Slide Question on Big Country

SilverRhino

We will be taking delivery of our 2010 Big Country 3250 RTS later this week. One thing that I'm not totally sold on is the fact that all three slides work off one switch. I was told that in previous years the Big Country had switches or valves that allowed you to extend or retract the slides one at a time, in the order you chose.

Has anyone added a manifold to their hydraulic system and if so, how difficult and expensive was it?

It has also occurred to me that with the molded fiberglas rear section, I will not have a bumper in which to hide my sewer hose :confused: Where are others with this type of set up hiding their hoses??

Thanks for any input.....We look forward to many exciting new adventures in our Big Country.

sdgirl

Hi SilverRhino and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I have a 3300RL and LOVE it. I have a bumper, but still put my sewer hose (and in a rubbermaid tub and put that in the front compartment. I thought the one switch for all three slides was weird too at first, but so far it's work out for us. Happy trails and let us know how you like the 3250

We have an 09 3490BHS and love it,it also only came with one slide switch, so I had 3 manual hydrolic knobs added for about 180.00,at the manifold, now I can control each slide by itself if needed, at the side compartment where the Hydrolic pump is,.the thing that I have found out,now that I have added this, I very rarely use each slide,on it's own' I now think I could have done without it.

itsbeertime

We had the slide selector switches added at the factory when we ordered it. There was no way running all 3 slides out all the time would work for us, especially in our yard or when you stop at a rest stop.

As for the lack of bumper with the rear cap, ours came with a place just forward of the sewer outlet in the sidewall to store it. Nice idea, but it is directly below a kitchen cabinet. Oops. Time to rethink that one. I keep it in the back of the truck in a box.

bigredtruck

our Cyclone also doesn't have a rear bumper. Someone (on this site) mounted a 4" PVC pipe under the trailer to hold it. Now I see (because we bought one that is yet uninstalled) that Camping world sells them with mounting gear and caps. Until that is installed we are using one of the outside storage bins that comes with the Cyclone.

bigchief

Welcome silverrhino,
We have a 09 3250ts and do not have a selector switch for the slides. Had one on my last trailer and in five years, used it twice. In the 3250 you can get to almost everything you need when stopped for a snack. They also tend to be a bit expensive to only use once in a great while. I installed a 4" PVC just aft of the rear stabilizers. Have a good time with the new 3250, we sure do like ours.

bigchief

bill40

Hi SilverRhino,
We have a 3500RL we found the same as Dave said don't use it that much, but like having a slider hitch probably would not need it all the time but that one time you do it is nice to have. Dave got a great price and for that amount I would have it done. Take it out and try it and then make your decision.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulation on your new 3250 :) When we got our BC in 2007 the rear cap was not an option so we have the standard bumper sewer storage. In all of our travels, we have seen alot of pvc piping that people have installed under the carriages. Seem to work well for them.
We were very skepticle(sp?) about having one switch for the slides but found out it really wasn't a problem. Like Bill suggested above, try it a couple of times before making a decision about modifying the hydraulics.

SilverRhino

Thanks for all the input! We will be taking the trailer out for its maiden voyage over the 4th of July.......just finished unloading our current Road Ranger.....WOW did we collect the junk!!!

Main reason for asking about the slides was for lunch stops while traveling.....not sure we will be able to get to fridge and table, but will definetely try before we decide ! Thanks again for all suggestions and input.

GETnBYE

We have a 3250 and can get to everything except cabinet under kitchen sink. I wanted seperate switches at first. But have stopped on roadside several times with no problems not sliding. we can get to everything with no problems. Have fun over the 4th.