North Trail Wide TRAX experience?

NevadaDon

Hi, New to the forum but have been towing a travel trailer for quite a while. I'm looking at a new North Trail 31RLSS travel trailer that has a feature called Wide TRAX. Basically the two axles of the trailer are farther apart than normal. (There may be more but the salesman didn't specify anything else.)

Has anyone had any experience with this setup? It looks to me like it might scuff the tires a bit more when making tight turns but Heartland is saying it makes towing a lot better. That's certainly a tradeoff I'd accept! But I'd like to hear from someone who's experienced it.

Like the trailer otherwise. Seems to have quality accessories, etc. I'm not seeing much about the North Trail line on the forum. Does ultra light weight mean falls apart easily?

tnhbush

I'm sure there are smarter people then me here but my understanding is Wide TRAX make the center or gravity larger. With that you get more stability and less sway. When I did a test tow of my 31qbs with a 08 Toyota Sequoia it was done without a WDH (weight distribution hitch). Not the way to go but it told me how much the Wide Trax would help with things like sway. I pulled the TT for 15 miles or so and got very little sway even in a cross wind. I hope that helps you.

irvin56

Yes tnhbush is right for towing and

stability.

No lightweight does not mean it falls apart.
It all aluminam( Never could spell that word, can't even pronounce it either ), Easy pulling.
Cuts the head wind with the sloped front end.
Tire scuff is probably the same as other trailers.
Just make sure you pull ahead then back in straight to take any twist out of wheels.

I've done this always with any trailer I pull.

There is an Owners own forum at www.northtrailers.com
It's for the owners of N.T. units. we all use this and that forum.
just ask ?'s on here and anybody will answer them, as Heartland uses a lot of the same stuff in all the makes

Welcome to the ever growing Family of Heartland owners

Last edited:

charlie51

I have the Sundance 310qb, which is the same as the North Trail 31qbs. It has the Wide Trax and pulls great. I've talked pesonally to a couple of people who tow trailers all over the country from factories and dealers. The ones that have pulled a Heartland with the Wide Trax say it pulls better than anything they have ever pulled before. I figured they should know since they pull trailers for a living and have pulled all makes, shapes, and sizes. Don't really notice anymore tire scuff than other set ups.

I also have the Sundance 310QB with the wide track axles. At 33 ft long, it pulls better with the wide track than my old 26ft tt. We recently have a very smooth ride from Michigan down to Tennessee. No problems with the trailer even through the Smokies.

NevadaDon

Thanks for all the responses. It's nice to hear someone other than the salesman say good things about this innovation. Wonder if we'll see it on more rigs in the future.

kampfirekid

I promise you that once you tow one, you'll never go back. Our 31BHD tows 10X better than our last trailer, and it it weighs 2,000 pounds more and is five feet longer. Stability is the word.

NevadaDon

Thanks in part to the reassurance you folks provided, we are the proud owners of a 2010 North Trail 31RLSS. Towed it home the other day up a 7% grade then down the other side; trailer did fine the whole way. Thanks for your help!