#1 Gray tank drain valve problem

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
I was draining my tanks yesterday and when I went to push in (close) the drain valve on my #1 it didn't engage or close the valve off. It now feels disconnected from the valve mechanism (free play). Has anyone else had this happen? I had to remove my sewer line because when left open the stench is horrific! The underbelly is covered so I don't see any way to check it without removing it. Is there a way to inspect the valves from inside the coach? I'm a fulltimer and can't really cruise over to a repair shop without having to stay in a motel.

Bill

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having crawled around behind my basement walls, I'd say no way to get at it easily. If the stench is from the sewer coming back via the open valve, try getting a Valterra twist-on valve and put it on the sewer connection, then attach the hose. Until you can get the valve fixed, you'll need to dump Gray #1 before dumping Gray #2 or the Black tank. Otherwise, you might overload your sewer hose since you'd be dumping two tanks at once.

ChopperBill

You could get "lucky" like I did. The cable came out of the crimp on the handle end. Just had to take the bottom loose a few feet each side of the handles. Took the nut off that holds the valve handle to the frame and pushed it out into the area between the frame and the door. Have to hold onto the outside housing with one hand and push/pull the handle with the other hand. Hey, it works and I didn't have to take the belly off. I haven't figured out a way to re-crimp the housing into the handle ***'y. I also have the Valterra twist-on valve because I figured this was a problem that would surely come up.

osims

bsims
retired4fun
I had the same problem with my 06 Bighorn. I ended up recrimping with a set of large bolt cutters, just have to go easy with the cutters.
Bill

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
Thanks for the advice! I was at my dealer's yesterday and he said the cable is a common problem. I'm gonna fix it this weekend hopefully. :)