Condensation?

funlabs

We just got back from our first trip in our new Sundance XL fifth wheel 287RL. I'd like to thank all of you for the information you have shared on this forum. It helped in our decision to buy Heartland.

We have a few things that we are addressing with the dealer - all relatively minor. There is one thing that really puzzled me, though. There seemed to be a fair amount of condensation on the floor of the storage area. Bottoms of things were wet, but not the tops.

It was hot so we ran the air conditioner quite a bit, but I wasn't expecting this. Is it normal? Is it condensation? I didn't feel any leaks in the plumbing that was visable.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

jimtoo

Hi funlabs,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. You will find lots of great people with lots of information.

On your water condensation, I don't think that is it. I would think you have a water leak somewhere. Make sure your dealer knows about this problem and it is probably a minor thing also, loose fitting most likely.

I did move the thread over to the Sundance area, where some of the other owners may give their views also.

Jim M

wdk450

Leak sources

Did you have any leaks in the water hookup center? There have been reports of water seeping under the wall into the storage compartment.
Did you take off the storage compartment black walls to access the plumbing? Someone noted that wiping the plumbing with dry toilet paper is a good way to detect small leaks.
Good luck!

tmcran

IMO this is not condensation. There is a leak somewhere. I would remove the black cover in the basement and check all the connections. If it is warm water it could be a leak from the water heater connections. Also check the UDC area and be sure the area is caullked. Water can leak from the fresh water filler hose and seep through the UDC into the basement area next to the black access panel.

funlabs

Thanks!

Thanks for your responses.

The trailer has been banished by the neighborhood covenants and has gone to storage for about 3 weeks. :( Fortunately, there's no water in it, so we shouldn't have an ongoing problem while it is in storage.

We'll take it for an overnight close to the dealer and then take it in to have some things fixed. I had a hunch that a leak was more likely than condensation - at least that's what I was hoping for. Condensation would be a harder problem to fix.

I did not notice any leaks in the water hook-up center and, in fact, the other side of the storage area seemed damper than that side.

I will let the dealer know and will fill the water tanks before we take it in hoping to recreate the problem for him.

Thanks!

Smokeater

Leak

Hi, We own a 2010 Bighorn 3580RL and last trip found that with using pump pressure for water supply, the pressure relief valve on the city water supply let go. After we put it back together, found a water leak in the storage area. After contacting the dealer, we were told that it is an ongoing problem with the valve. They are sending us a new one, which I will change myself. Dealer explained that is is extremely common and that it should have been recalled by the factory. We have a fair amount of water damge and will monitor it. Check, for sure behind the black wall. All water connections and heating units are there. You will learn alot from checking out that area. Most connections were barely hand tight! Good luck!