Rear Window Glass Broken - Any ideas?

patalanh

the rear window in our 3300 Sundance shattered this afternoon. :eek: dealer claims this may not be a warranty item. :(
it also appears that the window over the dining area may also be stressed. :confused:
please advise.

thomasinnv

if you can prove that it was improperly installed leading to failure, then it should be warranty (provided your still under warranty). otherwise it's probably on you.

D

Dave Willis

I have forwarded this to our service dept. You should here from them soon.

Thanks

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
patalahn,
You should call Heartland Customer Service (877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030) and explain what has happened before jumping to any conclusions. I wouldn't take what the dealer is telling you for granted.

Good luck,
Mark

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
I cannot answer as to the cause of the window cracking on this post. The dealer should follow proto call and submit pictures and their view as to the cause of the crack to Heartland's service department. We will base the decision of warranty coverage on that. Chris De La Paz is the rep for your territory so if you wish to call him to discuss the windows and your findings that would be great.

patalanh

thanks to all you folks who have responded thus far.
FennerJ, do you have Chris' phone number? the dealer's service rep went to the campground and took photos (we are seasonal, but basically just weekenders).
BTW, it's a 2009, we just bought it in March and had it delivered May 2nd. The dealer delivered it to the campground so we have never towed it.
our neighbor at the campground stated that he was walking around the backside of his camper, (the rear of our camper is perpendicular to the backside of his), he heard a crackling sound, looked up and the glass disintegrated before his eyes.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Would you be interested in posting pictures of your broken glass here on the forum?

SmokeyBare

Ohhh Mark,

Forgive Me..... I just couldn't help my self....

Attachments

• woman-ladder-hole_~73979528.jpg
    woman-ladder-hole_~73979528.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 75

shaffjc

stress cracked window

I also have a cracked rear window in my 3300 Sundance. I was getting it taken care of through my dealer but they closed. I seem to be getting a less than desirable response from factory customer service.

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I have to assume you have tempered rear windows. If they "crack" they should shatter.

It is quite easy to determine failure of Tempered glass, do not remove it from the frame, and take very detailed pictures.

It sound slike your dealer has already been there, but there should be a warranty from the window manufacturer.

I have to assume you have tempered rear windows. If they "crack" they should shatter.

It is quite easy to determine failure of Tempered glass, do not remove it from the frame, and take very detailed pictures.

It sound slike your dealer has already been there, but there should be a warranty from the window manufacturer.

So this happened to me last night. I went to slide the window open to let in fresh air and it literally shattered in my hand. I had to vacuum up the glass today although the only frame to this window was a single metal piece on the left side. The rest was just shaped glass on our Heartland Bighorn. 2017. I'm still shocked but plan to phone the powers that be Monday morning. I did video (it was still crackling) and take lots of pix. P_20210306_091909.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That is tempered glass from the appearance of it. I’ve knocked out enough vehicle side windows to recognize it. Usually takes a sharp point of impact (or a stress) to shatter it. Possible there was some flex under the handle/frame that stressed the point of attachment. Pulling the handle towards you as you slid it sideways may have triggered it to finally shatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is tempered glass from the appearance of it. I’ve knocked out enough vehicle side windows to recognize it. Usually takes a sharp point of impact (or a stress) to shatter it. Possible there was some flex under the handle/frame that stressed the point of attachment. Pulling the handle towards you as you slid it sideways may have triggered it to finally shatter.

I was wondering if the Willow tree that is behind us with low hanging branches that were beating on the back of the unit in heavy winds, until I phoned and they came out and cut, them could have weakened it? I suppose anything is possible. 🤷🏻*♀️

JohnDar

Possibly, but usually it takes a sharp strike with a hard pointed object to shatter via impact. I’ve had police officers wail on a window with their collapsible baton to no avail. Then I walk up with my plastic spanner (with a pointed metal tip in it) and take it with a tap
Repeated impacts from the tree may have stressed it near the metal edge to where you pulling on it was the final straw.

Possibly, but usually it takes a sharp strike with a hard pointed object to shatter via impact. I’ve had police officers wail on a window with their collapsible baton to no avail. Then I walk up with my plastic spanner (with a pointed metal tip in it) and take it with a tap
Repeated impacts from the tree may have stressed it near the metal edge to where you pulling on it was the final straw.

Thank you for the info. Knowledge is power! :D

wdk450

Noting that you are in Arizona, I was wondering if there were wide daytime/nighttime temperature swings lately there?

Noting that you are in Arizona, I was wondering if there were wide daytime/nighttime temperature swings lately there?
Actually probably a bit. It's been quite warm in the day and cools off at night. We're wintering in Yuma currently. The glass guy came out today. If he can just put it back in $250. If he had to remove the window entirely $450. It's a large window so I suppose that's quite reasonable. It'll take a week plus to arrive. 😁P_20210308_171142.jpgP_20210308_171142.jpg

JohnDar

If temperature swings were the culprit, there would be a lot of vehicles with shattered side windows in the parking lots.

wdk450

Actually probably a bit. It's been quite warm in the day and cools off at night. We're wintering in Yuma currently. The glass guy came out today. If he can just put it back in $250. If he had to remove the window entirely $450. It's a large window so I suppose that's quite reasonable. It'll take a week plus to arrive. 😁View attachment 65187View attachment 65187

That's a great price! I had my small slider below the big rear window broken by a flying rock at my storage yard (another thread) about 6 years ago in Sacramento, and the mobile glass guy charged the storage yard attendant responsible about $250 then.