My 2 cents worth for design ideas!

Code3

: Rear mounted receiver hitch for bike rack
: LED lighting on inside
: Gas oven option
: Normal size queen bed for us tall guys

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Code3 - not sure what type of rig you have but I can agree with a couple of your suggestions. It would have been nice if a hitch was installed on the camper. We went ahead and had one installed so we can take either the golf cart or bikes with us depending on where we camp. Secondly, lighting could be improved in some areas. In our BC, we pulled the big room tv out and installed a flat screen lcd tv, using the room behind the tv for storage. It's not Heartland fault that we decided to do this. But in the pantry cabinet would be nice. I have tried the stick-on push led lights but it just doesn't work to well. Too much bouncing down the road for them to stick very long. The oven isn't a real problem- you just have to learn how to use it. It's not like the one in the house. Our bed isn't a problem in that it's a full size queen bed. My husband is 6'3" and doesn't have any problem with it.
Byrd

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I am starting to install LED lights in our unit. They are great and use very little amperage. They are somewhat expensive though. To replace the fluorescent bulbs with fleds $100. The light from them for under counter work is OK. I have some for the overhead Fluorescent I put into the living room, but doubt they will give good working light from the ceiling,time will tell after install. They small flush mount lights are $18 apiece. I have not been able to get the flush mount light out that are over the couch yet. They turn as I try to get the out. Any ideas??
LEDs are great if you use enough and get the brightest ones. There are warm whites and bright whites, that I am using. So far I have cut 15 amp hours of bulbs out, more to go.

Edmonton

sailorand, where did you buy your LED lights from? We like to boondock and this is something I want to do to cut down on power consumption.

David

kswatson

Finishing Touches

1. I agree with the bike racks. (Front mount or rear mount)
2. Wire and Hose Management
Has anyone checked the holes that are drilled for the electrical/water wire/hose runs? When I opened the compartments I noticed that the wires/hoses were rubbing against sharp edges and the electrical/water wire/hoses would soon be comprmised. Heartland should install grommets and wire/hose casing to ensure that the runs will not fray/leak, had my dealer take care of that problem.
3. Install auto LP switches for tanks on all trailers.
4. Better seals for slides.
5. Design a better fresh/grey/black level indicators, after the second use mine have never really indicated the proper level.
6. Have the QA department "thourghouly" check the caulking/flooring and veneer for defects, my dealer replaced almost all of the above.
Keith

bar20

Re: Finishing Touches

That single vinyl strap that holds the heavy sliding door between the bedroom and the rest of the trailer needs to be reengineered. The strap will not hold the door even around mild corners.

Before putting on the panel that covers the back of the water heater, have a second person make sure the valves are open.

Use a metal flange, not plastic for the fresh water city inlet. The one on my trailer failed and started leaking on our first camping trip and I don't know if water got inside the wall of the trailer or not!

This is 2010 not 1980. There is no reason you can't produce a manual for each model that Heartland makes. With todays computerized copy machines that can produce a spiral bound manual with the flick of the mouse on your computer, makes it so easy. Up to date pictures of current items found on your trailer and information on how to use them should be found in one location.