Mor/Ryde IS System

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Like some of you I had the Mor/Ryde IS, DB, & No Lub bearings installed on my BH 3400. Since I had the system installed I had only pulled the trailer to Elkhart CG & Goshen Fairgrounds.

We left Goshen on the 19th and the trailer pulled much better. As we drove to our new location the trailer pulled so well that I got a much better fuel mileage. Normally I would always get 10 to 10.5 mpg. I know the onboard computer does not give accurate mpg but it does give you an instant value that should always be pretty consistant. The computer showed I was gitting no less than 11.5 mpg and up to 13.2 mpg. This has never happened before today.

Now I don't believe I got 13.2 mpg but tomorrow I am going to fuel up and check the mileage by hand.

Those of you that had the IS sysem installed, have you noticed any difference in how your trailer pulls.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
"Home" at last!

It feels good to be back but we had a blast at the Rally. After the I.S. install and during our trips going North through Michigan, our rig seemed to feel "heavier" like I was pulling much more weight. Mileage was worse too. When we left lower Michigan and headed west through the U.P. it felt more normal and mileage returned to our normal range of 10 - 11 mpg. I can't explain it other than the first leg almost seemed as if it was always uphill. I found a Cat scale in Plover just up the road from our home park and have to go back today and re-weigh empty. I'll post the final numbers this afternoon. The Combined weight was 23,000 even, 12,020 on the trailer axles and 10980 for the truck.

Niles

I tend to say it pulls easier than before, can't tell you what mileage I'm getting since the install, haven't checked it. I know it rides a whole lot better though. Very pleased with the system, and will never have a spring ride trailer again, don't care who's it is. Folks that got service on their springs, I'm impressed, when I talked to them they told me I should not of been refused warranty on my springs it was a mistake. My question is and continues to be why is there so many with flat springs? Glad they refused to warranty my springs, caused me to install Mor-ryde and am one happy camper.:)

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I forget who posted that there was a significant weight gain by going with IS. Was it you Ray???

I had been in touch with Carter at Mor Ryde. He stopped short of saying the weight gain would be sigificant but would not give me any details.

If you guys do have before and after weights, would you please post them? I would love IS and actual had a tentative date setup in Nov. with them.
Then Carter and I started talking about weight gains (about a month or so ago, right after I got the trailer) and cannot get him back on the phone. He did tell me they were very short handed and every one is wearing a few hats.

I talked with kakampers and will buy his axles if he has IS installed and will just settle for upgraded axles for now. My ultimate goal is disc brakes, though.

Once I have have either the axles in or IS, I will put the disc brakes on.
On the bright side of just upgrading axles and springs and then disc brakes, it would save a trip to Mor Ryde.:)

Ray LeTourneau

I forget who posted that there was a significant weight gain by going with IS. Was it you Ray???
I think TXBobcats weights were a little more than mine. I did not have disc brakes installed, I stayed with the original as everything very good with minmal wear. My before and after axle weights are as follows. Keep in mind, I have maybe 2/3 tank fresh, 1/3 grey and 1/3 black. I know these don't compute. I had some black on board when I filled our fresh before leaving Goshen.

Before I.S. LF 3160 RF 2880 Total front axle 6040
LR 3020 RR 2850 Total rear axle 5870
Total front & Rear combined 11910

After I.S. LF 2940 RF 3075 Total front axle 6015
LR 2280 RR 2850 Total rear axle 6230
Total front & rear combined 12245

Keep in mind, the axles may have been re-positioned for better wheel alignment and weight distribution and the I.S. system uses substantialy stronger steel. 2 heavy crossmembers were added to the frame for lateral stabilization of the frame. I'll be going for the reweigh of my truck without the trailer later today and will post a follow up.

SouthernNights

Ok, so you had a net gain of 335lbs.

That is not bad at all. I assume that you were unhooked and that these weights do not reflect any tranferred pin weight?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
SoutherenNights
I'm not 100% but I think the weights that Ray gave you were what it weighed at Mor/Ryde and they weigh it connected to the TV.

I am the one that had a large weight gain. About 680#.
Here is the page #2 of the thread.. You can see my weights.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=10242&page=2

I edited the post and highlited the weights in Red

One other thing I can tell you.
Normally when I arrived at our destination and we wanted to use the Microwave, we would have to adjust the round glass thing, back on the notches. This time it was still setting properly. I believe this indicates it is riding better. I did have 2 cabinet doors open but that most likely was due to the way we restored the items in the under the sink cabinet.

I am very happy with the new IS & DB system.
BC

SouthernNights

Thanks Bob .

Glad to hear it is working good for you. Have you had a chance to verify the weights taken at Mor Ryde?

I may not have remembered who's rig it was but I followed your thread and pic's.
Thank you for going through the trouble of posting as well as you did.

Ray LeTourneau

The Numbers are in!

I got the truck weighed today. Same fuel, no Suzi. (60#) Not that big a deal.
Here are the results. WOW!!! Lots of numbers.:eek:

Truck & Trailer, all tanks as empty as possible including Lin & I & Suzi 3/4 fuel.

Trk front axle 4290#
Trk rear axle 6690#
Trk axles combined 10980#
Trlr both axles 12020#
Combined 23000#

Truck without trailer 3/4 tank of fuel Lin & I no Suzi.
Trk front axle 4230#
Trk rear axle 3670#
Total Truck 7900# Add 60# for Suzi 7960#

Truck/Trailer 10980#
Truck no trailer 7960#
Pin Weight 3020#

Axles 12020#
Pin 3020#
Trailer Weight 15040#
Last time scaled 14400#
Gain 640#

The end results were very close to Bobcats 680#

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You didn't include KK.. :p I am ashamed of you. Remember your total weight..:eek:
Also did you eat before you weighed or was it on an empty stomach..:rolleyes:

BC None

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Have you had a chance to verify the weights taken at Mor Ryde?

Not yet.. I will probably try to hit the scales when I get to where Ray & Lin are staying. Will let you know after I weigh it.

No trouble with posting the information about the trailer. If we all are a source of what we do then the information is much better for others to make an educated decision of what they want to do. Like Ray, I did not think that putting the IS & DB's on the trailer would increase the weight. But it looks like Ray and I are real close in numbers...

BC

Mariposa

Mor/ryde ?

BC
With the Mor/Ryde IS does the trailer now have a greater Gross carrying weigh?
The extra weight only been important because of moving it down the road?
Bob
Mariposa

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob
The GCWR of the trailer has not changed. It is 14,800#. That said the trailer is heavier but the additional weight is not on the frame. The frame was strengthened by Mor/Ryde around the area where the suspension was installed. You should see that in the pictures I poseted.

I think the trailer pulls easier. I thought I was getting a better MPG but I think it over all is still the same. However my on board computer does give me a better mpg at certain times.

Over all weight of the trailer on the axles is about 13k. This is a bit more than what it weighed with the 7k axles.

BC
PS.. When I leave here I hope to have it weighed at a the Cat Scales. I did not have time to weigh it when we arrived here. I will post the weights when I get to the scales.