Propane fitting outside?

DMAX154

We just got a new 2010 3200RE and I have noticed that there is a quick connect fitting just to the right of the entry steps. It is down by the frame and has a 1/4 turn shut off on it. I would like to know if this is a remote conection for a grill or is it made for some thign else??

MC9

propane

I am not with the factory. But I did stay at a Holiday in express once. Yes the propane fitting is for a grill or whatever (campfire?).

DMAX154

Thank you for the info. Next question is where do I find one? I checked local plumbing and propane refill center and they dont have any. Can I get one through Sundance?

truknutt

Committed Member
We just got a new 2010 3200RE and I have noticed that there is a quick connect fitting just to the right of the entry steps. It is down by the frame and has a 1/4 turn shut off on it. I would like to know if this is a remote conection for a grill or is it made for some thign else??

Dmax,

What does the fitting look like? Is it a quick disconnect with a safety lock like the attached pic? If so that is a "Mr. Heater Part #F276181 1/4" Quick Connector w/Shutoff". The 1/4 turn is the safety catch to keep the fittings from disconnecting. If this isn't what you have then disregard everything I said and just ignore the old guy in the corner! :(

Attachments

• F276181.jpg
    F276181.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 163
D

Dave Willis

I can't find the pictures, but that sounds correct.

Thanks,

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
Do you have to worry about the propane psi? I remember reading somewhere that the psi needed for a gas grill, lantern, etc. is different than that needed for the RV appliances. Am I nuts on this?

D

Dave Willis

It will not be an issue if the appliance is listed for use with propane.

thanks,

truknutt

Committed Member
Do you have to worry about the propane psi? I remember reading somewhere that the psi needed for a gas grill, lantern, etc. is different than that needed for the RV appliances. Am I nuts on this?

You will probably need a low pressure regulator. I had the same setup on my last toyhauler and used a RVQ grill. It had its own regulator. My new Coleman grill also has its own regulator.

itsbeertime

My BC did not come with this which sucks since the tanks are on the off door side, so I had my dealer run a line around to the door side and install a connector to attach my 12' hose too. I tried two different grills, neither would go above the lowest setting when turned to high because they were going through 2 regulators, the one up at the tanks and the one for the grill. So now we have to redo the whole thing so as to bypass the regulator at the tanks and only go through the regulator on the grill.

jimpav

I'm running into the same thing. I've found that all those little grills that use the little disposable tanks have high pressure regulators on them. Hooking them up to an already reduced (11 inches water column) system as our trailers are, results in hardly any pressure at the grill.

MurrayN.

I just bought a 10' propane hose to run off my door side connector and it works fine. You need to take the regulator off of your bbq and run the propane directly off this connector into your bbq as it has already been reduced to the proper pressure. I tried this with mine and it works great. You don't need to bypass anything at the tanks, just get yourself a new hose with the correct male end and the standard female nut on the other and you are in business.:)

Dave would look into this matter a little further. I too have the quick release propane connector. Just spent the morning trying to figure out why I cant get it to work on my grill. I purchased the quick connect hose directly from Heartland as I could not find one anywhere else. When I connect the quick connect and depress the neddle valve on the other end I get a small volumn of propane coming out. The lever value is full on. The PSI coming from the quick conect is not enough to provide a full flame on the grill. On board propane bottles are full. I think PSI at the end of that long run to the quick connect may be a problem. Is everyone else using their outdoor grill with no problems???

jbeletti

nithaus,

Could be a double regulator issue. The grill you are using, is it designed to work off the low pressure side of an RV LP system?

Mine wasn't so I removed the regulator (Weber Q). I still was not pleased with the volume of flame. I had ON/OFF and Medium heat only.

Recently, I bought the Mr Heater product that allows me to tap the high pressure side of the RV's LP tank. It worked better the one time I used it since.

Jim

jimtoo

You might try turning off both of your propane tanks, leave hose connected and then turn them back on slowly. If you connected the hose or depressed the needle valve, that may have been enough to cause the automatic cutoff in the tank to activate. It is built into the tanks now so in case of broken line or big leak it will shut off the propane.

Jim M

Jim I have all the attachments that allow me to go directly off the on board propane, along with a 12 ft hose that I use to fuel my trusty $29.00 propane grill. Used it successfully on my old 5th wheel.The bottles were on the entry side of the rv. As you know the propane is on the opposite side and its not convenient to run the connectioins from that side. Plus my hoses are not long enough. I am not sure I understand the low pressure side issue. It just makes since that there should be enough presure at the quick connect. I am stumped. Have not tried jimtoo idea.

truknutt

Committed Member
Jim I have all the attachments that allow me to go directly off the on board propane, along with a 12 ft hose that I use to fuel my trusty $29.00 propane grill. Used it successfully on my old 5th wheel.The bottles were on the entry side of the rv. As you know the propane is on the opposite side and its not convenient to run the connectioins from that side. Plus my hoses are not long enough. I am not sure I understand the low pressure side issue. It just makes since that there should be enough presure at the quick connect. I am stumped. Have not tried jimtoo idea.

If your grille & hose worked directly off the bottle on your last 5th wheel, chances are there was a regulator on your grille. Running straight off the bottle is the "High Pressure Side" of the RV.

Where is the piping for your quick connect run tapped into..before or after the RV regulator? If after the regulator then you are running off the "Low Pressure Side". Running through 2 regulators is probably killing your pressure.

porthole

Retired
nithaus,

Mine wasn't so I removed the regulator (Weber Q).

How did you do that? I looked at my "Q" and couldn't see any easy way to get the reg off.

nithaus,
I still was not pleased with the volume of flame. I had ON/OFF and Medium heat only.

I was not pleased either with my new Q, tech support said the Q series needs to have the propane turned on and let sit for a minute before lighting. I tried that and it seems a bit better.

Rrloren

Where do you get the correct male quick connect fitting? I've been to several hardware stores and can't find one. They have the entire connection which includes the female part which is already on the trailer.