Direct TV Dish

DMitch

I would like to use my DTV Receiver in my RV. What is everyone using for a dish and were did you purchase the dish? Thanks in advance.

All the best,
Dan

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
DMitch, I got my dish from a DirecTV installer. I have hi def so it is a 5 LNB Slimline model. There are many for sale on eBay or Craigslist. I put mine on a tripod that I bought from TV4RV. I got the Heavy Duty Combo Package. I am very pleased with it. Good Luck.

Peace
Dave

VixPix

We have DirecTV in our rig, too. We use a KVH dish mounted on the roof. If you are inclined to use your home receiver(s) in your RV, I suggest Cookie's approach with a 5LNB slimline dish. If you want HD reception - and who doesn't when the rig's have HD capable TVs? The 3LNB that comes with the KVH, even when hooked up with an HD AutoSat switch and a multi-switch still doesn't give reasonable HD signals. So, I've spent a lot of money trying to get HDTV in our rig with DirecTV and I've given up since I'm not inclined to buy a separate 5LNB dish when I have one installed on the rig. DirecTV moved most of their HD channels to a different satellite earlier this year that the 3LNB won't pick up. If you have a choice about providers, Dish supposedly provides HD channels that are easier to pick-up with 3LNB dish. Just my 2Cts. Good luck.

Victor

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You can put your Directv Receiver in your Bighorn. You can use a round Sat and a tripod, or some other configuration and watch all your standard stations. However you can not get local channels once you are about 150 miles away from your home. You will have to use the outdoor Batwing on top of the trailer to get local channels in the area you are camping if the signal is strong enough.

We fulltime and use this for our antenna.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-satellite-antenna/12618

I am going to go to the heavy duty tripod later on and get a new dish.
http://www.tv4rv.com/

BC

Theresau

We use our original Directv satellite dish - the technician left it with us when we had our home's dish replaced. We bought a tripod and a searching device from Camping World. Camping World also has satellite dishes.

You have to have your satellite receiver attached to your TV to do the setup. We have used two methods to find the satellites - using the inside receiver setup (refresh satellite as I recall) and using the little searching device - sometimes we've used both at once (hub outside and I'm inside). The setup screen will tell you when you have enough signal and then you take it from there (usually from 85% to 99%) to finalize the setup.

We've found that it's either very easy to get the signal or it's not available due to trees, etc.

At times I've had to call Directv to have the receiver reset (if it's been a long time since I've used it - I leave it in the RV) - it's never been a problem - it's fixed within seconds.

You lose your local stations. We also lost my favorite sports channel once but they temporarily added it for me for a one month fee...we had to see the Tigers play...

What I really enjoy is the XM music - I was able to attach the receiver's audio to the RV surround sound system...

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hi DMitch - we have 3 Directv receivers in our BC. A friend who was moving gave us his 3 lnb dish which we have used for over 4 years now. As posted above the HD signals have been moved to the K band satelites so now getting all channels in HD has gone away. You still can get about 95% of the channels in standard form, about 3% in HD with about 2% HD channels missing all together.. I'm just waiting around for someone to move so I can get a 5 lnb dish. Yes you can use your house receiver. :)

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I saw that a few months ago Bill. I ordered Direct TV through their web site and found out after many phone calls that you don't get that free dish unless you go through the company listed in the fine print of the ad. If you go through Direct TV, they won't give you the dish and will tell you that they don't support RVs. I know that some people have had Direct TV support for their RV so I don't know how that actually works.
Kristy

Theresau

I've never had a problem with customer service while in my RV (and I've told them we are...first go round they helped us step by step on obtaining the signal).

DMitch

Thank you everyone, I know what to do now and how to go about it. Today's an exciting day, just got a call from our dealer and our new unit will be ready for pickup on 6 July. The wife can't sleep nights.

Thanks again to all,
Dan

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi we bought a motosat HD Direct TV dish from a local dealer who installed it on our roof. It is a 5LNB dish and works awesome. If you put yours on the roof make sure its above the front door, so in case you want to ad a second a/c or make other additions, it won't interfere with your dish. I know this as a fact because to install a second A/C we have to move ours to that location.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We have had DirectTV for almost 2 yrs, and could not be happier. We called Dish and they told us they would not support us, since we were fulltiming. We called Direct, told them we were full timers and they said no problem. I also pay the monthly service fee. There have been times when I just could not find a good signal for getting the HD channels, I could get them in regular but not HD. All I do is call them and they come out with the high dollar signal finder and dial me right in. No charge. My receiver went out a few months ago, they sent me another one, no charge. I am pretty happy with Direct. We also use the RV4TV tripod, works great.
Fred

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I have DTV with just the standard receiver - no HD. I have a VuQube and have been totally pleased with it. I just sit it on the ground next to the Cyclone and can find the satellite within about 1-1/2 minutes. Got it from Tweety's for @ $700.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We use a Dish Network unit for our HD selection. I also recently got one of these and are learning that it makes setting up much easier. You might want to check them out as well.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We use a Dish Network unit for our HD selection. I also recently got one of these and are learning that it makes setting up much easier. You might want to check them out as well.

jayc:
Picked up one of those about 2 yrs ago and love it. I can set up for the best reception without worrying about whether or not the ground is level.
fred

VMS

Having trouble getting any signal...wide open, and yet nothing... Do any of you run into this issue? How easily do you pick up a signal when you first start setting up your dish?

Steve

Jimmyt5

As long as all the numbers are met Ie: Skew,angle,direction and the antenna is straight (very Important) the signel is always there.

Rigmover06

Sat TV

I have the Direct TV and Bell. Both work off the Vuecube(Kingcontrols) Dish I bought of Fleabay. Works awesome. It goes in the big truck when I am working and in the Cyclone when I am hobby trucking. 2 min for set up and we be watching TV.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Having trouble getting any signal...wide open, and yet nothing... Do any of you run into this issue? How easily do you pick up a signal when you first start setting up your dish?

Steve
VMS, tell us more about how you are setting up your dish. Is the mast plumb?

Peace
Dave