Problems filling Fresh water tank

rgirouard

I have tried filling my fresh water tank twice now (only had unit 13 days). Seems like there is 1/2 as much water flowing back out of the fill tube as there is going in. Didn't realize that the water would find its way into my basement but it did. That is not a problem but the backflow is. Even if I try exerting pressure with the the fill hose, there is still water coming out. Takes a long time to fill the tank. Took the panel out of the basement and the fill tube is full of water. Can't see why unless the tube isn't gravity fed to the tank. How can this be remedied. Any thought.
Thanks

tmcran

Please do a search . There is a lot of info on this topic and the fix is usually easy. Now the leak is another story that needs fixed.

Leaking water can really cause damage. It could be the water is running into the UDS and it is seeping around the seams. I had that problem and recaulking fixed it. If this continues get back with your dealer ASAP.

boatdoc

Roger, Welcome to the Heartland forum!! Anything and everything that goes wrong with our rigs more than likely has been discussed and solved here on the forums. Your fresh water fill problem is at the top of the list for problems and many of us can't figure out why Heartland has not cured this over several years of the same thing. Just click on the search button at the top and type in "fresh water fill" and you'll get many answers to your problem and know more about it after reading awhile. Next will be the A/C poor flow. All have answers.
We love our 3670 Bighorn and it took awhile get get the factory bugs out. Just grin and bear it for awhile and it will all come together.
Welcome again, boatdoc

rgirouard

thanks tm

Yes, I found quite a bit of info after I posted.

The leak is not a problem as I see what I have to do. The back flow was coming into the UDC flowing into the holes where the winterizing hoses are connected with valves. Have to seal those off.
Thanks again

skyguy

We had _exactly_ the same problem the first time I filled the fresh water. 2nd time, I noticed the same thing - the overflow would dribble down to the winterizing valves, and sneak in behind the panel through the holes for the valves.

First thing I did was to get inside behind the UDC by removing the six screws that hold the black panel located behind the UDC. You'll find a real jungle in there! I noticed the routing of both the FILL tube and VENT tube to be undesireable! There were dips in both tubes that would allow water to accumulate and basically screw up the fill you are trying to accomplish. Routing and hanging the two tubes so they had a steady gradient to them fixed most of the problem.

While you are in there, it won't hurt to double check every water fitting for tightness!

2nd plan is to install a small lip underneath the fill socket in the UDC, to direct water away from the valves that are underneath.

There are other, more involved methods to cure this - this seems to be my simple way out. The water flow I use to fill the tank is on the order of 2 gallons a minute, so about 50 gallons takes 25 minutes. That's plenty for us for a wheekend! And I can find plenty to do for that 25 minutes!

Good luck!

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Check this when having trouble filling tank

Last week when we were out I had to fill my tank upon arriving at a campground. It was going OK and then started spitting water out the fill hose. Then suddenly the screen on the vent popped off and fell at my feet. When I checked it I found it was mostly clogged, with what I am not sure. I cleaned and replaced it. They are held in place with a rubber washer, easy job. I then continued filling the tank with no problems. I know there can be several issues with filling our water tanks but a clogged vent screen may be one of the easiest ones to address.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Last week when we were out I had to fill my tank upon arriving at a campground. It was going OK and then started spitting water out the fill hose. Then suddenly the screen on the vent popped off and fell at my feet. When I checked it I found it was mostly clogged, with what I am not sure. I cleaned and replaced it. They are held in place with a rubber washer, easy job. I then continued filling the tank with no problems. I know there can be several issues with filling our water tanks but a clogged vent screen may be one of the easiest ones to address.

Was it a yellowish-white goop? I haven't used my tank fill yet, but I did pull the screens off the lav and kitchen faucets to check them. With all the crud imbedded in the screens, I'm surprised I actually got water out of them. For some reason, the kitchen faucet assembler decided it needed to have two screens in it. It now has only one.