50 amp Ext Cord

SilverRhino

Our new BC is the first RV we have owned that has 50 amp service. If only 30 amp is available, can we connect to it ? If so will this cause any problems ?

I carried an extension cord in our previous 5th wheel and can't remember ever using it. After pricing the 50 amp cords :eek: I am wondering how many of you carry them and even more important....how many use them ? ( I know.....having the one time you need it is what's important ! )

tmcran

Yes you can use 30 amp. However, you may have to watch the things you run. Two A/C's will be a problem. You will only need a 30 amp bone to connect to your 50 amp cord.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
SilverRhino, you most certainly can plug into a 30 amp pedestal, with the proper adapter. I do carry a 15 foot 50 amp extension cord. And I have used it. The only downside to using a 30 amp is that if you have 2 air conditioners you will only be able to use one. And you might have to be careful when running the air and a bunch of other high watt items, like hair dryers and coffee pots.

Peace
Dave

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
SilverRino,

I only use 50 Amp hookup when it is extremely convenient. I do not carry a 50 amp extension but I do have both a 25 ft and 50 ft 30 amp extension. Of course I only have one A/C so that is not a problem, but I have only tripped a circuit breaker twice, both time I was using my electric skillet and had the A/C cycle just as the skillet was kicking in. Otherwise I've survived fine on 30 amp service.

I hate hauling those heavy 50 amp cords. 30 amp is sooooo much easier.

Keith

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I carry a 30 foot 50 amp extension cord for the 50 amp connection. I have only used it once. I also have a 30 amp cord which has the 30 amp male plug on one end and the 50 amp connection for the RV side on the other end. I also have what they call a "dog bone" which is a 50amp to 30 amp adapter. And I have a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter. You never know what you might run into. Do you need a 50 amp extension, well it all depends on where you camp. Some of the older campgrounds have the electric pedestal some distance away from the rig.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulation on your Big Country. We also have a BC and yes we have the 50 amp extension cord using it at least a couple times each year. We also do some camping at state/national parks in which there is only 30 amp services available so we also carry an a step down plug. I would suggest getting both becuz somewhere sometime you will need it. Have fun with your new condo on wheels.

geeksrus

I carry a 50A extension & have had to use it fairly often, 10 - 15% of the time... in fact I had to use it at the BC Heartland rally, last week.

Eh!

SilverRhino

Thanks to everyone for their input......decided to go ahead and buy the 50 amp extension now when I could shop for the best deal, better to be safe than sorry. Fixes on the road are always a headache and expensive!!

Thanks again for the info ;)

Jimmyt5

Any time I have needed an extenstion very rare, I have used my 30 amp cord, heck of a lot cheaper and lighter.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I kept the 30A extension I had for the TT and bought a 50A - 30A dogbone adapter for the 5'er. A lot lighter and easier to roll up. Only needed the extension for the TT at some of the state park sites we used.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Thanks to everyone for their input......decided to go ahead and buy the 50 amp extension now when I could shop for the best deal, better to be safe than sorry. Fixes on the road are always a headache and expensive!!

Thanks again for the info ;)

Ain't this Forum Great!!! You ask and you get a ton of honest opinions that let you make your own decisions!!:):)

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
SilverRino,

I only use 50 Amp hookup when it is extremely convenient. I do not carry a 50 amp extension but I do have both a 25 ft and 50 ft 30 amp extension. Of course I only have one A/C so that is not a problem, but I have only tripped a circuit breaker twice, both time I was using my electric skillet and had the A/C cycle just as the skillet was kicking in. Otherwise I've survived fine on 30 amp service.

I hate hauling those heavy 50 amp cords. 30 amp is sooooo much easier.

Keith

Keith,
You will need to bring both extensions with you to Hatteras. That way you can stay in the parking lot and I can have my spot back.:eek::D:p