Mods made to our 2955rl

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have made several mods to the Horn over the last 2 months.
1st. was the basement. I didn't like the grey fuzzy stuff on the walls and I wanted to insulate the floor under the bedroom. I got the idea from Roger (uncle rog). I purchased a sheet of 2" and a sheet of 3/4" solid foam insulation from Lowes and glued them together. I cut them to fit between the beams and installed them (cut them just a little wider than the beams) and they will stay in place. You can use 2 1/2" drywall screws and washers to hold them. Thats where it went out of control. I really wanted to cover the insulation with thin plywood. So now what to do to make it look nice. I found a place on E-Bay that sold plastic chrome diamond plate in 24" wide by 40' long rolls. Great, the walls are only 23" high. I removed all the walls to install the ceiling. I cut the ceiling plywood to fit all the nooks and cranies and glued the plastic sheeting to it. Now one at a time i trimmed all the walls to fit and installed the sheeting to them. Wont do that again. As you can see by the pix, every wall has aluminum angle installed in all the corners. What a PITA. I also sealed every crack and crevis as I assembled it. I could see a lot of light showing through every where. the last thing was putting the access door to the back of the UCD on a piano hinge, another PITA and installed a slide bolt latch in the door.

MOD #2 was the new TV mount(DW's idea I just had to make it work). We bought a new 32" HD-LCD, so it was my task to put drawer slides on a piece of wood and a lazy susan on the the TV stand and mount it to the wood. Well after a 3-4 hours of cussing and fussing . It all came together and it works good. It can be pulled out to be seen from the dining table or the couch. See pix. BTW, I (we) made a DVD holder to install behind the TV, now that we have room behind it now.

MOD #3. Headboard. We needed a place for our remotes (got tired of sleeping on them all night) and a water glass or two. Removed the headboard and cut off the tops of the 2 vertical pillars. There was also a piece of trim screwed to the top of the headboard between the pillars to remove. Then installed a piece of 1"X4" oak to the HB and screwed it to the tops of the pillars. I then used the 3 screws that held the trim piece on and fasted the 1x4 to the HB with them. I used some hardwood molding to make a box and a little piece of trim to finish it off. Stained it all and put some spray clear satin on the whole thing. AH HA, you thought it was done ,right? Wrong, DW went shopping and came back with a piece of lumber that looked like leather. Heaven knows where she got it, Joanns maybe. So I removed the nice stuff that HL put in the inserts, cut to fit the leather for the holes, glued and screwed it all together. BTW, I hope that the screws holding your HB on are better that ours. There were only 2 holding in place out of 6. It is now held on by 6 molly fasteners. Yes there are pix.

MOD #4 Using old cooler hinges and latches for the ladder tube made out of fence tubing. I have to give credit to Kenny (katkens) for the idea. Mine came off an old IGLOO cooler. The pix should tell the story.

Attachments

• trailer mods 002 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 002 (Large).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 783
  • trailer mods 003 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 003 (Large).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 731
  • trailer mods 005 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 005 (Large).jpg
    117 KB · Views: 725
  • trailer mods 007 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 007 (Large).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 689
  • trailer mods 008 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 008 (Large).jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 691
  • trailer mods 009 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 009 (Large).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 678
  • trailer mods 010 (Large) (2).jpg
    trailer mods 010 (Large) (2).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 721
  • trailer mods 016 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 016 (Large).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 644
  • trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 616
  • trailer mods 018 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 018 (Large).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 623
  • trailer mods 027 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 027 (Large).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 714
  • trailer mods 031 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 031 (Large).jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 736
  • trailer mods 033 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 033 (Large).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 669
  • trailer mods 030 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 030 (Large).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 746
  • trailer mods 035 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 035 (Large).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 672
  • trailer mods 039 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 039 (Large).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 811
  • trailer mods 040 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 040 (Large).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 736
  • trailer mods 041 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 041 (Large).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 726
  • trailer mods 023 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 023 (Large).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 776
  • trailer mods 022 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 022 (Large).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 750
  • trailer mods 021 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 021 (Large).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Nice Job Bob! Too bad you have to put your stuff back in there. Good idea putting the angle around the step down area of the door side. I've heard a couple reports of owners having heavy items there and having the staples come loose and everything falls through to the wrapped under skirting area. I used about 6 angle brackets to reinforce mine so my tools have better support. Was the e-bay site a store and can you give us a link for that diamond plate material? Thanks.

Ernie & Lettie

Looks really good in there. You do good work. Might have to think about doing that to the 29rls we have. Keep up the good work

Bob&Patty

Ray, you dont want to know what I found with the step down and the tool box. All the staples were rusted out and yes the bottom was ready to fall out. I was disappointed when I looked under the coach and found that the front of both the boxes are just raw plywood and open to all the water that can be thrown up in there. They are just behind the propane tanks and is wide open under there. I did do the tool box also with the angle to make the bottom stronger. So I made some sheet metal covers for both sides and sprayed them both really well with 3M undercoating. Sorry Ray, heres the link.http://cgi.ebay.com/HEAVY-DUTY-Diam...0?hash=item1c03367229&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Bob&Patty

Ray, most of the time I dont have a choice. Patty goes shopping and I get stuff to do.:eek: Bob:D

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Very nice Bob,
Did the basement floor you have down come from HL with the coach? How wide is it?

The BC's you only get the fuzzy stuff on the floor. Very difficult to keep clean.

jbeletti

Bob - dude, you got some mad skills! That looks awesome. I look forward to seeing it in October at the CenCal rally.

Jim

Bob&Patty

Larry, yes it came with the grey plastic flooring. That is really what I wanted to use for the walls and ceiling. I called HL, they gave me the Phone # for the manufacturer of the stuff, but they stopped making it 2 years ago. So I had to go to plan B. It's about 5' wide. Bob:D

truknutt

Committed Member
That basement is off the hook! It's so much brighter without those black walls and that access panel. Incredible work...When do you start taking custom orders?!! :rolleyes:

Bob&Patty

Truk, the garage is open right now. Still 2 more mods this week. Patty went shopping again.:eek: Yes it is really bright. I did not say that I moved the lights also. I guess the last trip out the instant lawn turned on 1 light and almost melted the lens. I need a challenge, so my mind goes wild sometimes. Bob:D

itsbeertime

Hey Bob, when do you want to start on mine? :D I hate that fuzzy stuff, especially on the floor. Everything gets stuck in it and is impossible to keep clean.

Where is that tube mounted? I wanted to mount a sewer hose thing like that up along the frame, but my frame has all these ribs sticking out which makes it impossible to mount anything. :( And even though HL was nice enough to build a nice little compartment for my sewer hose, they put it RIGHT under the kitchen cabinet. I don't think I want to store it there. :eek:

Bob&Patty

Beer, I had to mount it as forward as I could. On mine the propane lines are in the way to mount any farther back. But still working on it, I might have to notch the top of the tube to do it. I don't have a sewer hose problem. I found a large area behind the door for the sewer dump handles. Just had to install a metal barrier to keep them from sliding forward and onto the ground. I could take some pix. The garage is open, so just bring money. The redoing of the basement was a 2 week job and a PITA. Bob:D

itsbeertime

Yeah, the propane lines would be in the way too. I've been scratching my head how to mount something. If I mounted it across the front it would hang down awfully low. And that's where they put the compartment for my sewer hose, behind the UDC almost right above the dump outlet. They did a nice job but like I said it is right under the kitchen. I didn't know it was there at first and I got looking wondering why the shower was not inside the UDC like it was supposed to be. So I opened the shower door and discovered the compartment. :) You did a nice job on your basement and I love the headboard, too. I hate not having a nightstand like we did in the last rig. I Need to come up with something.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks Bob you just added more stuff to Kenny's list. he is lucky he already had the sewer hose holder made but the shelf behind the t.v is cool I want one for my movies. Thanks again Kathy:)

P.S. Kenny says thanks pal

jbeletti

Uh Oh Bob - You're in trouble now. Wait till Kenny sees you in Nashville. He'll get a hug from Patty though :)

Jim