Thank you Lippert – Service with a smile

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
As some of you know, Lippert provided a free service to all rigs at the Rally. They inspected all rigs at the fairgrounds and wrote a report on each one. We for one had to have our leaf springs replaced because our original ones were “flat” per Lippert. They replaced them at no charge. To be honest, I wouldn’t have known that they were flat. I do not have that special trained eye, but they do and were happy to do it. They did not have to provide this service but I for one am glad they did. I realize that I wasn’t the only one with this problem but again, thank you Lippert for the wonderful service you provided during and after the rally.

SmokeyBare

Mark,

Your so right.... Lippert was crawling under each Heartland RV... many didn't realize we had problems... I'm like you... I had NO CLUE !! But Springs on my BigHorn needed replaced as well.

I'm just back from having my springs replaced... in fact, while they were at it... I selected to Up-grade to a #7000 rating... and I've added the Wet Bolt Kit as well. I decided to change the suspension system to a "Center Point" system by TrailAir and included a TrailAir King Pin Box as well.

I'm sure glad I made the Rally in Goshen !! My BigHorn is in tip top shape now.... thanks to the hard work of Heartland.... Lippert... & TrailAir...
Thank You One and all... You've got a BUNCH of HAPPY HEARTLAND CAMPERS !

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I hate to sound negative but I don't think Lippert looked at our trailer. Our rear axle was off to the left about 3/4" when compared to the front axle. When Mor/ryde removed the axles and springs, the shackles were loose and holes slightly elongated. I had the feeling at the rally that they didnt inspect our trailer but I didn't say anything because we were scheduled for I.S. after the Rally at Mor/ryde. I just hope that eveyrone isn't assuming that just because they didn't get any notification from Lippert that their rig is OK. They should still check on their own just for peace of mind.

Tom of Ypsi

We thought our coach was looked at after being told Lippert went down the row we were in. Like Ray we were told if there was no notification everything was ok. The next day we had an inspection paper attached to our door stating everthing was ok. Somehow Lippert snuck in and inspected our trailer. If any one has had the Center Point suspension installed I would like some feedback on how well it is doing.

wdk450

Lippert Axle/Springs Inspection

Gang:
The rally was too far away from me, but I am concerned about my springs/axles. Do you think if I got to Lippert's operations in Rialto, Ca. or Pendleton, Or. they would do this inspection and perform the needed repairs?

SmokeyBare

WDK,

Kind of difficult to answer that question. I would make a phone call to the Company you mentioned and inquire if they could offer you that service. If Not... I would then ask them where You might go to get them inspected.

The Portal page of Heartland Owner Forum has a link to and a phone Number for Lippert. Maybe that where you should start.

Good Luck !

Marv

boatdoc

This thread kind of makes me chuckle:D. Over a month ago I started a thread on "flat springs" and was assured by the allmighty Lippert, there were not any problems with Flat Springs. NOW, they're at Rallys checking and replacing them, HA HA. Next rally they'll be checking 5th wheel landing gear!!
By the way, they sent me new, made out of country springs and voided the rest of my warranty, 4 months, by me doing the work. I also installed a wet bolt sytem. Now, after 150 miles, two are as flat as the old ones, just as others have told me after they're change out. I guess Lippert's spring design is indeed, to be run flat with little to NO arch. First spring I've ever known to be designed that way.

Pulltab

We thought our coach was looked at after being told Lippert went down the row we were in. Like Ray we were told if there was no notification everything was ok. The next day we had an inspection paper attached to our door stating everthing was ok. Somehow Lippert snuck in and inspected our trailer. If any one has had the Center Point suspension installed I would like some feedback on how well it is doing.

Tom, I had it installed. Only problem is one of the fittings leaked but a quick application of teflon tape fixed it. The rv seemed to pull a little better although the roads we were traveling it was hard to tell if it helped any yet. We need to be on familiar roads to verify. I am extremely happy with the job they did, total time was about 4 hours to tear the axles out, replace all the springs as they were bad per Trailair, remove moryde and re-install everything.

Pulltab

This thread kind of makes me chuckle:D. Over a month ago I started a thread on "flat springs" and was assured by the allmighty Lippert, there were not any problems with Flat Springs. NOW, they're at Rallys checking and replacing them, HA HA. Next rally they'll be checking 5th wheel landing gear!!
By the way, they sent me new, made out of country springs and voided the rest of my warranty, 4 months, by me doing the work. I also installed a wet bolt sytem. Now, after 150 miles, two are as flat as the old ones, just as others have told me after they're change out. I guess Lippert's spring design is indeed, to be run flat with little to NO arch. First spring I've ever known to be designed that way.

When lippet inspected mine they said they were fine, Trailair told them to replace them. When they brought the new ones in sure enough, China was painted on them :(

Tom of Ypsi

Tab,

Thanks for the info. Stopped over to Trailair yesterday to talk to Dale and missed him. Dale came over today and talked with Seamo (Bob & Christina) and Judy and myself. It looks like we are going to get the Center Point along with the level up system. Will make the call on Monday for prices and maybe installation date. If any one else has any insight on the Center Point suspension please chime in with pro's or cons.

SmokeyBare

Wet Bolt kit is bolts with Zerk fittings on the end... with a hole in the middle to allow grease to be used to help it move as it supposed to do... the Kit comes with Bolt... a Bronze sleeve that the bolt goes through... that replaces the plastic sleeve that is on nearly all original equipped springs.... and Shackles that are thicker than the ones that comes on the Springs.

Center Point suspension system is under the frame... replacing the Mor-Ryde Rubber Equalizer that came with our BigHorn. It uses an Air Bag between the two springs... I liked how it works... I was concerned over the damage already to my Shackles I had to replace when I discovered several broken... I also looked at the Mor-Ryde "Z" brackets.... where the spring shackles attach to the Steel plate between the Rubber spacers on the RE system... they too were wobbled out of round badly... I feel they too were soon to reach a point of failure. I do believe Mor-Ryde has since redesigned this type of suspension system... but I've not seen exactly what has been changed. I would like to though.

Here is a Link>> http://www.trailair.com/products/centerpoint/

The TrailAir Air-Pin is a replacement for the Standard King Pin Box that comes with many Fifth Wheel. I was NOT able to get the new anti Chucking attachment... they had a heavy run on them from the Mobile Suite Rally that was just before our Heartland Owners Rally.... so they were waiting for additional parts to start building them once again. Ron at TrailAir told me IF I wanted the plate... to order it and they would ship it... It wasn't all that difficult to install... if one knows how to turn a few wrenches. I looked at one on a (SOB)... and I liked the designe... and I'll probably be ordering one or stopping back in Goshen to have one installed on my future travels. I've not seen any info on TrailAir's web pages for the new Plate.

Keep in mind... many of the companies that supply parts such as these... are "Just in Time" kind of businesses. They don't have a warehouse full of them... they nearly build them to order.

Hope this helps.

Marv

truknutt

Committed Member
Tab,

Thanks for the info. Stopped over to Trailair yesterday to talk to Dale and missed him. Dale came over today and talked with Seamo (Bob & Christina) and Judy and myself. It looks like we are going to get the Center Point along with the level up system. Will make the call on Monday for prices and maybe installation date. If any one else has any insight on the Center Point suspension please chime in with pro's or cons.

Are you getting the Lippert "One-Time Rally Price" for the Level Up system? I wonder how long they will honor it?

Ray LeTourneau

I'm just back from having my springs replaced... in fact, while they were at it... I selected to Up-grade to a #7000 rating... and I've added the Wet Bolt Kit as well. I decided to change the suspension system to a "Center Point" system by TrailAir and included a TrailAir King Pin Box as well.
!
Marv, Did you get the Trail Air Tri-Glide pin box? Or the standard Trail Air pin box???

Pulltab

When I was getting the Centerpoint installed there was a Mobile Suites guy there already getting some work done and he had the new pin box plate. I asked him how he liked it and if any problems. He said it worked pretty good on his but a buddy had one on his rig and said that if you don't have enough hitch weight it will just BANG the hitch forward and backwards while towing. What is enough hitch weight? I don't know, and this was just his second hand opinion.

They didn't have any left when I was in there last monday either so I have decided to wait and give it some till some real feedback comes in.

Ray LeTourneau

When I was getting the Centerpoint installed there was a Mobile Suites guy there already getting some work done and he had the new pin box plate. I asked him how he liked it and if any problems. He said it worked pretty good on his but a buddy had one on his rig and said that if you don't have enough hitch weight it will just BANG the hitch forward and backwards while towing. What is enough hitch weight? I don't know, and this was just his second hand opinion.

They didn't have any left when I was in there last Monday either so I have decided to wait and give it some till some real feedback comes in.
I was trying to get one of these while we were there also. None available but Kara from Trail Air called me while we were on the way home. I had her ship one. Freight was $85.00 and it was here waiting for us when we got home. I'm a bit concerned at it's design. As you mention, it seems like it may increase the ability for the pin to slam back or forth on the hitch. I put it back in the box and am waiting for Monday AM to call Trail Air. Not too happy about buying this thing un-seen. I may be out some serious freight money. I just cant see how it will work right. I do have 3000# pin weight but just don't see it working right?????:(

Tom of Ypsi

Ray,

If it is not too much trouble how about unboxing the pin box plate and taking a picture for the rest of us to see. Have not seen any while tooling around to different places here in Goshen/Elkhart area.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray,

If it is not too much trouble how about unboxing the pin box plate and taking a picture for the rest of us to see. Have not seen any while tooling around to different places here in Goshen/Elkhart area.
Here's a link to tweetys site. http://www.tweetys.com/trailairfifthwheelpinboxes-1.aspx The picture is of the entire pin box. You can see 3 round circles on the lower jaw. Those are grease zirks and there are 3 on each side. There are 6 pivot blocks (3 on each side) of the lower jaw and they rock back and forth and allow about 3" of movement for the pin. What I can't figure out is how they are cushioned or controlled. I found a post on a Cedar Creek forum. I guy has one and loves it! Here's his comment.

"While at the National Rally I had the Trail Air Tri-Glide pin box lower jaw installed. Drove home to Warren, OH yesterday and I want to report that this addition is fantastic! The new Tri-Glide lower jaw replaces the lower jaw on your Trail Air pin box. The Tri-Glide dampens "chucking" while the Trail Air dampens the RV's vertical motion. The improvement in the ride home was amazing. I will not hesitate to recommend the Tri-Glide addition. Great product!"

I'm waiting for my approval for their forum so I can ask him more details. I'm not taking that heavy thing out of the box until I understand how it works.;)

SmokeyBare

Tom,

When I was at TrailAir's shop... at the front bay door... on the left side just inside the door there is a table with one of their early designs sitting there. This one has only 2 Zerk fittings on each side of the glide plate... They did more engineering of the plate and went with 3 as Ray has stated... Tweety's site shows a good photo what he was describing. Tom if you go over to the shop I'm sure Ray can show you how it works. I turned it on it's side... and I could move the glide plate back and forth quite easily

Best I can suggest how it works is... It Rocks back and forth. with the Center point being where it locates when not in motion... then when you pull forward it rocks the glide plate back... and when you come to a stop... it rocks the glide plate forward... always coming back to "CENTER" once the movement stops.

Marv

truknutt

Committed Member
It sounds like this pin plate works based upon friction based upon Pulltab's comment in post 15 (not enough pin weight). Are there pads inside that rub against each other? More pin weight would require more friction. In the tweety's ad there is this note: "Note: Please specify your approximate hitch weight with your order."

Sounds similar to the Mor-Ryde RPB (Rubber Pin Box) except it only travels back and forth to control the chucking.

I'm no engineer but, it sounds like a decent COMPLETE system when used with the airbag & shock of Trailair Air Pin to control chucking & the up/down movement.