Gas Hot Water Heater in Sundance XLT FW

The 2009 Sundance XLT FW's all seem to have only gas hot water heaters. They are not gas/electric. We would like to know if this is a good thing to have while you are in a campground, or is it better to have the dual HW heater. We are trying to decide on weather to purchase a 2009 vs the 2010. As a new prospective owner, we have concerns about using the gas all the time and feel that it may take more gas and cost more than having the dual. Any thoughts?
:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Fordcamper, This isn't an answer to your question but in looking at the Heartland website I thought it unusual that they would put gas/electric in the travel trailer and not in the 5th wheel. I wonder if it may have been an accidental omission in the list of features. From my previous experience, gas only HW heaters don't use much LP because their recovery time is generally pretty fast. Having the electric option though is nice when you don't have to pay for the electric. Regarding 2009's vs 2010's, if you buy one from a dealers inventory it will probably be an 09. If you special order to get options you want, it will likely be a 2010.

MC9

Fordcamper, I have had both. I am not sure without a calculator if there is a significant cost difference. Electric when available, is just more convenient and you can run both if you need to speed up.

SmokeyBare

Nice to have both... While at a Campgrounds where the electricity is provided with the Site Rent... why not use the energy provided by the site.

That said... should you have the occasion to dry camp... with out electricity, the propane gas heater sure makes lots of hot water. In fact if there is a heavy demand for hot water... just use BOTH !! Much faster recovery time using both.

If your dream RV doesn't have both... you can always add an after market heating rod to the tank... Talk to your dealer... do your research and you'll make the right decision for your own personal needs.