a place just for campers. No hookups, but very spacious. I stayed at the one by Owatonna Mn when I picked up my camper. There is also one in East Grand Forks, Mn.

Roger

Last edited:

truknutt

Committed Member
There is an atlas that lists the Wal-mart & Sam's Club stores (link).

Additionally, here is a .pdf file of "NO PARK" stores.

I don't know the date of last update so it is probably best to still ask permission even though your store may not be on the list.