PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV Dish

DMitch
06-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I would like to use my DTV Receiver in my RV. What is everyone using for a dish and were did you purchase the dish? Thanks in advance.

All the best,
Dan

cookie
06-24-2009, 04:52 PM
DMitch, I got my dish from a DirecTV installer. I have hi def so it is a 5 LNB Slimline model. There are many for sale on eBay or Craigslist. I put mine on a tripod that I bought from TV4RV (http://tv4rv.com/cgi-bin/ppcal.cgi?action=shopcateg&user=8001&categnumber=9&start=1&stop=11). I got the Heavy Duty Combo Package. I am very pleased with it. Good Luck.

Peace
Dave

VixPix
06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
We have DirecTV in our rig, too. We use a KVH dish mounted on the roof. If you are inclined to use your home receiver(s) in your RV, I suggest Cookie's approach with a 5LNB slimline dish. If you want HD reception - and who doesn't when the rig's have HD capable TVs? The 3LNB that comes with the KVH, even when hooked up with an HD AutoSat switch and a multi-switch still doesn't give reasonable HD signals. So, I've spent a lot of money trying to get HDTV in our rig with DirecTV and I've given up since I'm not inclined to buy a separate 5LNB dish when I have one installed on the rig. DirecTV moved most of their HD channels to a different satellite earlier this year that the 3LNB won't pick up. If you have a choice about providers, Dish supposedly provides HD channels that are easier to pick-up with 3LNB dish. Just my 2Cts. Good luck.

Victor

TXBobcat
06-24-2009, 05:19 PM
You can put your Directv Receiver in your Bighorn. You can use a round Sat and a tripod, or some other configuration and watch all your standard stations. However you can not get local channels once you are about 150 miles away from your home. You will have to use the outdoor Batwing on top of the trailer to get local channels in the area you are camping if the signal is strong enough.

We fulltime and use this for our antenna.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-satellite-antenna/12618

I am going to go to the heavy duty tripod later on and get a new dish.
http://www.tv4rv.com/

BC

Theresau
06-24-2009, 08:19 PM
We use our original Directv satellite dish - the technician left it with us when we had our home's dish replaced. We bought a tripod and a searching device from Camping World. Camping World also has satellite dishes.

You have to have your satellite receiver attached to your TV to do the setup. We have used two methods to find the satellites - using the inside receiver setup (refresh satellite as I recall) and using the little searching device - sometimes we've used both at once (hub outside and I'm inside). The setup screen will tell you when you have enough signal and then you take it from there (usually from 85% to 99%) to finalize the setup.

We've found that it's either very easy to get the signal or it's not available due to trees, etc.

At times I've had to call Directv to have the receiver reset (if it's been a long time since I've used it - I leave it in the RV) - it's never been a problem - it's fixed within seconds.

You lose your local stations. We also lost my favorite sports channel once but they temporarily added it for me for a one month fee...we had to see the Tigers play...

What I really enjoy is the XM music - I was able to attach the receiver's audio to the RV surround sound system...

Nabo
06-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi DMitch - we have 3 Directv receivers in our BC. A friend who was moving gave us his 3 lnb dish which we have used for over 4 years now. As posted above the HD signals have been moved to the K band satelites so now getting all channels in HD has gone away. You still can get about 95% of the channels in standard form, about 3% in HD with about 2% HD channels missing all together.. I'm just waiting around for someone to move so I can get a 5 lnb dish. Yes you can use your house receiver. :)

wdk450
06-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Page 7 of the July 2009 issue of the Good Sam magazine "Highways" has an ad for a free RV Direct TV setup including a portable dish.
Here is the link too the magazine:
http://www.goodsamclub.com/highways/digitaledition/

ziggy
06-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I saw that a few months ago Bill. I ordered Direct TV through their web site and found out after many phone calls that you don't get that free dish unless you go through the company listed in the fine print of the ad. If you go through Direct TV, they won't give you the dish and will tell you that they don't support RVs. I know that some people have had Direct TV support for their RV so I don't know how that actually works.
Kristy

Theresau
06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
I've never had a problem with customer service while in my RV (and I've told them we are...first go round they helped us step by step on obtaining the signal).

DMitch
06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Thank you everyone, I know what to do now and how to go about it. Today's an exciting day, just got a call from our dealer and our new unit will be ready for pickup on 6 July. The wife can't sleep nights.

Thanks again to all,
Dan

Larryheadhunter
06-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi we bought a motosat HD Direct TV dish from a local dealer who installed it on our roof. It is a 5LNB dish and works awesome. If you put yours on the roof make sure its above the front door, so in case you want to ad a second a/c or make other additions, it won't interfere with your dish. I know this as a fact because to install a second A/C we have to move ours to that location.

Gaffer
07-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I got a direct dish and tripod quote from an installer's post on craigs list $50

Oldlthrneck
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
We have had DirectTV for almost 2 yrs, and could not be happier. We called Dish and they told us they would not support us, since we were fulltiming. We called Direct, told them we were full timers and they said no problem. I also pay the monthly service fee. There have been times when I just could not find a good signal for getting the HD channels, I could get them in regular but not HD. All I do is call them and they come out with the high dollar signal finder and dial me right in. No charge. My receiver went out a few months ago, they sent me another one, no charge. I am pretty happy with Direct. We also use the RV4TV tripod, works great.
Fred

htneighbors
07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I have DTV with just the standard receiver - no HD. I have a VuQube and have been totally pleased with it. I just sit it on the ground next to the Cyclone and can find the satellite within about 1-1/2 minutes. Got it from Tweety's for @ $700.

jayc
07-26-2009, 03:47 PM
We use a Dish Network unit for our HD selection. I also recently got one of these (http://www.tv4rv.com/) and are learning that it makes setting up much easier. You might want to check them out as well.

Oldlthrneck
07-27-2009, 06:35 AM
We use a Dish Network unit for our HD selection. I also recently got one of these (http://www.tv4rv.com/) and are learning that it makes setting up much easier. You might want to check them out as well.

jayc:
Picked up one of those about 2 yrs ago and love it. I can set up for the best reception without worrying about whether or not the ground is level.
fred

VMS
08-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Having trouble getting any signal...wide open, and yet nothing... Do any of you run into this issue? How easily do you pick up a signal when you first start setting up your dish?

Steve

Jimmyt5
08-09-2009, 03:53 PM
As long as all the numbers are met Ie: Skew,angle,direction and the antenna is straight (very Important) the signel is always there.

Rigmover06
08-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I have the Direct TV and Bell. Both work off the Vuecube(Kingcontrols) Dish I bought of Fleabay. Works awesome. It goes in the big truck when I am working and in the Cyclone when I am hobby trucking. 2 min for set up and we be watching TV.

cookie
08-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Having trouble getting any signal...wide open, and yet nothing... Do any of you run into this issue? How easily do you pick up a signal when you first start setting up your dish?

Steve
VMS, tell us more about how you are setting up your dish. Is the mast plumb?

Peace
Dave

SmokeyBare
08-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Have you set Zip code to get the correct settings for the Dish to aim at the Satellite??

htneighbors
08-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I have the Direct TV and Bell. Both work off the Vuecube(Kingcontrols) Dish I bought of Fleabay. Works awesome. It goes in the big truck when I am working and in the Cyclone when I am hobby trucking. 2 min for set up and we be watching TV.

I agree with Rigmover06! I have the VuQube, too. Never taken me more than 1 1/2 - 2 minutes to set it up. It self-levels. Don't know about those tripod mounted systems, tho! :)

2010augusta
08-10-2009, 02:02 AM

Steve

I have a round dish for DirecTV and once I have the tripod staked down and the satellite wired up to the receivers, I can find a signal within 5 minutes, usually less time. I set the elevation angle to the number provided in the setup screen, then I use a compass to rotate the dish to the correct setting, but leave the bolts for both settings only finger tight. I then have my wife watch the tv set to the signal meters and she yells out the numbers so we can maximize the signal before I lock down the bolts. I bought on of those $10 signal meters, but never used it yet. Using the compass I have been able to have a 56% signal from the start and can fine tune it to 94-98% with in a couple minutes. Since we only move every couple months the tripod works great.

I also have a roof-mounted Winegard sat, but the factory wiring running along the roof/wall somewhere has shorted out and it would be a PITA to get it fixed. Anyways we can't use it most places because of shade trees. In retrospect the roof-mounted dish was a mistake, should of used the money towards a TPMS.

Hope this helps

Draco Dog
08-23-2009, 01:27 AM
We are now full-time rvr's. We have DirecTV. The last couple of monthly billings there has been a $15 tax charge increase. On channel #203 it states that it is regarding a new tax that cable tv is pushing thru for the satellite customers only. I checked out "on-line" the website www.stopsatellitetax.com (http://www.stopsatellitetax.com) Is everyone that has satellite TV to be charged this $15 tax charge increase per month? We have had this tax added to our bill the last 2 months, yet friends that are not full-time rvr's have not seen this extra charge on their bill.

Does anyone know what is going on and what can we do about it. If we need to send messages to congress or whatever; how do we find out where to send it.

(ofcourse congress has taken their summer month off), but would like to have an idea on what to do.

Any suggestions???? Thanks, cheri

truknutt
08-23-2009, 08:25 AM
We are now full-time rvr's. We have DirecTV. The last couple of monthly billings there has been a $15 tax charge increase. On channel #203 it states that it is regarding a new tax that cable tv is pushing thru for the satellite customers only. I checked out "on-line" the website www.stopsatellitetax.com (http://www.stopsatellitetax.com) Is everyone that has satellite TV to be charged this $15 tax charge increase per month? We have had this tax added to our bill the last 2 months, yet friends that are not full-time rvr's have not seen this extra charge on their bill.

Does anyone know what is going on and what can we do about it. If we need to send messages to congress or whatever; how do we find out where to send it.

Any suggestions???? Thanks, cheri

Did you look at the information provided by link that you cited? They have provided you a draft letter that can be sent to your elected officials (if they accept e-mail correspondence). The draft letter can be edited to suit your situation; I did. Thanks for providing that link by the way.

VMS
09-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

Forgot that I posted this about my dish connection. I found the problem. It was in the way the cables and such were installed on the trailer. For some reason, there are people out there who just put things together without really thinking about what should go with what. So...the two coax fittings to go to the exterior of the trailer were switched. The one that said satellite was not for the satellite....

I also found that the speakers for the stereo system were all odd as well. I had at one time speakers that would work in the bedroom at the same time the exterior speakers worked. So...I got that one fixed as well.

So...all is good in the audio-video department on the trailer now.

Thanks for all the replies everyone..

Steve

Wharton
09-06-2010, 04:12 AM
We RV about 5 months of the year, move our receiver from the S&B to the RV. We have a "Distant Network Service" waiver with Direct TV and change drop our local stations and add the national ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS stations, both east and west coast. Has worked without a hitch(except for people at Direct TV who don't understand DNS service, just call back until you get someone who does) for 10 years. We use a tripod and have about 100' of coax wo we can set it anyplace.