Olevia tv - cannot change channels

sjrellis

Something weird is going on. This happened once before, but only for a short while. Now...on going.

I can turn it on and it works fine. I just cannot change the channel, volume, source, or go to menu. It will not work from the remote (checked batteries) or from the front of the tv. This morning when I first turned it on, I was able to change the channel once. Now, no more. I unplugged it for a couple of hours but still the same. Anybody have a clue? Is there a hidden reset button of any sort behind the swing arm plate? I need more than just CBS in my life!

sjrellis

Truknutt,

Thanks for that info. It does have a reset button. I just tried it, but it didn't do it. As for the model...who knows! It is a Series 2 is all I can find. I've got the cd printed out and that is what it shows. I certainly cannot find anything on the back, sides, top or bottom. Ugh!

eta: I THINK maybe it is a 227.

truknutt

Committed Member
Sorry, I tried. Guess it's time to dial this number:
1.866.9OLEVIA (1.866.965.3842) for Tech Support.

sjrellis

Thanks for the effort! I told Jim I was going to call them tomorrow and he said "this ain't gonna be pretty, you are gonna reach someone in India or Pakistan!" I'll put on my "patient panties" before I call them!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Thanks for the effort! I told Jim I was going to call them tomorrow and he said "this ain't gonna be pretty, you are gonna reach someone in India or Pakistan!" I'll put on my "patient panties" before I call them!

LOL...lost my "patient panties" last year with our Olevia...left it in a dumpster somewhere in upstate NY. Replaced it with a Best Buy Insignia 32" LCD...has a menu you can actually understand, even if you're "electronically challenged" like me! Don't miss the Olevia one little bit!!:D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As an old TV repairman, if your controls on the tv set work then you probably have a defective remote or a remote control panel on the TV. If the hand remote is defective the easiest fix is to buy a universal remote, program it to work with the TV and it is fixed. If the remote control panel in the TV is bad, I would throw out the TV and then buy a new one, as it is my understanding Olevia is out of the TV making business. BTW I have an Olevia TV also and the remote is very iffy. Sometimes works great sometimes it doesn't. On other thing, be sure the infra-red receive eye on the right front of the TV is not coverered.

sjrellis

I left it unplugged all day and turned off the reset button. I turned it on tonight just to see what happened. I was quickly able to change the source to be able to watch directv. It is working fine on dtv. I told Jim if we want to watch local stations, then we will have to watch in the bedroom. At some point, curiosity will kill the cat and I'll change it back to tuner and see what happens.

PacMan4x4

SJRELLIS....

I had sumilar probs with my Olevia T.V and remote functions not working. I took the advice of a fellow HL owner and downloaded Firmware update from the Olevia website and installed it--have had good remote functions since then. May want to give that a whirl.....Let us know how it turns out.

sjrellis

Well, curiosity killed the cat...I went from satellite back to local...and it wouldn't change back. I had to again unplug and turn off reset button all day. I was able to get it back to satellite quickly after turning it back on. I ain't gonna do that again. Well, not right now anyway.

So, how in the heck do I download a Firmware update? Maybe that is the fix I'm looking for.

truknutt

Committed Member
Go back to the Olevia Support Page.
At the left you'll see "FIRMWARE UPDATES".
Enter your FM number from the back of the tv. There are instructions listed dependent upon your model number.

Have fun!

sjrellis

Thanks! I'll give it a whirl right now.

eta: Forgot...I can't see any #'s on back of tv. Are they behind the panel that holds the tv on the swing arm doo-dad? If so, this won't be a diy job for me. I'll have to wait on Jim.

I just looked where all the connections are and I think I see the USB port. At least I can see THAT!