Sundance XLT fifth wheel hitch weight

In the 2010 brochure, for example the 287RL, GVWR is 11,600. Dry weight is 7,180 lbs. and hitch weight is listed as 1,440 lbs. If you use 12-15%of the weight of the FW, how do they determine 1,440 lbs hitch weight? I know the dry weight is not the way the FW sits on the lot, so if you add 10% which is 780 lbs equals 7,898 lbs, which gives me a hitch weight of 1,185 lbs for proper towing. Is this correct or am I completely baffled???
We are new at this and trying to determine what we can pull, how much etc. We like the Sundance FW XLT's. Thanks for any advice we can get!:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Heartland uses an averaging method to determine the "published" weight on their trailers. I believe they take the weight of a given number of trailers and average that weight for the brochures and website. Every trailer coming off the assembly line is weighed and given a new label applied to the outside of the trailer next to the VIN tag. This sticker tells you the maximum allowable cargo capacity which includes water and all of your "stuff". The hitch weight will vary quite a bit depending on how you load the trailer. It's safe to say you may have an average of 20% of the trailers total loaded weight on the hitch. That said, if your trailer is at it's GVRW, your hitch weight may very well be 2300#

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We are taking our 287RL out for a 3 week trip in a few days, i will be looking for a CAT scale to answer my weight questions. I've done the math and it no where near adds up.
My VIN dealer sticker says: (max. payload 2000 lbs) GVWR 11,380 lbs

GVWR 11,380
said unit weight -7,180
--------
Payload figures to be 4,200 lb but its not.

I can't see how they say 1/2 ton towable as my 08 F-250 is about maxed out on payload with the Ultra-lite XLT.

truknutt

Committed Member
In the 2010 brochure, for example the 287RL, GVWR is 11,600. Dry weight is 7,180 lbs. and hitch weight is listed as 1,440 lbs. If you use 12-15%of the weight of the FW, how do they determine 1,440 lbs hitch weight? I know the dry weight is not the way the FW sits on the lot, so if you add 10% which is 780 lbs equals 7,898 lbs, which gives me a hitch weight of 1,185 lbs for proper towing. Is this correct or am I completely baffled???
We are new at this and trying to determine what we can pull, how much etc. We like the Sundance FW XLT's. Thanks for any advice we can get!:confused:

20% of your dry weight (7,180 lbs) equals 1,436 lbs (rounded to 1,440). 20% of your 11.600 lbs GVW equals 2,320 lbs. Use this as your target MAXIMUM pin weight. This will become part of your tow vehicle's Rear Axle Weight.

The dry weight IS how it sits on the lot..before you load anything into or onto it. Heartland weighs each rig as it leaves the line for actual dry weight; this includes only the options installed at the factory.

The 10-15% rule applies to "bumper hitch/receiver hitch/tag-a-long trailers".

Hope this helps....