Cleaning Product?

Bobbert

My 21FBS has been sitting under oak trees and is in dire need of washing. What cleaning product(s) / methods are recommended?? Thank you, Bob

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Cleaning

Bob, You will definately get a vast array of thoughts on this subject. Our personal preference is washing with Blue Coral car wash. It will not remove any wax you may have on your coach. For waxing we use Maguiars Premium Marine Wax which is safe for gell coat. It goes on and comes off easier than any other wax we have used and the buffer finishes the job. No matter what, "you'll be exhausted" when your finished! Whatever you do make sure you attack the roof first so you wash of any residue off the side walls and end caps.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
At our International Rally in Goshe, a Rep for the rubber roof said to wash the roof with Dawn dish washing liquid. I use it to wash the entire trailer, when I can.

BC

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Bob, We weren't able to make it to Goshen so you guys are one up on info. Previous posts suggested spic-n-span so that's what we used. It's dawn for me now! Thanks.

jbeletti

While the Dawn product was recommended by Dicor for the roof, Dawn will strip wax from the Gelcoat. So you may want to be careful using it for the roof unless you are planning to re-wax. That said, I suppoose Spic-n-Span will also strip wax as it drips down the side, front and back of the coach when cleaning the roof with it.

For the sides and ends of the coach, I'd suggest any wash product that is safe for boats (fiberglass). I use some sort of pink colored RV wash.

Jim

Jim

Erma

We use Simple Green. Use it in the house as well and if you just spray it on the roof, the sap as well as the dirt will just spray off.

jbeletti

For sure - Simple Green is strong stuff. I spray it full strength to clean my engine and engine compartment. Should strip your wax easily :eek:

osims

bsims
At the rally the Dicor man said to wash the roof with what you wash your dishes with and nothing stronger. He also said it could be washed with clorox, but someone had to spray water on the sidewalls to keep the bleach from ruining the decals.
Bill

enthuz

Simple Green does come in different strength levels. For the very concentrated kind, I find that you have to either order it or buy it from a speacialty store. It will strip paint and cut through just about any stain. We used it, and they still do, in the USMC along with CitriClean (stronger than Simple Green). I used to order it in 5 gal. buckets and in barrels for after deployment cleanups for 2nd AA Bn. As for what you see mostly in stores, that is a much milder and I've used to strip decals off of my company's vans while not stripping the paint. I used it with some other speacialty chemicals, but be careful by rinsing quickly after use.

I also heard that Zoom and Bam work wonderfully. I haven't tried them myself, but people on RV.NET swear by it.