Thermostat Way Off

itsbeertime

Have the carrier AC with whatever digital thermostat. We at first thought the AC wasn't working because I set it for 76 (like I do at home and our last rig) and it never did anything to cool the rig. After some observations it looks like the thermostat is off by a mile. There is "cold" air flowing out of the vents, but to get the trailer to cool down you have to turn it down to at least 70. Now the thermostat will read 70 and the AC will shut down, but no way in **** is it 70 in there. 77 or so maybe, 70, uh uh. Is there a way to calibrate this like on my home thermostat, or is it junk and I need to get it replaced?

thomasinnv

i have the same issue. mine is off by about 6 degrees...reads 64 when it is 70. i am told by heartland service that there is no calibrating/adjustment. it is junk.

itsbeertime

I'm lovin it more and more...not! Thanks for the link Ray. I appreciate it. Maybe Heartland should just wire the rigs and we can add all our own stuff that actually works right after. Haven't had it a month and I'm already tired of replacing things.

B

bwwalczak

Thank you for the posts. Responses have been noted. After some discussion with the vendors, they assure us that the Carrier remotes just take a little more time to reflect temperature than the typical wall mounted controls.

itsbeertime

Thank you for the posts. Responses have been noted. After some discussion with the vendors, they assure us that the Carrier remotes just take a little more time to reflect temperature than the typical wall mounted controls.
Mine is not a remote. It is a wall mount digital thermostat. And it is a Carrier.

And how much "more time". The thermostat reads 70 and the AC shuts off. And it's probably 77 in the coach. The only way to get it to be 70 in the coach is to turn the thermostat down to 64 or so. I don't find their answer plausible in my case. A couple degrees is one thing, but 6, 7, 8 is another.

Pulltab

I put on a replacement thermostat and I am not positive but I think it has an adjustment to calibrate the temp. Ours had only the little cheap lever thermostat.

You can also set the swing temp on this one, it actually responds fairly quick to temp changes.

B

bwwalczak

Most of the Carrier thermostats are wall mounted, but they are wireless (remotes). The wall mount just holds it in place.

There is probably a problem with the controls in the thermostat. Please contact our service department for a potential replacement.

SouthernRV

RV Dealership Owner
Just a quick post. We are experiencing the same problem with Carrier digital wall mount thermostats when we upgrade a fifth wheel bedroom unit or just replace the main unit. We are seeing temperature differences as much as 11 degrees from actual. They ARE defective thermostats that are easily replaced by unplugging from wall and plugging in new Carrier unit. Covered by Carrier warranty, but their tech support know nothing about it. Just return for a replacement and it should work great. 2 minute repair when you have new stat unit.

chloe2

The Carrier digital wireless thermostat in our unit is infrared. All it does is send the mode (heat or AC) and a temperature to the roof unit. The roof unit houses the thermostat. The wall mounted remote does nothing to sense the actual temperature. Since it is taking the temperature at the roof, it will be off by quite a bit. We will have to figure out what actual temperature we want and see what setting on the remote will obtain it ... any calibration would be to change what the remote is sending to the roof unit (ie: I choose 70 degrees but it needs to send 65 degrees ....)

Seriously? I can't believe a "thermostat" mounted on the wall in my RV is communicating a temp from the unit on my roof! No wonder we can't get it right! I also sent email to Bryan in hopes of a resolution.

2010augusta

Fred and Linda, When adjusting your thermostat can you hear something click or tick around the main A/C unit? Our would and I believe that it is a remote temperature sensor for the factory thermostat. I went to Wal-mart and and bought a $20 hunter thermostat and am much happier with the performance of it in keeping a more stable temperature. There are many post on the hunter T-stat conversion.

rick_debbie_gallant

The Carrier digital wireless thermostat in our unit is infrared. All it does is send the mode (heat or AC) and a temperature to the roof unit. The roof unit houses the thermostat. The wall mounted remote does nothing to sense the actual temperature. Since it is taking the temperature at the roof, it will be off by quite a bit. We will have to figure out what actual temperature we want and see what setting on the remote will obtain it ... any calibration would be to change what the remote is sending to the roof unit (ie: I choose 70 degrees but it needs to send 65 degrees ....)

I believe you are right. I have a thermometer at the ceiling and one at "living level" I try and set the thermo so that it comes on at 65 degrees at setting level. I also have the ceiling fan on low to keep the air moving. Works for us.:)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My bro has the wireless IR thermostat in his SOB. Same deal, figure out what it should be set at and don't rely on the set point. I guess that's the way they set em up. Don't know why.

Peace
Dave

thomasinnv

mine is not a wireless thermostat. it is off by 6 degrees. i have checked it using a few different thermometers with the same results. it has been replaced twice by heartland and all the replacements have been way off as well. inferior product i suppose. i give up. i will either just live with it or buy a different brand and install it.

lwmcguir

Best thing to do is replace it with a digital unit of another brand. Should be right on if you get a good model. Do need to get the two fan speeds as most of the digital units only have one speed. There are some really good post regarding the exchange.

irvin56

Go by comfort setting not temp reading

A control tech at my work told me the small metal, 2 types in thermostat,bimetal, flexs back and forth to operate temp. they are CHEAP and most are JUNK.

set by your comfort and good to go. could be 5-15 degrees out.

I set all thermostats in trailer and house same way. I only care about how hot or cold it is in areas I'm in. night time I turn down 8-10 degrees from what ever temp reading is.