Gimpy Youngin'

LOUP

i am loup
I am 36 and I have had Fibromyalgia for over 7 years now. Diagnosed 4.5 years ago. With it comes a lot of other useless bits and baubles I could do without.

I don't act my age, some days I don't even look sick. So what is a girl to do.

Fibro takes every ounce of energy you use on a Monday and doesn't give you any back even after a week of rest. I have been doing just about nothing for a week and I am still worn out from the travel and the rally.
(Jumping on stage with the PianoMan did me in I think.)

Anyhow - just wondered if there were any others here that also had Fibro, CFS, or any of the other "invisible illnesses".

Also - not a vet myself but Daddy was Marine in Viet Nam, Army (Ret 1SG) and hubby (Linuxkidd) was 6 years in the USN on a Fast Attack Submarine ... he was almost never home. We BOTH earned our dolphins!!

My Uncle John was post Korean War Seabee, my uncles Ron, George, and Tommy were Viet Nam vets (2 Marine, 1 Army). My great-Uncle Jim was POW in WW2. My grandfather was pre-WW2 USAF vet and there is even a Coast Guard vet in there too -- but I won't mention him by name. Might embarass the little fella. = )

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey Youngin' It sure did look like you were havin a good time though:p I didn't realize LK was ex Navy. I spent a few years on a Sub Tender in Scotland and at Groton, CT working in reactor compartments on those Subs. I have to praise those guys that spent 6 months or more at sea on those things. Maybe I even worked on LK's boat??? You rest now and I hope you never act your age.;) I try not to most of the time.:eek: And thanks to your family for their service to Our Country.

wdk450

"Invisible Ailments"

Loup:
My wife is a long term diabetic with many of its complications - heart bypass surgery, foot and ankle bones that have become weakend and internally infected, and most of all kidney failure. She uses a wheelchair for all but the shortest walks (or when she doesn't want that invalid image). We do nightly peritoneal dialysis with a cycler machine that requires 110 VAC power, and about 25 lbs. of fluid daily. She came up with a kidney transplant match recently, but the donor was described as having lived a "risky lifestyle" so we turned down that opportunity.
The renal disease does cause a lot of tiredness, and sometimes the prescription pain relievers she takes when she must, leave her sleepy and groggy.
We still get out with our trailer, and are contemplating moving to Oregon from Sacramento, and living full time in the Bighorn.
If you ever need them, there are convient lifts you can add to your trailer entrance to facilitate getting in and out. Search the internet.
Coming from a career in medicine I believe there have been major advances in the treatment of fibromialgia (and all medicine) in the last 10 years and more are coming. I specialized in maintaining Neonatal Intensive Care Unit equipment, and have taught classes on the subject. In preparing to teach the topic, I did research on the specialty, and learned that when Patrick Bouvier Kennedy was born prematurely in 1962 and died 2 days later, he had a condition and birthweight that are entirely survivable today. At that time there were no NICU's, and nothing coluld be done for even the President's son. There is hope for your condition.

LOUP

i am loup
Hey Ray! LK gets on my case about over-doing it a lot and I am trying some new PT things and jedi mind tricks to make myself pay attention to when my body is telling me "whoa nelly". - I am getting better at reading the cues but LK usually nitpicks me enough out of love and devotion that I don't over-do.

He was on the USS Hampton for 4 years (the other 2 years were in school). He was a NUKE ET. It was quite the adventure. I am just glad it is over and he home every night now ... but equally glad he goes to work and leaves me quiet time.

*grins*

Bill ... thank you for that. They have made strides since my diagnosis. When I was trying to get a diagnosis and find out what was going on with you ... some of the crap that came out of their mouths. I was a wreck! At one point they told me I could have cancer - they just didn't know and instead of saying "We don't know, but we will keep trying..." they guessed. BLEH.

I will look into a ramp or something. Right now I am trying to get the paperwork pushed through for a scooter or something. Anything longer than a .10 of a mile on flat surface and I am in pain all over and in desparate need of a hot soak paid meds.
It can be trying dealing with stupid people who think because you have some sort of ailment you are less than a person. It makes me angry. My Aunt Mary was 104 and my cousin used to YELL at her ... HI AUNT MARY HOW ARE YOU TODAY. Til finally Aunt Mary said "Quiet child, I am OLD not DEAF!"
People just don't always get it.