VERY junior member with questions

Hi,

I just joined this forum today an I'm soliciting opinions.

My wife and I think we want to purchase a 5th wheel RV. We are cautions about it and want to get "our feet wet" first. My research has led me to Heartland for what I THINK i need/want.

A bit of background. It is just Pam, me, and 2 Scottish Terriers. We plan to use the RV about 5 or 6 times a year for 4 or 5 days each time. We will take the 2 grandkids only once a year. We are primarily interested in state park type sites and prefer to be in the out of the way places. I have a Dodge Deisel 2500 HD 4X4 with a tow package I use for my horse trailer with living quarters.

Based on the above I think I want a 27 to (max) 30 foot model. I plan to sleep the grandkids on a couch pull out when they go with us.

That makes me think I want either the Sundance XLT 287RL or the North Trail 24RL or 29RE.

Opinions? Should I restrict myself to the smaller units due to maneuverability? Are there any well cared for used ones in this forum?

Sorry for the length and will appreciate any input.

Nick

bigredtruck

I have a Cyclone so am not qualified to answer on the smaller units, but wanted to let you know that your qualifiers are very valid. We have been to a few state parks where it was only due to DH's superior driving (& backing) skills, that we were able to get in to a spot.
Most Heartland's are very maneuverable and you will find the fifth wheel style trailer very easy to get around in. Due to our licensing, I am not able to tow our Cyclone, but I never had any trouble with our old Cougar.
Good luck!

sandman

Hey nick i have a 29 ft sundance and i had the same concerns as you about length. We stay in a lot of state parks and we found that a 29 ft is about as big as most camps will let in. We found some that we are to big for so in my opion dont go above a 30 ftand they tow easy but still give you plenty of room.

itsbeertime

We *just* traded our 31 foot fifth wheel for this one which is about 2-3 feet longer give or take. It was the perfect size for the 4 of us and for getting most anywhere, although we very seldom camped at state parks. But it was the perfect size to pull around and get in and out of most anywhere we ever went. If you are wanting to do state parks you will probably want to limit yourself in length for certain. I know lots of them have 30 foot or so limits.

SmokeyBare

Skymutt,

We full time in our 3400RL BigHorn... and we often use State Parks ( as I type... East Harbor State Park - Marblehead Ohio ) We have no issue getting it into any sites we've been to yet... we've had our Horn since Oct 2006... parked at Army Corp parks in Georgia... County Parks in Georgia and Tenn.... We've had it in small private parks in Florida... Texas... Arizona... and have yet to find we were too long.

Select the floor plan you like... which ever you chose you'll be fine.... and You'll be glad you decided on a Heartland Product !!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Skynutt - hopefully ya'll will join the fun world of camping. We in our younger days were big state/national park tent campers till about 6 years when we got our first 5th wheeler. It was another brand's 26' 2 season camper; small but just enough to give us the rv bug and great for parks. After about 18 months we moved up to a 32' Sundance (a Heartland brand model 30__? which is not in production now) which we kept for about a year for moving up to our current Big Country being about 34' (better to round up when looking at sites cuz I've found that alot of sites are not quite the length they say they are). We still do some state/national parks camping but double check the facilities before trying to go there.
To answer your question about camper size, anything up to about 33' can be a safe size in state/national parks but like I said, research before heading out.
Best of luck :)

Thanks...

Thanks everyone for the common sense check. Any other thoughts are more than welcome.

Now if any of you know of a good used rig that fits that category please let me know. We are not in a hurry but won't pass on a good deal. I'm trying to limit the investment but would rather buy quality used than cheap new.

Nick

SmokeyBare

Do a Search on the forum for "Items for sale"

3055 RL >> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=10464

3500 RL >> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=10603

3670 RL >> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=10362

3200 QB >> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=10153

Marv

Thanks Marv,

I've been there. Problem is there is nothing that fits my needs. Also nothing around my general area (north Alabama and TN).

I'm looking for up to 30 feet and without bunks. Also looking for a deal so it may take awhile! LOL

Nick

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Look at the North Trail series including the 28RLS. Not a fifth wheel but fits your specs.

The decision also has to do with what your TV is and yours is ideal for this series.

jpmorgan37

Hi Nick;

Like Marv, Sue and I full time in our 39 foot Landmark. We have used State Parks, City Parks, County Parks, Corps of Engineers and US Forest Service to name a few. One thing that I do is to look at the park web site or Reserve America and you can see most of the specifications of the parks as far as site length and width, back in or pull through, available hook ups. We just did a 5000 mile trip from Washington state to Florida and stayed in a number of the aforementioned parks. I had no problem with length.

Do your homework before you leave and you'll be fine with what ever you decide to get.

Good luck and travel safe,

John