Step covers – on a budget

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
While strolling through Menard’s in Elkhart I saw some outdoor mats on the end of the aisle and they got my thinking. I pulled one out and was checking them out. They were 18” x 24” and hemmed all the way around and had a backing on them. The price for them was $1.96. Well I bought one took it back to the trailer and tried it on the step. It was a perfect fit but I needed a way to mount them. I went back to Menard’s and found a grommet tool. The price for that was just a few dollars so I bought the set and then went to get (3) more mats. When I got home I installed (4) grommets per side on each mat. I then used nylon ties to strap the mats onto the steps. So for around $14.00 I was able to cover all (4) steps with a high grade of indoor-outdoor mat material, a much cheaper way to cover them than buying the hemmed style from Camping World at around $13.99 a piece.

Attachments

• 100_0202.JPG
    100_0202.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_0205.JPG
    100_0205.JPG
    428.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_0206.JPG
    100_0206.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_0207.JPG
    100_0207.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_0208.JPG
    100_0208.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_0211.JPG
    100_0211.JPG
    444.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_0213.JPG
    100_0213.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_0214.JPG
    100_0214.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_0215.JPG
    100_0215.JPG
    370.9 KB · Views: 252

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Hey Mark, those look really good I told Kenny at the rally we needed new ones now he can make them thanks for the idea ours are 3 years old. I also liked the cover you and Linda had over your Table it was cool another idea----Thanks Kathy:)

Hunter

Newby
This forum never ceases to amaze me.

Another ingenious and inexpensive mod. Wonderful!
Thanks,
Jeannine

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had done a similar mod on our TT, using pieces of a rubber-backed outdoor "grass" carpet. I was leary of doing it on the 3670 steps because it looked like the added thickness might interfere with folding the steps into travel position. Any problems with that?

boatdoc

We can fold all but the bottom one on our 3670. We just take it on and off when doing the folding up. We use the springs to hold them on.

porthole

Retired
Wish the "four stepper" was an option on our ordered Cyclone.
My wife could really use the smaller step height.

Erma

I made wooden steps for our TT. Lightweight, 15" wide by 43" long. The dog loves it! Gives her more room to get out the door.

sgtbigb

Mark
You make a bunch of them and put on the foe sale table at the next rally, May pay for the fuel cost to get there!

mrcomer

I had done a similar mod on our TT, using pieces of a rubber-backed outdoor "grass" carpet. I was leary of doing it on the 3670 steps because it looked like the added thickness might interfere with folding the steps into travel position. Any problems with that?

No problem at all with folding up the steps.:)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The other day, while shopping at WalMart in Cheboygan, I noticed some step covers in their RV section for $8.63. Came with two springs and the grommets already installed in two positions for adjustability. Not super thick material, but not bad. Put it on the bottom step to see how it holds up. Seems to stay put.

I added a grab bar to the screen door after seeing Ray's towel bar mod (in person). I actually found one at CW's website for that purpose and mounted it easily. Big help. I also got one of their screen door release levers, that go through the plastic slider. Ray's mod is great, but it negates using the sliding opening. We use it a lot to pass stuff in and out when cooking. The lever is about $5.00, but I had to go buy a 9/16" drill bit to install it, for $23.00! Oh, well, it'll be added to my tool collection at home.

Managed to fix my delaminating interior wall panel with some Liquid Nails and 12" clamps.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Hey Mark, Just wanted to thank you again for the idea.We are camping this weekend and found a menard's we got 3 carpets and that kit for $7.00 the carpets were on sale for $.99. Kenny put them on and they look great took him about ahalf hour well thanks again----Kathy:)

mrcomer

Hi Kathy,
Glad you like them. I think they will actually last longer with that heavy backing on them, unfortunately that makes them a little stiffer to work with but once they are on they are pretty good. I know I like mine. Saved a bundle too.

Mark

imchud

While strolling through Menard’s in Elkhart I saw some outdoor mats on the end of the aisle and they got my thinking. I pulled one out and was checking them out. They were 18” x 24” and hemmed all the way around and had a backing on them. The price for them was $1.96. Well I bought one took it back to the trailer and tried it on the step. It was a perfect fit but I needed a way to mount them. I went back to Menard’s and found a grommet tool. The price for that was just a few dollars so I bought the set and then went to get (3) more mats. When I got home I installed (4) grommets per side on each mat. I then used nylon ties to strap the mats onto the steps. So for around $14.00 I was able to cover all (4) steps with a high grade of indoor-outdoor mat material, a much cheaper way to cover them than buying the hemmed style from Camping World at around $13.99 a piece.

I went to Menards tonight and pick up my mats and gromets:D thanks for the input